It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am

HW4 & Launchpad Button LEDs

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mdyde

Re: HW4 & Launchpad Button LEDs

PostMon Oct 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Hello Ed,

Whilst that might work to some extent, depending on the sample set, I definitely wouldn't recommend it since:

- I think that sooner or later you'd inevitably end with the states of the two systems becoming out of sync., since keeping them in sync. would be reliant on the user remembering to perform specific additional tasks according to what he/she was doing in Hauptwerk (e.g. resetting the external system at the same points at which Hauptwerk resets, which can happen under various circumstances).
- Using extra custom software between your MIDI hardware and Hauptwerk adds another layer of configuration complexity, makes starting up and shutting down fiddly, and is another layer of things to go wrong.

i.e. divisionals, generals on a particular manual

If you want 'stateful' generals, then I'd just recommend using Hauptwerk's master generals or stepper, rather than any non-stateful generals the sample set might include natively.

Hauptwerk's master scoped combinations aren't stateful (they affect the states of the draw-knobs/tabs directly, rather than temporarily overriding the user's registration) but if you think stateful divisionals are particularly important, you could potentially try asking the maker of the sample set in question whether they could be considered as an enhancement request for that sample set.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostMon Oct 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi Martin,

Think you know what I'm looking for: i.e. lighted pistons. As far as G/C, I have some pistons with dual (independent N/O contacts), so one set would cancel H/W and the other something else. Altho I wasn't exactly thinking in terms of an external, independent system, but rather something that could be done within Hauptwerk as a possible enhancement.

I have a small setup that is used for a configurable/programmable sequencer which could perform the desired function. Problem, could only handle 10 pistons and is impractically expensive.

The sample set we are using is the MDA Skinner. Pretty sure Brett has more important things to do aside from making an option of possible lighted pistons available for a limited user base, hence looking what else could be done.

And the real reason for the request is 2 of our organists are used to our former Rodgers having lighted pistons and keep reminding me of that. Hard to teach "new tricks". Then, too, several (future) sample sets we are interested in purchasing have the same situation with not possible lighted pistons or have I missed something?

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostTue Oct 11, 2011 8:02 am

Hello Ed,

As far as G/C, I have some pistons with dual (independent N/O contacts), so one set would cancel H/W and the other something else. Altho I wasn't exactly thinking in terms of an external, independent system, but rather something that could be done within Hauptwerk as a possible enhancement.

We definitely wouldn't want to implement anything within Hauptwerk that required or relied upon custom non-standard wiring of MIDI hardware. If we do implement functionality in Hauptwerk we want to try to make sure it's available and understandable equally to all Hauptwerk users, and works fully with standard MIDI hardware.

We can't change in Hauptwerk the way that sample sets' divisional pistons worked, since that functionality is 'wired' virtually into a sample set and there is no way that's reliable in general that we can 'unwire' that virtual wiring in order to change it.

However, if there's a genuine desire amongst users for lighted divisional pistons for all sample sets then we could perhaps consider adding some kind of option or options for the master scoped pistons to light up, perhaps in mutually-exclusive groups according to their prefix letters (A1, ..., A10, etc.) or globally. Of course the risk there is that it might create some confusion since their scopes are entirely user-defined, and not necessarily grouped into non-overlapping subsets (e.g. divisions) by prefix letter.

We'll discuss that here to see if that's something that we think would be desirable for the longer term.

Is that (an option for master scoped pistons to light up within mutually-exclusive groups by letter prefix) something that other people think would be beneficial?

The sample set we are using is the MDA Skinner. Pretty sure Brett has more important things to do aside from making an option of possible lighted pistons available for a limited user base, hence looking what else could be done.

Adding new functionality to Hauptwerk itself (and subsequently documenting, maintaining and supporting it) takes work too, but we'll certainly discuss and consider it.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostTue Oct 11, 2011 8:14 am

Hello Gerald,

can the DIM of the LED be turned off for other colors beside the default?

thanks for your response. I was hoping it could be an "option" to have or not to have them "DImmed".

Can I ask why you think that would be beneficial?

So that the difference in brightness is easier to see? If so, sticking to using only the following colours should give the maximum visible difference in brightness (as discussed earlier in this thread), since they correspond to the primary colours of the LEDs in the Launchpad buttons: red, green, amber.

We're a bit reluctant to add too many colour/state options, since we think it risks making the screen more awkward to use. Also by avoiding the dimmed LED states you would lose the ability to see the functional groupings of the buttons when their associated stops/pistons weren't on.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostTue Oct 11, 2011 8:59 am

Certainly admire your approach to problem solving and fully agree, Martin. Hopefully others would find lighting the "other" pistons as a useful addition esp since the use of LaunchPad has become quite popular.

Looking forward, positively, I have already installed lighted pistons in our console waiting for the "signal" from Hauptwerk.

BTW, there is a major church in a nearby town that has a large, recently installed, 4M pipe organ, custom built in the Czech Republic that does have lighted pistons and couplers. You may know of it - First Congregational Church in Beloit, WI as it also has H/W augmentation.

Rgds,
Ed

g cluff

PostTue Oct 11, 2011 10:45 am

[Can I ask why you think that would be beneficial?

