It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 am

HW4 & Launchpad Button LEDs

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Ted Williamson

Re: HW4 & Launchpad Button LEDs

PostThu Aug 18, 2011 11:02 am

Martin,
Please send the HW 4.0 Launchpad Build to me. I'm having a hard time programming 8 of the circular buttons across the top and I'm hoping the Build will make that work for me. I had no problem in jorgan, but for some reason I can't get it to work in HW 4.0. Thanks,
Ted Williamson

mdyde

PostThu Aug 18, 2011 11:16 am

Hello Ted,

I've sent you an email with the temporary development build.

Please use 'Organ settings | Organ configuration wizard' to reset your MIDI settings, then use auto-detection to (re)configure everything, so that any MIDI settings you might previously have tried to configure manually for your Launchpad can't interfere with Hauptwerk's native Launchpad implementation.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

kiwiplant

PostThu Aug 18, 2011 11:21 am

Is there a newer testing build than the one many weeks (months?) ago?

mdyde

PostThu Aug 18, 2011 11:32 am

Is there a newer testing build than the one many weeks (months?) ago?

There have been no more Launchpad changes since the build I sent to you. I.e. everybody who I sent a build to with Launchpad support should have the Launchpad support in it's latest and final state.

(There have been lots of other changes in more builds to add support for other MIDI implementations apart from the Novation Launchpad. I've sent you the most recent temporary development build in case you need it for some other reason, but Hauptwerk v4.0.1 isn't yet at the beta testing so please note that we're trying only to send builds to people when they specifically need them, so that we can focus as much as possible on working on v4.0.1.)
Best regards, Martin.

Andrew Grahame

PostSun Aug 21, 2011 6:33 am

Hello Martin,

I've just taken delivery of a Launchpad to replace the Korg NanoKey2 units I have been using as temporary "pistons". I already have the upgrade patch to HW4 for my Behringer UMX-61 keyboards, so I have the Launchpad facility too.

At first glance this looks like a wonderful device. I've quickly set up just one organ (Velesovo) on it for testing, but I've struck a small problem. When I started to play something I found that odd notes on the manual keys began activating certain stops. In particular, the pedal couplers started popping in and out in response to some notes being played towards the top of the middle octave. This wasn't happening before I installed the Launchpad, so I assume that it must be in some way related to it.

When using auto-detect, some Launchpad buttons reacted as if there was already something set on them. Even though I then cleared that individual setting and chose just the one function it still does funny things when receiving an input from a keyboard.

I am wondering if I should carry out a total MIDI reset using the configuration wizard to clean out all the settings first, as you have previously advised in another post? Also, I have not done anything to reconfigure the Launchpad in any way. All I've done is install the driver, connect it up, then select it for MIDI input and output within Hautpwerk. Should I be reassigning the buttons within the device in some way or activating it in a particular mode before letting Hauptwerk do its stuff?

Andrew

mdyde

PostSun Aug 21, 2011 6:48 am

Hello Andrew,

First of all, please exit Hauptwerk and make sure that all of your MIDI interfaces are attached and powered up (if relevant). If you previously launched Hauptwerk with some USB/MIDI device detached then Hauptwerk would have warned you and asked you if you wanted to exit or re-default your MIDI settings for the devices that remained attached, which could have given the results you describe.

I've emailed you the most recent temporary development build, which includes the finalised Launchpad support since I can't remember off-hand which build you had previously. Please switch to using that for good measure.

I am wondering if I should carry out a total MIDI reset using the configuration wizard to clean out all the settings first, as you have previously advised in another post?

Yes - try using the 'General settings | General configuration wizard' and then the 'Organ settings | Organ configuration wizard' to reset all MIDI settings (globally and for the organ respectively) for good measure.

Also make sure that you have the MIDI ports that your MIDI hardware connects to/from ticked in the left-hand columns ('Console MIDI IN/OUT') on the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen (both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT screen tabs). Make sure that you have the Launchpad virtual ports ticked for both input and output but not the 'Automap' virtual ports (which Hauptwerk doesn't use).

Then please re-auto-detect things and let us know if that resolves it. If not, please send us a diagnostic file ('Help | Create a diagnostic file') so that we can check your settings.

Also, I have not done anything to reconfigure the Launchpad in any way. All I've done is install the driver, connect it up, then select it for MIDI input and output within Hautpwerk.

That's correct. Hauptwerk's Launchpad support is designed to work with the Launchpad in its factory-default state. You don't need to change any of its settings.
Best regards, Martin.

