It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:17 am

HW4 & Launchpad Button LEDs

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mdyde

Re: HW4 & Launchpad Button LEDs

PostFri Sep 09, 2011 6:57 am

Hello John/Andrew,

Yes - if you configured Hauptwerk to use a particular MIDI interface/port for some virtual controls and then you subsequently disconnected that MIDI interface/port and try to launch Hauptwerk then Hauptwerk would have shown you the following warning:

"Some audio or MIDI hardware that Hauptwerk is configured to use cannot be accessed. Do you want to continue, in which case Hauptwerk will attempt to update your settings to use the hardware available currently, or exit and keep your settings?"

If you chose to configure in that situation then Hauptwerk would have re-defaulted the MIDI port setting for those virtual controls to '<Any enabled port>', since it had no way of knowing which, if any, of your new/remaining MIDI ports would have been most appropriate.

Hence if you remove some MIDI ports that you had configured Hauptwerk to use and connected several others, then you would need to clear you MIDI settings and re- auto-detect them, so that they would be reconfigured for the intended new MIDI ports.

I'll log as an enhancement request that it might be preferable automatically to clear the MIDI settings completely for any virtual control whose MIDI port has been disconnected, rather than just re-defaulting its MIDI port setting to '<Any enabled port>', to try to avoid any potential for confusion in that situation.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Andrew Grahame

PostFri Sep 09, 2011 7:02 am

Many thanks, Martin. The depth of fine detail already in the program is amazing, and every little tweak which gets added makes it even more so.

Andrew

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Sep 21, 2011 8:30 pm

Hello Martin - I have a new Launchpad question.

When selecting "fully on / off" for a Launchpad button, how does one determine the colour when in the "on" position? When choosing this option, the colour choices on the left side of the dialog box blank out. Does this mean that choosing colours is not possible if selecting this function?

Andrew

mdyde

PostThu Sep 22, 2011 5:23 am

Hello Andrew,

Correct - it isn't possible to choose a colour for that mode. Internally, the Launchpad's LEDs are always amber in colour when at full brightness.
Best regards, Martin.

Andrew Grahame

PostThu Sep 22, 2011 5:36 am

Thanks Martin.

g cluff

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 11:36 am

for some reason my launchpad LEDs don't lite. might have setup wrong or not enought USB power. is the setup posted somewhere? i might have missed it.
GERALD CLUFF
FOREST GROVE, OR

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 11:46 am

Hello Gerald,

Have you set the MIDI output correctly from Hauptwerk back to your Launchpad?
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

g cluff

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 12:27 pm

do you have a screen shot?
also not sure if the group knows about StyleFlip for skins for the LaunchPad.

they are updating their only fomr for the skin. here is their reply:
We are currently correcting some errors with our template. It should be available again within the next week or two.
Thanks,
Dan
StyleFlip.com
GERALD CLUFF
FOREST GROVE, OR

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 12:35 pm

I don't currently have a Launchpad here, so cannot offer a meaningful screen shot. However you just need to have the Launchpad MIDI ports ticked in the left hand columns (Console not Sequencer) for both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. Here is the original text from the Launchpad email:

Make sure the Launchpad ports are ticked in the left-hand columns on both the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT screen tabs on the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen then use right-click auto-detection to configure stops or pistons for for Launchpad buttons however you prefer them for each organ.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

g cluff

PostThu Oct 06, 2011 3:13 pm

thanks, i didn't set the MIDI OUT for LP. works fine.
GERALD CLUFF
FOREST GROVE, OR

g cluff

PostFri Oct 07, 2011 6:33 am

can the DIM of the LED be turned off for other colors beside the default? also can a "PISTON" function be set to stay lighted when that piston is selected (like Rodgers)?
GERALD CLUFF
FOREST GROVE, OR

mdyde

PostFri Oct 07, 2011 7:04 am

Hello Gerald,

can the DIM of the LED be turned off for other colors beside the default?

No. The LEDs intentionally show their colour in a dim state when the associated virtual draw-knob/tab/piston is off so that you can tell what type of virtual control you've assigned to the button, by way of the colour.

also can a "PISTON" function be set to stay lighted when that piston is selected (like Rodgers)?

If the virtual piston is 'stateful'/'blind' (i.e. if the virtual piston is designed to light up on the screen) then yes - any associated Launchpad LED will automatically reflect its state. For example, Hauptwerk's master generals and master stepper pistons behave in that way.

However, the pistons in most sample sets are momentary in action (non-'stateful'), i.e. their is no concept of any one of them being 'on', which is common in European organs. For example, the St. Anne's native divisional pistons and Hauptwerk's master scoped pistons are non-stateful, whereas the St. Anne's FF and PP are stateful (and the master stepper and master generals).

In general, all of your questions have already been covered fully earlier in this forum topic, e.g. here:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8410&start=30#p63014
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8410&start=45#p63058

Please do take try to take some time to read back through the topic and the instructions that were sent with the build for details of the features, so that we don't need to keep explaining things multiple times - many thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

G3

PostFri Oct 07, 2011 9:06 am

Hi Gerald,

With my sample sets, I don't use the included pistons at all with my Launchpad. I only use the master and stepper types built into HW4. then the pistons stay lighted and toggle as they do on a Rodgers.

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

g cluff

PostFri Oct 07, 2011 11:48 am

thanks for your response. I was hoping it could be an "option" to have or not to have them "DImmed". Also using the LP as lighted pistons.
GERALD CLUFF
FOREST GROVE, OR

engrssc

PostMon Oct 10, 2011 1:32 pm

mdyde wrote:However, the pistons in most sample sets are momentary in action (non-'stateful'), i.e. their is no concept of any one of them being 'on', which is common in European organs. For example, the St. Anne's native divisional pistons and Hauptwerk's master scoped pistons are non-stateful, whereas the St. Anne's FF and PP are stateful (and the master stepper and master generals).

Is there any logic (software) that could be used to make a momentary piston stateful? That is with the contact closure, first all existing lit pistons(in a particular grouping, i.e. divisionals, generals on a particular manual) would be canceled followed immediately by the particular piston that was pushed being held in an on state? Assuming that any previously turned on/held pistons (during a prior session before shutdown) be canceled upon restart. In other words, each time Hauptwerk was started, it would start with no pistons being on.

I know this goes against the so-called norm, but it would be very user friendly. My suggestion has always been, before the organist start setting up c/a of manual registration to always push the g/c. Honestly, I never checked to see if this general canceling is done "automatically" upon startup.

Rgds,
Ed
PreviousNext

Return to Technical support