It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 am

1832 Van Dam organ of Tholen now available!

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

adri

Tholen Postscript impression

PostFri May 17, 2013 5:46 pm

At first, with the Tholen set, I didn't like the rather low mixture, but then discovered (without adding the 1' and/or Carillon) especially with 19th century music how wonderful this actually works.

I feel that I have extra octaves to work with: we can go from the low bass and baritone regions with a majestically somber and impressive low pitched thick sound and then move to the tenor and alto ranges for a more normal romantic sound, and then move to the soprano and eventually the mezzo-soprano regions for that sudden outburst of energy and brilliance and thus, goose-bump inducing excitement.

This kind of power and dimension is very different than in a baroque organ and has its own place in the history of music and works wonders for esp. 19th century organ Sonatas from the Mendelssohn type tradition, but also before that time in the works of e.g. Rinck and his contemporaries.

I find myself improvising on this organ a lot. I forced myself to improvise a short piece in 19th century Sonata style to demonstrate this low to high approach (please don;'t judge it too much on its musical qualities)

Thus, I am beginning to like this organ more and more; it has grown on me favorably and considerably.

I'll add the link as soon as it shows up in contrebombarde (waited 5 min.already but nothing so far)

josq

Re: 1832 Van Dam organ of Tholen now available!

PostSat May 18, 2013 10:31 am

Yes, this organ needs some time to grow on you, but it is very unique and interesting.

If you look at the disposition you would almost say: this does not make sense. But when trying and playing there is so much to discover. For example, which other organ gives the possibility to couple 2 fast and 1 slow tremulant? But very nice results can be obtained, particularly using the flutes.

Voxus Organs

Re: 1832 Van Dam organ of Tholen now available!

PostSat May 25, 2013 3:18 am

Dear all,

We decided to maintain the discount price.
We have also updated the website for orders outside the european union.

http://www.voxusorgans.com/en/webshop/tholen

Sincerely,
Voxus Virtual Organs
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments