It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:50 am

Weird Behaviour...

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

pat17

Weird Behaviour...

PostMon Mar 08, 2010 2:30 am

I have been experiencing a weird behaviour from Hauptwerk recently.

It started when I moved my Mac Mini by a few inches. I had not unplugged it, but I did it while power was off.

The Mac acted weirdly afterwards, looking for a network that didn't exist when being started. Some other problems occured that were more specifically affecting Hauptwerk -

- when loading the Anloo organ, it halted once. I waited for 10 minutes or so, but the progress bar was standing still at 1/3 approximatively.
- when playing E3 on Great, another stop was being heard on top of those selected. It started with newly installed Saint-Goerges Casavant (Trompette 8' invited itself to the show). Thanks to François / Micdev a way was found to solve it. But actually it came also with the Anloo organ (Principael 8' if I am not mistaken) and Saint Anne's Moseley (I don't remember which one, but still E3 on Great).
- last but not least, when playing with the Ghent Carillion, the bells stop being heard after a few seconds playing. The first one played is not reproduced normally by the way - as if connected while playing.

I solved the ghost network issue by the classical disk repair / authorisation repair method (I am using fully updated Snow Leopard). All connections have also been unplugged and replugged. Unfortunately, the issues connected to Hauptwerk are still there. :oops:

What should I do? De-install and re-install Hauptwerk and the instruments? Or is there any other solution to be tried in the meantime? :oops:

Thanks in advance for your help! 8)

mdyde

Re: Weird Behaviour...

PostMon Mar 08, 2010 7:08 am

Hello Pat,

I solved the ghost network issue by the classical disk repair / authorisation repair method (I am using fully updated Snow Leopard).

Do you mean that the hard-disk had actually become corrupted? And/or damaged?

If had been corrupted (but not damaged) then it's probably safest to wipe the hard-disk completely, reinstall OS X, Hauptwerk and your sample sets from clean, and then restore your Hauptwerk settings from your last settings backup ('File | Restore ...' in Hauptwerk).

If the hard-disk is damaged (has any bad sectors) then it probably needs to be replaced, otherwise you might have any number of bizarre and unpredictable problems in the future.

- when playing E3 on Great, another stop was being heard on top of those selected. It started with newly installed Saint-Goerges Casavant (Trompette 8' invited itself to the show). Thanks to François / Micdev a way was found to solve it. But actually it came also with the Anloo organ (Principael 8' if I am not mistaken) and Saint Anne's Moseley (I don't remember which one, but still E3 on Great).

Hello Francois/Pat,

Can you tell us what solved the problem you had with that particular note on the St. George's Casavant?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

pat17

PostMon Mar 08, 2010 8:00 am

Hi Martin! :P

mdyde wrote:Do you mean that the hard-disk had actually become corrupted? And/or damaged?

When checking the disk itself, nothing came out of it. When checking the authorisations, I got two error messages -

- permissions differ on "usr/share/derby", should be drwx-xr-x, they are lrwxr-xr-x.
- Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Core...as been modified and will not be repaired.

The authorisation repair procedure solved the first one, but not the second one. I asked on a Mac user forum what to think about these messages, and it appears from the answers I got there is nothing to worry about - quite a current result actually. I do not know if you are familiar with that bit, and can confirm or not... :oops:

If had been corrupted (but not damaged) then it's probably safest to wipe the hard-disk completely, reinstall OS X, Hauptwerk and your sample sets from clean, and then restore your Hauptwerk settings from your last settings backup ('File | Restore ...' in Hauptwerk).

Actually I can re-install it easily even without restoration - I have got all the downloaded files - Anloo, Ghent Carillion, etc... - in a separate folder, and the original DVDs at hand - Hauptwerk, St. Georges Casavant. I have not done much tuning (combinations files and so forth...) that may be lost by a re-installation.

If the hard-disk is damaged (has any bad sectors) then it probably needs to be replaced, otherwise you might have any number of bizarre and unpredictable problems in the future.

From the procedure already done, it looks now the HD is fine. No further error reported. :wink:

Can you tell us what solved the problem you had with that particular note on the St. George's Casavant?

I check with François as it is easier for me to exchange on technical issues in my mother tongue… which is the same than his! :wink:

I went to “Organ Setting | Connect switch (midi) input”. On the left-hand list box, I selected the Greats’s Trompette 8' (the one that is activated when playing E3). I set back the “INPUT SWITCH” to “NONE” (it was set to Great Keyboard if I am not mistaken… I don’t remember the value for sure). When done, it was back to normal… :wink:

mdyde

PostMon Mar 08, 2010 8:17 am

Hello Pat,

When checking the disk itself, nothing came out of it. When checking the authorisations, I got two error messages -

- permissions differ on "usr/share/derby", should be drwx-xr-x, they are lrwxr-xr-x.
- Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Core...as been modified and will not be repaired.

The authorisation repair procedure solved the first one, but not the second one. I asked on a Mac user forum what to think about these messages, and it appears from the answers I got there is nothing to worry about - quite a current result actually. I do not know if you are familiar with that bit, and can confirm or not..

That probably doesn't sound like anything that would affect Hauptwerk, so there's probably no need to reinstall the hard-disk.

