It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am

Kick Switch Control

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

jwrigh10

Kick Switch Control

PostTue Nov 03, 2009 6:03 pm

Is it possible to have my kick switch turn on the Sostenuto and perform the sustenuto function every time I depress it. In other words, I can get it to turn on the sostenuto button, but not hold the notes too. Do these have to be done by two separate entities (E.g. a button to turn on the sostenuto and the kick switch to operate it?) I know that this would limit the switch to only the sostenuto function and not allow me to use it to act as a sustain unless I turn on the sustain via another switch, but I would use the sostento more.

I hope this makes sense. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim W
JWrigh10

schultzpo

Re: Kick Switch Control

PostWed Nov 04, 2009 8:42 am

I’m not quite sure what you mean, but I have the Sostenuto wired to a kick switch on the swell shoe. The operation is as follows:

Hold a chord on Great
Kick and hold the switch
The chord is now held
Release the kick switch to end the Sostenuto

I have not wired the sustain function but I suspect it only deals with the piano stops.
I'm using the MW 3/31
Last edited by schultzpo on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Per S

ReinerS

PostWed Nov 04, 2009 9:32 am

Hello Jim,

which sample set are you using? The sostenuto is most likely implemented differently in the various sets providing such a function, e.g. in the Jensen sets there are extra mode swithes labeled sustain and sostenuto that just select which effect should be controlled by the kickswitch.

Best regards
Reiner

jwrigh10

PostWed Nov 04, 2009 10:30 pm

I am using Neil Jensen's 3/11 Entry Organ. To clarify, I want to be able to use the kick switch to simultaneously turn on the Sostenuto function and perform the sostenuto action. Presently, it seems like I have to pre-program all my pistons to have the sostento "on" then use the quick switch to make it work. I was wondering if I can set it up so I don't have to pre-program the button to be on, but use the kick switch and the sostenuto function works.

JIm
JWrigh10

ReinerS

PostThu Nov 05, 2009 2:29 am

Hello Jim,

I will look into the wiring of the 3/11. Since I am the one who programmed the ODF, I should be able to figure out exactly how everything is wired again.
I would think you should be able to connect the kickswitch to both the sostenuto switch and the kickswitch of the sample set, but this would mean you would not be able to use the sustain any more.

Best regards
Reiner

jwrigh10

PostThu Nov 05, 2009 11:03 pm

Thank you. I'll be interested in what you discover.

jim W
JWrigh10

engrssc

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 10:02 pm

ReinerS wrote: ,I will look into the wiring of the 3/11. Since I am the one who programmed the ODF, I should be able to figure out exactly how everything is wired again.
I would think you should be able to connect the kickswitch to both the sostenuto switch and the kickswitch of the sample set, but this would mean you would not be able to use the sustain any more.

Didn't get a answer as to the function of sostenuto and sustain using the kick switch.

A further question if there is another external way to add sostenuto to a particular manual even if not provide to be operated by the sample set. Looking for alternates ways.

Another useful feature that maybe has been implemented already. that would be if the kick switch were operated and held (on) that the last note played would be held/sustained until another note (on that same manual) were played. Releasing the kick switch would remove this feature until it were to be needed again. Permitting a note (or a chord) to be held white playing something else on another manual (out of reach).

I'm aware that the MIDI controller for Sostenuto is CC#66.and Sustain is CC#64.

Roman provided this possible solution concerning using his BBSP board:
https://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php?R2=USD&section=prod_info&product=BBSP

Switch inputs can only be programmed in a group, thanks to split feature
you can have 2 separate groups in one board.
If it's only one CC, then you could make split after 31st note,
splitting the BBSP for 31 notes as it was before, and 1 note in upper
split, which now plays notes as well, but in different MIDI channel.
Now to change it to CC66, play that one last note, and enter #2135.
Shorting that input will send CC#31 with value 127, releasing CC#31 with
value 0. Now you have repeat #11 for 35 times before that input will be
transposed up to CC#66. It's good to have it connected to MIDIOX and
observe what the input is doing between iterations.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Technical support