It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 pm

HW4 & Launchpad Button LEDs

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

G3

Re: HW4 & Launchpad Button LEDs

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Mine are named the same and show up the same: Launchpad 1 and Launchpad 2.

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

mdyde

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Thanks, George.

That looks fine too.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

AEK

PostSun Jun 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Hello, Martin!
Very good news you have reported. Cool that you managed to so quickly find a solution. :D . We look forward to Update! Unfortunately, and yet I have only one Launchpad.
Best regards.

sweetbb

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi,

I have probably missed it in the forum, this is all I can find. :mrgreen: I am considdering getting 2 or 3 Launcpads in order to control my console instead of the touch screen, or rather, in addition to the touch screen.

Will I be able to color code the Launcpad buttons, for example, in order to group certain types of stops - e.g. yellow = strings, white = diapasons, red = reeds, etc.

Will it be possible to use 2 units with HW4 advanced? I can't seem to find any decent information or even a Novation manual.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Brian.
Regards,
Brian Sweetnam
South Africa

kiwiplant

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 12:50 pm

Brian,

Check out Pierre's nice setup
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8308

Here is a video I made showing launchpad colors and intensity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gHJ_ulpSss

Paul

mdyde

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Hello Brian,

I am considdering getting 2 or 3 Launcpads in order to control my console instead of the touch screen, or rather, in addition to the touch screen.

Having been working with it for the past couple of weeks, I think the Launchpad will actually be an excellent and viable alternative to a touch-screen when full support for it is included in Hauptwerk (that will be included formally in v4.0.1).

Of course a Launchpad doesn't have the ability to show actual stop names but having the ability to use different colours and to lay the buttons out in the same format as they appear on the virtual jambs of each virtual organ almost makes up for that and very few organs have jambs with more than 8 draw-knobs in any column.

An advantage is also that you can operate multiple buttons (stops/pistons/etc.) simultaneously. It appears to be solidly-built and works well ergonomically.

E.g. you could have one Launchpad for the left stop jamb (or maybe even two if you're using extremely large sample sets), one for the right, and a third for pistons or other miscellaneous functions. Maybe even a fourth for controlling Hauptwerk's Registration control panel buttons.

Will I be able to color code the Launcpad buttons, for example, in order to group certain types of stops - e.g. yellow = strings, white = diapasons, red = reeds, etc.

Yes. The supported colours are red, green, orange and yellow. (The LEDs don't allow blue or white.)

Will it be possible to use 2 units with HW4 advanced?

Yes - it should be.
Best regards, Martin.

kiwiplant

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 1:08 pm

It is possible to print stop names on a sheet of transparency film (not sure it that is still sold since LCD projectors).
The film then is an overlay on top of the launchpad. To change the names for a different organ just put on a new film.
Luckily the launchpad buttons are about 8.5 inches wide like the film. The extra height (11 in) can be used to wrap around the launchpad top. The buttons (so far) take enough pressure to press that there are not multiples activated with the film.

This is the same sort of idea as keyboard covers. For example http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Detail?no=130

An alternative is to use a label printer and stick them on the buttons, but that is not good with multiple organs.

Paul

mdyde

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 1:27 pm

Hello all,

I've just emailed all Hauptwerk v4 users known to have Novation Launchpads to send you a temporary development build that should add full native support for the Novation Launchpad, including auto-detection, automatic MIDI output, LED colour selection and support for multiple Launchpad units. Make sure the Launchpad ports are ticked in the left-hand columns on both the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT screen tabs on the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen then use right-click auto-detection to configure stops or pistons for for Launchpad buttons however you prefer them for each organ.

Please let us know if you find any problems with it.

If any other existing Hauptwerk v4/Launchpad users need this build, please let us know and we can send it to you. If you don't have a Launchpad yet, but are thinking of buying one, I'd recommend waiting until we incorporate the change formally into the forthcoming Hauptwerk v4.0.1.
Best regards, Martin.

IainStinson

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 2:40 pm

Martin,

Thanks for the temporary version of HW4 which includes the LaunchPad support. It works just fine with my Launchpad on Windows 7 (64 bit). I've used it for divisional pistons, some master piston functions, stops and some control functions (record start/stop). Lamps work and are controllable. With the autodetect midi feature it's very easy to configure (much easier than encoding the midi strings). The interface for configuring the lamps is well designed. It makes the Launchpad a nice low cost interface for a variety of control functions (80 illuminating buttons for around £110 - £1.37 each).

Thanks for the excellent support: I really appreciate the effort you make to support the HW user community. (I feel a little guilty in having needed support for the Phoenix console and the Launchpad with HW4 but you've delivered both in a timely fashion: it is much appreciated.)

Iain

mdyde

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks, Iain.

You're very welcome and glad to hear it's working well. Much appreciated.
Best regards, Martin.

G3

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Wow! Awesome! Go Launchpad Lovers, this is the answer to those tedious hours of
programming lights one at a time in HW3.

Thanks Martin, what a nice gift. Works perfect.

George (G3)

P.S. I feel like I should have to pay something for this.

mdyde

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Thanks. Great - glad you like it!
Best regards, Martin.

AEK

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 4:23 pm

Hello Martin!
Great news, Martin! Only problem I have basic mail ( korobov.andre @ gmail.com ) - it did not come. I request duplicate links update 4.01 for MAC OS X or PM forum or e-mail: a.korobov@list.ru
Thank you.

timhowarduk

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 4:25 pm

This has got me really interested. One question - do you need the Advanced version of HW to use a launchpad with LED lights?

Thanks
Tim

G3

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Hello AEK,
My copy was in my spam folder.

George (G3)
PreviousNext

Return to Technical support