It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:49 pm

A new mystery organ to guess

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

murph

Re: A new mystery organ to guess

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 4:06 pm

Flentrop, perhaps? (Sounds quite like them).
The Noorderkerk in Zwolle?
(Although, it sounds as if this organ has a great cornet and a cornet separee on the brustwerk.)

Hoofdwerk

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 4:45 pm

I suppose that by "this organ" you must mean the Noordenkerk organ? You have heard this entire mystery organ now and there is only the tierce rank of the sesquialtera ... But keep looking!

There is a clue in the sound of Carson's piece, but it is not that the organ has a short octave. What could it be?

Erik

petervdzwaag

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Hmm, I've listened very carefully and read the all the remarks. My initial guess would be Doetinchem (NL), Flentrop (1952). This organ will be restored soon, so there is a possibly reason to record it.

A few remarks though. This organ has only a Principal 16' in the pedal, so it would be a strange principal indeed. On the other hand I hear a Nasard 2 2/3, a Regal (4'?), a flue 1' and a pedal flute 2'. I guess the plenum registration for the Scheidemann Praeambulum includes the Sesquialtera.

Oh, and of course, the Doetinchem organ is very nice looking :)

untersatz32

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 7:29 pm

Hmmm, not easy:

based on the heard before, my guess would be the

Flentrop Organ at Harvard University Busch Hall.

(First, I thought of AA-Kerk- Groningen, but there is a Cornet in it).

Greetings

Thomas (from CH)

Hoofdwerk

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Some very fine reasoning there, since other organs have been sampled just prior to restoration. But that is not the mystery organ.

You are correct on the 1' stop (the reason for my remark above to compare the Pachelbel "Vom Himmel" with the 2nd part of the Scheidemann "Ballett in F", which uses the 1-1/3' rather than the 1').

You are also correct on the pedal flute 2 for "An Wasserflussen". And third, that I included the sesquialtera in the plenum for the Scheidemann, so Adri could possibly correct one of the errors in his proposed specification above. :wink:

So, like Adri you have shown a very fine ear. :)

I would suggest that everyone listen to Carson Cooman's piece for this organ, and see what it tells you. Why did he write such a piece for an organ like this? There are two things you might still draw from his music.

If we are stuck still tomorrow, I will probably drop a hint to help you a bit.

Erik

Hoofdwerk

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 7:51 pm

And Thomas, that is an excellent guess, especially after Carson Cooman has written a piece for this mystery organ while he is teaching at Harvard.

But that is not it.

adri

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 7:56 pm

for some crazy reason my posts don't posts (2nd time this happened!)

So let's try again,.

I believe the very interestinng Cooman piece is about divided manual stops, The trumpet is probably divided. The 2nd manual has a 1' flute. The Sesquialtera (may be also divided) is on the main manual.

So perhaps this organ has a Hauptwerk and Brustwerk and a decent pedal stop list, which includes a 2' flute.

untersatz32

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Hmmmm,

I hear a 16' Open in the manual. May also be a 8 Played octave lower, but in the other Recordings it seems to me, though, the organ has a Prestant 16 in the manual.

Then, one note seems to be "detuned" - suggesting, this is not a mistuned pipe, the organ may have a slight, slight unequal temperament...

Greetings

Thomas

murph

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Mmmm,
I think the Cooman piece is trumpet+ sesquialter for the melody, with a regal for the "drones", to use a bagpipe term.
Either there are 3 manuals, or as Adri suggests, it's about divided manual stops, with the prestant on its own in the bass.
I had thought it was about a divided sesquialtera, but the melody repeats one of the "drone" notes held down in the intro.
The pedal can't be doing this, as it has a 16' on.

Hoofdwerk

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Ah, yes! NOW we are getting somewhere. :) "The game's afoot."

A few good questions remain. Is that an open 16, or something played low on a divided keyboard? Adri has written Quintedena 16. Or is it Prestant 16. or even Bourdon 16? Perhaps I can do a demo to help you there.

Seems like your specification is getting clearer. But still questions remain... two manuals, or three? Is there anything that demands three manuals in what I have posted, if such a divided stop exists? If Adri is right that the organ has about 25 stops, where does all this leave you? Besides confused. :?

But there is another hint in the piece by Carson Cooman. Step back....listen. The notes Adri remarks are "missing"...not missing on the keyboards - there is no short octave. That melody, and those harmonies... Never mind the stops for a moment, and listen to the music. What does it say?

Where on earth is this organ, and who built it?

You are on the trail - go find the answer.

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Mar 05, 2012 1:10 am

Is it the Brombaugh organ of 1997 in the Duke University Chapel?

Andrew

untersatz32

PostMon Mar 05, 2012 6:50 am

The Cooman sounds are a bit mozzarabic- andalusian.... Is it a modern organ with spanish background? The reeds do not seem so.... :-)
:lol:

polikimre

PostMon Mar 05, 2012 9:23 am

Could it be that this organ has enharmonic keys?

adrianw

PostMon Mar 05, 2012 10:54 am

Yes, I for one am really confused now.

The Cooman certainly sounds Moorish and has echoes of the Mosque, which strongly suggests Southern Spanish and mixed cultures, like the Mosque/Cathedral of Cordoba (La Mezquita) or even Mallorca. Trouble is, this organ really doesn't sound Spanish at all, although the divided manual also suggests Spain...

I can't hear anything that demands 3 manuals, so maybe it is 2 with perhaps more division than we've so-far identified.

- Adrian.

Montre64

PostMon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 am

I thought that it can be another organs from Poland (like Krzeszow), but You said that "there is no short octave" - I've lost track :oops:
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments