It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 am

Hereford 67XL

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

David Butcher

Hereford 67XL

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 7:52 am

Hello all ...

I'm pleased to announce the completion of the Hereford 67 stop XL set. Full details of the additions may be found here.

This add-on is available as a free download from the support page of the Lavender Audio website and is only applicable to those who have purchased all three volumes of the Hereford Cathedral sample set. As the installation files are several hundred MB in size, I appreciate that download may not be an option for everyone. Therefore, a DVD is available for 10 GBP / 12 Euro to cover the cost of media and delivery.

Also, given the weakness of the UK currency at the moment, you'll find that most Euro prices have been reduced in the Euro Order page.

ajt

Re: Hereford 67XL

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Looks exciting! I shall try it out in the morning...
Adrian

kwbmusic

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks David, now downloaded and working.
However I have a problem with the operation of swell pedals. In my case I have no pedals available and so use sliders on one of my keyboards, the Edirol PCR800. Works perfectly for the swell pedals shown on the Main Console, with their position responding on the RH Jamb view.
I do not understand how to get the Choir Swell Pedal to work. I have all the floating Sw. Ped to Solo, Choir and Swell responding to a stop. However I don't really understand what they are doing, & particularly how do I get the Choir Swell to respond to some control on my setup?
What I wish to do is right click something so as to get control through a slider.
Keith

rogbi200

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Excellent David, have just downloaded this and look forward to exploring...

The Stops & Piston screen shows the new stops, as does LH Jamb and RH Jamb, but the Console view doesn't- however it does remove the 16' solo mini-pistons but still has the former layout. Intentional or a Bug?

David

David Butcher

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Hello Keith,

I do not understand how to get the Choir Swell Pedal to work ...

The floating Swell pedal idea takes the Hauptwerk floating divisions concept and applies it to expression pedals. To be able to fully control the Hereford 67XL, you would need 3 expression pedals (not to mention another pedal to control the Crescendo facility). I suspect that many people (like me !) don't have that luxury, so this allows the three enclosed divisions to be controlled by a single physical swell pedal. The tab stops that route the floating pedal to the virtual enclosires allow any combination of Swell, Choir and Solo boxes to be adjusted.

However, I can see that if you are using individual sliders to control the enclosures separately, then the floating pedal is not required. As you've found, you can right click on both the Swell and Solo pedals to auto-detect settings. Although the Choir pedal is not displayed, you can still use the auto-detect facility by choosing "Organ settings | Organ expression/Crescendo Pedals and Sliders/Knobs" and then clicking on the CHOIR entry. You can then click on the auto-detect button and move the slider you wish to assign to this function.

Hello David,

The Stops & Piston screen shows the new stops, as does LH Jamb and RH Jamb, but the Console view doesn't- however it does remove the 16' solo mini-pistons but still has the former layout. Intentional or a Bug?

Intentional I'm afraid - the perils of deciding to come up with an extended version after the graphics had been finalised. I did consider doing away with the Console page altogether, but felt that it was still of some use to have displayed keyboards and expression pedals (eg for auto-detect and testing). Redesigning that page would have taken a major effort which was difficult to justify. The Stops+Pistons screen is intended to be the controlling screen for those with just a single monitor. The 16' Solo mini controls have gone as a result of the 16'/8' combined stops being separated - only the 8' versions are accessible on the Console page.

Hope that all helps ...

kwbmusic

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 9:26 pm

Brilliant, thank you David. Works like a charm!
I have never navigated to that menu before so you have opened my eyes.
Keith

T.C.Lake

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 10:31 am

Hello David

Thank you for the Hereford extentions - the floating swell pedal facility
has solved a problem for me - could you say wether this has to be written in
when programming or is there a facility within Hauptwerk to apply it to other programmes

Best Regards

Terry Lake (UK)

David Butcher

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Hello Terry,

Hauptwerk does have a facility where a single pedal can be used to control different enclosures, although it does work rather differently. To access this, you have to use the Hauptwerk floating divisions feature - this is where a single physical keyboard can be switched to control two or more different virtual manuals (very useful if you don't have enough manuals on your MIDI console). Having defined your floating division, you can also define a floating expression pedal and get this to move at the same time as you switch the floating division between the different virtual organ manuals (eg Swell, Choir and Solo). This is all detailed on pages 107 - 114 of the user guide and it's worth experimenting with.

The functionality I built into Hereford means that a floating swell pedal can be routed independently of any floating division - indeed, floating divisions aren't required here. It can also be used to control two or more enclosures simultaneously.

Hope that helps !

T.C.Lake

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 10:45 am

Hello David,

Thank you for your detailed reply I have 4 manuals and 2 "Arndt" swell pedals to link up
and will put the information to good use In due course.

Best Regards.

Terry Lake (uk)

sokrat

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 3:01 am

Dear David,
best thanks for the great support of Hereford sample set. The download and the installation worked perfectly.
For the tunning (Pipe and Rank Voicing) the Registers "Bombard 32" and "Double Bass open 32" a problem occurred. These Registers I can only configure the Octave 1.

Best Regards
Sokraton

ajt

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Both of those ranks are, I believe, combined ranks with the Ophicleide and Open Wood respectively. You would need to go into the voicing/tuning for those ranks to adjust the upper notes.
Adrian

sokrat

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 3:05 am

Hello Adrian,
best thanks for your information. The problem I could not solve. Maybe the problem is fixed in the next update.

Best regards
Hans Stieger/sokraton

ajt

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 4:46 pm

I think you misunderstood me - there is no problem to solve and no fix required, this is how it is supposed to work. It's how it works in real life.

You can only adjust Octave 1 of those two 32' ranks because they are extensions of the equivalent 16' rank.

So, the 16' Ophicleide is what you're actually playing when you draw the 32' reed, but an octave lower (so it has the extra pipes to give the bottom octave, which is what you can adjust in the voicing screen for the 32').

Same with the 32' Double Open Wood - you're actually playing the 16' Open Wood, but again it has the extra pipes for the bottom 32' octave.

From the Lavender Audio description of the Pedal division:

"The 32'/16' Open Wood and 32'/16' Bombarde/Ophicleide unit are the only unified ranks on the pedal. All other ranks are completely independent, with the exception of the Open Diapason which borrows its bottom octave from the Great Double Open."
Adrian

sokrat

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 3:50 am

Thank you for the information. It's all clear now.

Best Regards
Hans Stieger

ajt

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 4:54 pm

I finally got around to installing the XL at church on Friday night.

I was rather surprised by the size of the increase in RAM usage - I've had to drop quite a few "extra" stops to gain the extra manual compass, but it makes a lot of sense to use the XL as the default on my particular setup.

The reasons being:
1) correct compass for the console
2) I only have 3 manuals, the Choir manual being an amalgamation of Solo and Choir stops; having them all enclosed bar the Tuba make sense.
3) I can always switch back to the 67 if I want the extra stops (big pedal reeds, Glock, Tromba, great 16/4 reeds)

I didn't expect to ever use the Great Sub-Octave coupler, but I did (for some Lemmens) this morning and was pleasantly surprised.

Being able to use the Orchestral Oboe as a 16 & 8 chorus reed (small trumpet) is quite useful too. Especially now that it doesn't make the Solo Flutes drop an octave too - David, is that a bug with the 67-stop? I don't think the Solo strings and Flutes should drop an octave when the LP16 toggle is engaged; I thought on the real instrument it was just the LP reeds that were on that slider/chest?
Adrian

Return to Hauptwerk instruments