It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:59 pm

Rhythmic clicking

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Clementmatchett

Rhythmic clicking

PostThu Apr 22, 2010 10:15 am

Hi,
I have just invested in a new PC running 64 bit Windows 7, with the intention of using it only for my Hauptwerk organs (St Carlo, Brescia and 1722 Silbermann). I loaded everything up without problem, but the sound produced includes a rythmic cliking or popping, about every 0.5secs. It doesn't occur when I play back a CD, but it is still there through headphones and with the touch screen disconnected.

Anyone got any ideas about what is causing that and how to stop it?

Peter

mdyde

Re: Rhythmic clicking

PostThu Apr 22, 2010 10:35 am

Hello Peter,

My advice would be to start by checking the PC for DPC (hardware driver) latency spikes.

This guide covers troubleshooting PC audio issues, including how to do that:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/Tutorials/WindowsOptimizationsAndDiagnostics.pdf

Also try the other things listed there if that doesn't help (referencing also the 'performance tuning' section in the Hauptwerk user guide if needed).

What audio interface are you using, and how much memory is installed?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Clementmatchett

PostThu Apr 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks for your very prompt response, Martin,

I hardly know how to reply - I am chemist, laywer and musicologist, but no computer expert, and I am not sure I understand your question - but:-

Easy answer, at present only 4GB RAM is installed on my new machine.

Apart from the mouse, screen, headphones/speakers and the keyboards, there is nothing on the computer - it only arrived this afternoon. No software which was not bundled with Windows other than Hauptwerk. I am using two M-Audio 49e keyboards, plugged in via USB ports to the on-board sound device on the motherboard. Therein may lie the problem, since I note that the M-Audio website does not list a 64-bit Windows 7 driver for these keyboards, which were second-hand. (I am a harpsichord player and have just begun to explore the organ repertoire via Hauptwerk).

I wonder if anyone else who has used oldish M-Audio keyboards has had the same problem with 64-bit W7?

Unfortunately, these driver problems, if that is what this is, seem to have stayed with us as we up-grade our OSs.

I would be grateful for any input, either from you or from anyone else, since I have much to do besides sorting out my organ.

Thanks,

Peter

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Hello Peter,

Have you actually read and gone through the steps listed in the PDF Martin linked to above? The steps are pretty easy to understand, so you should just go through each of those and follow the directions for testing.

I would guess it might have to do with a network card, if you disable WIndows networks, both wired and wireless, does this solve your issue? This is discussed in the PDF article on the tutorials site, so you should go through those steps since most likely it will solve your issue.

If you are not able to find your way around a computer enough to follow those steps then perhaps you might try finding a local computer technician to lend a hand, or even a friend that may be able to help.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Clementmatchett

PostFri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 am

Dear Brett,

I had seen the pdf which Martin referred to, and had printed it off, prior to this contact, but I haven't gone rigorously through the lot yet - just adopted the most likely, as it seems to me - there are, after all, 24 points and I have only had my new machine for 18 hours!

I just thought, as I am sure many people do - this must have happened to someone else out there, and there will be an easy answer.

I still live in hope, but will start the process you suggest.

Best wishes,

Peter

pwhodges

PostFri Apr 23, 2010 3:39 am

Clementmatchett wrote:this must have happened to someone else out there, and there will be an easy answer.

The trouble is that there are many possible answers - each may be "easy", but the tricky part is finding which "easy" answer is the one you require. For instance, I have in the past had the kind of clicking that I guess you are describing, and have cured it by replacing a cheap power supply with a more expensive one with the same nominal specifications (I think this is less likely to be the cause with a modern machine than in the past). I have also heard similar (though less regular) effects produced by badly designed video cards, or by bad drivers for OK video cards!

What I mean to say is that there is no magic answer, and it really is best to go patiently through all the suggested steps to diagnose or eliminate the many possibilities.

Paul

mdyde

PostFri Apr 23, 2010 5:10 am

Hello Peter,

Also, you didn't mention what audio interface you're using?

If you aren't doing so already, I'd strongly recommend using a good, reliable basic semi-pro/pro audio interface, e.g. one of those that we list in the prerequisites section in the user guide:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkPrerequisites.pdf
http://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/TechnicalData.pdf

E.g. the M-Audio 2496 and 1010LT are low-cost (new or second-hand), popular, easy-to-use and reliable interfaces on the PC for Hauptwerk.

You won't necessarily be able to get reliable glitch-free low-latency audio (needed for Hauptwerk) with the audio output built into a PC motherboard, or using budget PC sound cards.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Clementmatchett

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Thank you all for your various responses.

Though I had tried reducing the buffer size, that did not cure my problem, though opting for the maximum buffer size did.

But in a belt 'n braces approach, I have also opted for the M-Audio 2496 sound card which was recommended - installed but yet to be tested - there is a life beyond Hauptwerk!

Peter

Return to Technical support