I check with François as it is easier for me to exchange on technical issues in my mother tongue… which is the same than his! :wink:

I went to “Organ Setting | Connect switch (midi) input”. On the left-hand list box, I selected the Greats’s Trompette 8' (the one that is activated when playing E3). I set back the “INPUT SWITCH” to “NONE” (it was set to Great Keyboard if I am not mistaken… I don’t remember the value for sure). When done, it was back to normal…

On the 'General settings | Switch (MIDI) inputs' screen, please check that you don't have the MIDI input path (=MIDI port+channel) of your Great MIDI keyboard selected for any of the entries in the left-hand browse list.

It sounds as though perhaps you've accidentally selected that path for one or more entries, causing unexpected stops or other switches/functions to be triggered for the sample sets your mentioned when you play the keys on your MIDI keyboard.

If you can't spot the problem and you need us to help, please send us a diagnostic file ('File | Create diagnostic file') so that we can have a look through your settings.
Best regards, Martin.

pat17

PostWed Mar 10, 2010 4:57 am

Hi Martin,

Just a quick note to thank you for your advice... I have not tried to implement it yet actually - hence I have not had time to re-install Hauptwerk - as the very limited time I can dedicate to my organ these days is concentrated to... playing it! :oops:

I shall do it during the week-end (Friday-Saturday in the UAE) and let you know about it. :wink:

pat17

PostThu Mar 11, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi Martin,

I took advantage of our starting week-end to have a serious look at last... :wink:

mdyde wrote: On the 'General settings | Switch (MIDI) inputs' screen, please check that you don't have the MIDI input path (=MIDI port+channel) of your Great MIDI keyboard selected for any of the entries in the left-hand browse list.

It worked! All the instruments which I didn't fix through Francois' method have been solved this way - which is logical in a way as tby going to 'General Settings' instead of 'Organ Settings' it's applying the same remedy to all. :wink:

And now the Ghent carillion is singing as before - I just realised the sound that vanished came from the very same problem, but since there is no stop on the carillion, instead of being able to modify the registration... it just cancels any sound. :D

Remains the problem of the Saint Georges Casavant that I cannot save as a stand-by organ. Not such a problem actually, as I can get it through 'load a recent organ'. I'm not going to re-install the whole program for this small issue and it will give me an extra reason to upgrade to Hauptwerk 4 in due time! :wink:

Thanks again to Francois and Martin for their help! 8)

Patrick

mdyde

PostThu Mar 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks, Pat.

Glad to hear you have it working now.

Remains the problem of the Saint Georges Casavant that I cannot save as a stand-by organ. Not such a problem actually, as I can get it through 'load a recent organ'. I'm not going to re-install the whole program for this small issue and it will give me an extra reason to upgrade to Hauptwerk 4 in due time!

Are you referring to this issue?:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5923&p=43255#p43255

If so, please see my reply in that post for a work-around, i.e. you can temporarily use the 32-bit version, just to assign the stand-by entries to the menu (copied below for good measure):

Yes - there's a known issue relating to sub-menus not be activated properly in the current (v3.30) 64-bit tech preview:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5788

(Summary: it's a bug in the version of the Qt libraries that were current when v3.30 was released, but we expect that to be be fixed for Hauptwerk v4.0, and it's an easy issue to work around.)

The 32-bit and 64-bit versions use the same settings, so it's possible to assign the stand-by entries using the 32-bit version if you prefer that to the work-around given in the above topic.
Best regards, Martin.

pat17

PostFri Mar 12, 2010 12:42 am

mdyde wrote:Are you referring to this issue?:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5923&p=43255#p43255

If so, please see my reply in that post for a work-around, i.e. you can temporarily use the 32-bit version, just to assign the stand-by entries to the menu (copied below for good measure)

Hi Martin,

Yes, I am referring to the very same one. I've tried to solve it the very same way, without any success so far - I try to declare it as stand-alone organ # 6 in the 32-bit version, which is not used in the 64-bit version, but it still does not appear in the 64-bit version. But again, this is not a big deal, I can easily open through the 'load recent organs' option. :wink:

Thanks again Martin! 8)

mdyde

PostFri Mar 12, 2010 7:34 am

Hello Pat,

The 32-bit 'stand-alone' configuration (N.B. not the 32-bit 'Hauptwerk for MIDI sequencing' icon) and the 64-bit version both use exactly the same settings files.

Could you perhaps have made the change in the MIDI sequencing configuration (desktop icon) instead of the stand-alone?

Or did you perhaps somehow launch the 32-bit stand-alone configuration whilst the 64-bit was still running? If so, the settings from one could overwrite the other, preventing your setting change from being saved properly.
Best regards, Martin.

pat17

PostFri Mar 12, 2010 11:21 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Pat,

The 32-bit 'stand-alone' configuration (N.B. not the 32-bit 'Hauptwerk for MIDI sequencing' icon) and the 64-bit version both use exactly the same settings files.

Could you perhaps have made the change in the MIDI sequencing configuration (desktop icon) instead of the stand-alone?

Or did you perhaps somehow launch the 32-bit stand-alone configuration whilst the 64-bit was still running? If so, the settings from one could overwrite the other, preventing your setting change from being saved properly.

You're right again Martin... I did it by mistake on the midi sequencer. :oops:

On the first Mini on which I installed Hauptwerk, the icons (all alike) were in order - stand-alone 32 bit, midi sequencer, 64-bit. On the second Mac, it is midi sequencer, 32 bit, 64 bits. I pressed the first icon without looking. :oops:

Sorry and thank you again Martin! 8)
Last edited by pat17 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostFri Mar 12, 2010 11:24 am

Thanks, Pat.

No problem!
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support