Andrew Grahame

PostTue Aug 23, 2011 4:52 am

Hello Martin,

Finally got to download the temporary build file today. Installed it tonight, followed all of the other instructions - and everything is now working OK. Just a brief test time available to me tonight at the end of two long and challenging days at work, but enough to ensure that the previous problems didn't return.

Many thanks,

Andrew

mdyde

PostTue Aug 23, 2011 5:30 am

Thanks, Andrew.

Glad it's working properly for you now.
Best regards, Martin.

Ted Williamson

PostThu Aug 25, 2011 11:34 am

Hi Martin,
This is just an update that I used the new build and programmed four Launchpads to go with my Paramount 332. All went well.

Thanks for all your help,
Ted Williamson

mdyde

PostThu Aug 25, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks, Ted.
Best regards, Martin.

MattOlieman

PostThu Sep 08, 2011 9:29 am

I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.. :?

I've got the latest build and am using it on a Win 7, 64 bit.

I reconfigured the HW midi as mentioned in this thread, am able to auto detect and use individual buttons, but am not getting the lights to work.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated :D

Andrew Grahame

PostThu Sep 08, 2011 1:11 pm

GO to the MIDI settings (General Settings/MIDI Ports) and select the Launchpad for MIDI OUT as well as MIDI IN. That lets the Launchpad receive a signal from Hauptwerk to set the colours.

Andrew

MattOlieman

PostThu Sep 08, 2011 2:01 pm

Thanks Andrew :) :) :) Works perfect now!!! Some days I can't see past my nose :oops:

CavalryJack

PostThu Sep 08, 2011 8:30 pm

Thankyou Martin for the rapid response engineering build to facilitate use of the Novation Launchpad. It is a brilliant work.

Installation and set-up went well until I discovered that pressing buttons on the launchpad played notes on my Swell division (set to midi channel 1 - to align with Allen midi assignment). I had observed that the launchpad also outputs on midi channel 1, but then discovered that by re-assigning the swell keyboard to midi channel 1 using HW4s auto-detect function that all was resolved and no further problems.
Understandably, I have had to repeat this routine for each sample set. I am not sure I understand why this has solved the conflict - perhaps someone else can provide further enlightenment.

I have noticed some variability in the intensity of the LEDs in my launchpad, so much so that in some instances I cannot distinguish between the yellow and amber selections when located adjacent to one another. Any shading of the buttons also affects differentiation. It's a shame that white and blue cannot be generated.

Setting up the Launchpad is a breeze with the facilities provided in this engineering revision of HW. Now looking at producing an optimum layout for each sample set, but realize that a second launchpad will be needed for some.

Thanks again Martin
John

Andrew Grahame

PostThu Sep 08, 2011 10:13 pm

This is the same issue which I identified in an earlier post on this thread. I have since figured out what the problem is.

Prior to installing the Launchpad I used two Korg NanoKey units to provide piston and function control. These, plus the keyboards, were all transmitting MIDI on Channel 1, but Hautpwerk recognised them all as separate MIDI inputs so there were no conflicts. After removing the Korgs and installing the Launchpad I encountered the problem of keys on one keyboard activating certain stops and functions. I followed all of Martin's suggestions, cleared and reset everything, and all was well. While this solved the problem it didn't actually identify the problem's source.

Later I had need to change some cabling and I disconnected the Launchpad for a while. I powered up the system without the Launchpad, then discovered that there were more random stops and functions happening as I played the keys. Then I realised what the problem might be. Auto-detect had initially assigned these functions to specific MIDI note-on events which were then transmitted by the Launchpad (and before it, the Korg NanoKeys). With removal of the device, the same note-on events appear to have automatically reattached themselves to the corresponding notes on another input device still connected - namely a keyboard. When re-running auto detect on that keyboard I was met with a dialog box identifying all of these existing assignments together with the option of keeping them and adding to them with the new assignment, or replacing them with the new assignment alone. Selecting the latter option cleared the unwanted events. However on reconnecting the Launchpad later it was necessary to reassign its buttons.

I am guessing that this relates back to the use of the same MIDI channel for different MIDI input devices. Remove a device, and the existing assignments end up being activated by one which remains. Reassigning that remaining device then becomes necessary, but if you make another hardware change the process will have to be repeated. Martin - perhaps you can further clarify this for us?

Andrew
PreviousNext

Return to Technical support