It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:26 am

Krzeszow demo

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

CWEB

Krzeszow demo

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 am

I have been having a go with the Krzeszow demo and I'm seriously thinking of buying the full set. But I have a small problem. The pedal Octavbass 8' has far too much reverb when played staccato - it seems only to be giving a legato release. All other stops are fine.

Can someone reassure me that this is not the case with the full set? As this would be a deal breaker. Is this perhaps a flaw in the demo set or has something gone wrong with my download?

Many thanks

mdyde

Re: Krzeszow demo

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 am

CWEB wrote:Is this perhaps a flaw in the demo set or has something gone wrong with my download?

I don't have experience with the sample set myself, but a sample set wouldn't install at all if there was a problem downloading it, so the issue you mention can't be due to that.

The only thing I could suggest would be to check that you haven't accidentally disabled multiple releases for that particular rank on Hauptwerk's 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio/memory options/routing' screen.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

CWEB

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 7:27 am

mdyde wrote:
CWEB wrote:Is this perhaps a flaw in the demo set or has something gone wrong with my download?

I don't have experience with the sample set myself, but a sample set wouldn't install at all if there was a problem downloading it, so the issue you mention can't be due to that.

The only thing I could suggest would be to check that you haven't accidentally disabled multiple releases for that particular rank on Hauptwerk's 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio/memory options/routing' screen.

I did check that, will double check later if no other light can be shed...

mnailor

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 1:16 pm

I have the full surround version plus the update. The reverb tails on the Pedal Octavbass 8 are noticeably different for long and short notes.

Daniel Dries

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 3:45 am

The Krzeszow demo only gives you the slightest hint of the brilliance of this set. It is absolutely superb! I’ve had it for a couple of years, and I still use it almost every day.

In my humble opinion, Krzeszow and Armley Schulze cover everything worth covering.

adri

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 1:25 pm

I have a full set but cannot currently check on the Octav behavior.

As an organ it is extremely enjoyable set with a great plenum. I do not use the transposer so I don't load the additional stops for the pedal.

Highly recommended set.

josq

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Highly recommended indeed. If the complicated console layout and meantone voicing are no obstacles to you, then you'll be rewarded with many gorgeous sounds.

I do not detect any problem with the Octave 8'. On your set up, is the problem limited to specific notes, or the entire rank?

chr.schmitz

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 3:32 pm

A free extension with simpler layouts and additional normal couplers can be downloaded here:

http://hauptwerk-organ.com/krzeszow/

Chris

mnailor

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 4:05 pm

Chr.Schmitz' extension is really useful with this organ since it doesn't have a simple jamb.

CWEB

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

josq wrote:Highly recommended indeed. If the complicated console layout and meantone voicing are no obstacles to you, then you'll be rewarded with many gorgeous sounds.

I do not detect any problem with the Octave 8'. On your set up, is the problem limited to specific notes, or the entire rank?

The entire rank. It just sounds to me as though the releases aren't right, or it's the rear part of a surround set or something. I tried some trio sonatas and on this stop the pedal line was a bit unintelligible, whereas the same thing on any other principal is much clearer. I can't entirely rule out that the real organ is like that but it does feel like that ringing effect heard in sample sets without multiple releases. Anyway, since nobody else is reporting any problem I shall probably just go ahead and put it on the Christmas list.

Thanks for the help everyone.

josq

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 6:32 pm

The Octavbass is markedly different from the other principals. It seems to have a bit more of the fundamental, and quite some chiff is present. But fortunately, I cannot detect anything unnatural in that.

adri

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 2:49 am

I I ws now able to check, and to me the placement of the Octavbas 8' in the organ itself has imho a lot to do with how it sounds and where the original acoustical effect manifests itself. When I listen e.g. to the Octav 4' of the pedal, it sounds way more direct. That's probably because those pipe could be part of the facade itself? Not sure. One thing I do know for sure is that the pedal pipe placement in this organ is not ideal and that some stops sound from further way than others.

Not sure this answers your quest, but I don't find anything really unnatural in my full version; and then again, the organ is what it is.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments