It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:51 pm

Sonus interruptus on borrowed stops

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

gecko

Sonus interruptus on borrowed stops

PostMon Mar 07, 2005 10:46 pm

Greetings to all -

I'm having trouble getting borrowed stops to work correctly. Using HRSA (Highly Reduced St. Anne's) organ1 as an example: the pedal 8 is borrowed from the great 8. If I draw both of these, then if notes are played and then *all* released on the great, any notes being held on the pedal are also cut off, with a click, as if a midi "note off" is being sent to the entire pedal 8' stop. (Is that why it's called a "stop"?) To put it another way, if I stomp on a pedal note and play everything super-legato on the great, then the pedal note keeps sounding, but if I play a note or chord on the great and then release it, or if I try to make some intelligent phrasing on the great (which involves brief silences), then the pedal note cuts off.

For purposes of experimentation, I have only midi outs coming out of my key/pedalboards. The midi channels are set one per key/pedalboard, and those channels are not used for anything else. There are no midi loopbacks or other fancy devices. I do use a midi merge box, but since the computer is the only "out" device, and this problem affects only borrowed stops, I doubt that's the problem.

Any words of advice?

best,
stuart
I still have a very small website
http://dustyfeet.com

mdyde

PostTue Mar 08, 2005 6:17 am

Are you sure you have the re-directable outputs disabled (set to unused channels) on the 're-directable MIDI inputs' tab of the settings screens?

It sounds like you are somehow getting MIDI note-off messages routed to both the manual and pedalboard. Or is your MIDI hardware sending MIDI 'all notes off' or reset messages when it shouldn't? To my knowledge there are no bugs in Hauptwerk's implmentation of borrowing, i.e. if you play a pipe from two keyboards and then release the note on one it will keep sounding.

I would recommend running MIDI-OX when Hauptwerk isn't running to check the MIDI messages that are being received by the computer:

http://www.midiox.com/

Martin.

gecko

PostTue Mar 08, 2005 5:18 pm

Thanks - MIDI-OX figured it out in a few seconds. One of my keyboards, in what I can only describe as underhanded fascism, sends "all notes off" messages whether I want them or not - this "feature" is even mentioned in the manual, buried in the middle of a bunch of poorly printed pages in 6-point type, but findable once I knew to look for it. Easy enough to filter out.
I still have a very small website
http://dustyfeet.com

Return to Technical support