I will be using overlays so having them turned off would be better. It is nice to have them dimmed for other reasons already stated if you are using the panels "as is"
I havn't tried it yet, but was thinking they could be treated like "traditional" lighted drawknobs, stop tabs, etc. I guess one could program the LED as described in their programming reference
GERALD CLUFF
FOREST GROVE, OR

engrssc

PostTue Oct 11, 2011 10:53 am

We are not using a LaunchPad for our church organ, rather the console has real pistons. I know others are using LaunchPads in various ways and if used in place of pistons, it's handy to know which are the currently active one(s) by their being lit or not.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostTue Oct 11, 2011 11:03 am

[Can I ask why you think that would be beneficial?

I will be using overlays so having them turned off would be better. It is nice to have them dimmed for other reasons already stated if you are using the panels "as is"
I havn't tried it yet, but was thinking they could be treated like "traditional" lighted drawknobs, stop tabs, etc

Thanks, Gerald.

Why would having them showing dimmed (rather than fully off) be disadvantageous, even if you're using overlays? Because the difference in brightness would be more visible if they turned off fully?

I guess one could program the LED as described in their programming reference.

It isn't possible within Hauptwerk v4 to programme the sequences of MIDI bytes manually, so no - that wouldn't be possible, I'm afraid.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostTue Oct 11, 2011 11:26 am

G3 wrote:Regarding labeling what are your thoughts? Ideas?

I used a Dymo Labelmaker with clear labels with black letters. It's OK, but far from polished, I can tell you that.

Not directly related to the current flow of this topic, but more regarding labeling of L/P buttons. I thought I had posted this idea here somewhere, but couldn't find it readily. I may have posted it on another forum.

The idea being, you can get labels that can attach (stick on) to the L/P buttons from http://www.onlinelabels.com/Products/OL28CJ.htm These can be printed with an inkjet printer. They also have labels that you can use with a laser printer. Clear, matte finish, size 1.00 X 0.75 inches. And yes, the buttons on the L/P are 0.75 X 0.75 inches. No big deal to trim the above to size. They stick well, but can easily be removed and changed as the L/P specification changes. You can buy a Krylon product called Preserve It to spray on and keep the label designation from rubbing off. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Krylon+Preserve+It&_sacat=See-All-Categories Being clear, these labels don't block the LED from showing thru.

When you buy one or more sheets (of blank labels), Online permits you access (for a limited amount of time) to a design program that you can use to (design and) align the label text, etc. They will also send a limited amount of product as samples so you don't need to purchase a large qty of sheets. (There are many individual labels on a given sheet) I printed the label text on ordinary sheet of paper and held it up to the blank sheet of labels to check alignment before actually finally printing them. Works real slick and they look great.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonar11

PostTue Oct 11, 2011 5:14 pm

I don't own a launchpad (yet?), but I'm curious... any chance that I could configure one to use 2 different colors: white + red, and then dimmed versions of both? The idea would be to simulate the colors used on many digital organs nowadays (red for reed, white for everything else).

(Apologies if this has already been answered; I did skim 5 pages worth of this thread but didn't see anything on this)

engrssc

PostTue Oct 11, 2011 7:06 pm

The answer is yes. See Martin's pictures here http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8410&start=30#p62970 Altho he is using more colours in his pictures of his L/P, the idea is the same.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostTue Oct 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Rec'd an inquiry as to how the above mentioned label looks. While I don't have a picture of a LaunchPad label, here is one of a draw knob using the same type label, except it is round.

Rgds,
Ed

wurlitzer28

PostSun Dec 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Just purchased a Launch pad as my 1928 Wurlitzer console does not have enough stop tabs to control all the tabs available in the Paramount 310 nor the Barton 3-7.

I am amazed and greatly appreciative that Hauptwerk supports this 3rd party device but I have a couple of questions.

The Auto Learn feature (fantastic) does successfully learn the switch functions but I only have version 4.0.0 and I am not getting any illumination of the buttons even though MIDI output is selected to mirror the inputs.

Has the special build been made available as of this date?

While I am a month or so from purchasing the Advanced version of Hauptwerk, will the free version function with Launch pad.

Again, thanks for including this option.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Dec 19, 2011 12:24 am

Hello,

The Auto Learn feature (fantastic) does successfully learn the switch functions but I only have version 4.0.0 and I am not getting any illumination of the buttons even though MIDI output is selected to mirror the inputs.

Has the special build been made available as of this date?

Full support for the Launchpad is forthcoming for Hauptwerk 4.0.1. We do have a beta version of this available for licensed users upon request, we would ask that if you are interested in using the temporary beta prior to the official release of 4.0.1 that you purchase a license first, then contact us privately to request it. If it isn't currently possible for you to purchase a license you can wait and it will be included with the Free Edition natively with the release of Hauptwerk 4.0.1.

Note that Hauptwerk is currently on sale through the end of this year, so if you are considering purchasing a license you can save a bit by purchasing before the end of the year during our sale.

Thank you and I hope that helps.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

wurlitzer28

PostMon Dec 19, 2011 8:26 am

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I will be purchasing the Advanced version in the very near future.
PreviousNext

Return to Technical support