It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:40 am

New Features for Caen Sampleset

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

seh52

Re: New Features for Caen Sampleset

PostMon Sep 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Getting excited for this extension!
What minimum RAM is needed for loading in 16 bit?

ludu

PostMon Sep 07, 2015 4:32 pm

In 16 bits, it needs a RAM of ± 14.5 GB for the full version.
Luc

Martijn70

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 12:07 pm

That's front only. Loading surround will fit in 32GB when loading all flues in 16bit and all reeds in 20 bit resolution.

Antoni Scott

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 1:40 pm

I have never heard, in real life, a 10-2/3 that has benefited the pedal, although I agree it is part of the 32' Harmonic series. A Mixture on the pedal (such as the Zwolle) adds clarity to the pedal passages. A Clarion Doublette 2' (such as on the St. Sulpice Cavaille-Coll) may add some brilliance but I don't know if that could also be achieved with Mixture stops.

One of the Forum members posted a link to the St. Sulpice specification, which showed which stops were incorporated from previous builds and which one's were installed by Cavaille-Coll. I was shocked to see how much of the previous organ(s) were included. I had no idea !!!!! Every day you learn something new.

Antoni

David

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 1:57 am

Thank you for this extension that looks really impressive ! While waiting for the release, is it possible to know how it will sound like : more like St Sulpice, or St Ouen ?

David

ludu

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 8:34 am

Hello All,
You will find on Contrebombarde the first little excerpts recorded with this organ.
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/user/1676/uploads
Cordially.
Luc

RichardW

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 12:16 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have the Caen set. It was too big for my PC at the time if I used the full surround samples so I was happy to stick with the Metz. Now I have upgraded to 32GB it looks as if it is still too small for a full 24 bit surround implementation if you include this extension.

However, I just want to say thanks to Luc for the demos. They certainly demonstrate what a nice sound this sample set has. The only one I did not like was the Tutti. I would have been content with GO + GC + Chamades.

The Mutations demo was fascinating.

Thanks again.
Richard

seh52

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 12:29 pm

I've just been playing around with a Caen Surround 3-manual extension that I think came from Al Morse, but I can't find it online any more. It includes 2 swell enclosures, and about a half dozen more stops.

What became of this Caen extension? How does it compare to the one that Jake is about to release?

ludu

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 12:53 pm

RichardW wrote:The only one I did not like was the Tutti.

Thanks Richard for your comments. About the tutti, I must admit that the last chords are too heavy. Perhaps, they are played too much in the low part of the keyboard. Actually, I only have one single keyboard without pedalboard and I couldn't apportion correctly the notes in the whole compass. Sorry.
Last edited by ludu on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luc

evertjan

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 2:13 pm

seh52 wrote:I've just been playing around with a Caen Surround 3-manual extension that I think came from Al Morse, but I can't find it online any more.

Al has a new site: http://almorse.net/

untersatz32

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 4:13 pm

A very good - verryyy ! - voiced Quinte 10 2/3' creates a proper 32' effect. Sometimes better than a bad Untersatz 32'. The 6 2/5' Tierce and 4 4/7' Septime add further stringy precision and clarity and promptness.

At my organ, we have a big acoustic Principal 32', created from the 16' with a Quint from itself, and a further added Bourdon 16' with Quint. It works as effective as a real Open 32'. Many Concert Organists did search for the 10 Meter pipes.

Besides that there is an Untersatz 32' with a wide stopped independend Quint 10 2/3 and Subbas 16. IT works fantastic too from piano to mf.

Greetings Thomas

subbas32

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Hello,

You can find a draft of the user manual describing the features of the 4-manual Caen extension here (~10 MB):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w3g1kprev1ztiu/4ManualCaenExtension_UserGuide.pdf

In particular, you can find up-to-date screenshots on pages 14-20. Let me know if anything important is missing.

Assuming things go smoothly, the tentative release date is Monday, September 14, 2015.

There have been multiple requests for sound demonstrations. Luc (ludu) has already posted a few on Contrebombarde:
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concertha ... 76/uploads

Additional recordings are in progress and will follow.

Best regards,

Jake

seh52

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi Jake,
If I install this extension, will it affect my existing Caen v.2 original installation, my Al Morse Caen extension, their registrations and/or voicing settings?
Or will it install as a separate organ with its own settings?
Thanks,
Stan

subbas32

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 4:22 pm

Hello Stan,

If I install this extension, will it affect my existing Caen v.2 original installation, my Al Morse Caen extension, their registrations and/or voicing settings?

No, the 4-manual extension should not impact any other Hauptwerk installation. It has a unique OrganID (001941) and so it's settings are independent from both the original Caen (OrganID: 001318) and Al Morse's Caen extension (OrganID: 001252).

Or will it install as a separate organ with its own settings?

Yes, exactly. This also implies that voicing or presets you have for the original organ will not be applied to the 4-manual extension.

Best regards,

Jake

subbas32

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Hello,

I'm pleased to announce that the 4-manual extension for the Caen sample-set is ready to be released!

Details
The organ is encrypted and so can only be used with the Advanced or Basic version of Hauptwerk (version 4.2 or higher). Given the size of the extension, the Advanced version is recommended.

Note that you must own the original Caen sample-set (version 2.5) from Sonus Paradisi before you can use this extension.

A user manual with a stoplist and an overview of all the features of the organ can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w3g1kprev1ztiu/4ManualCaenExtension_UserGuide.pdf

Ordering
The extension can be purchased for US $60 which includes the fee for the dongle update. PayPal is the preferred method of payment.

To order, please send US $60 to customhworgans AT gmail DOT com. Alternatively, you can also send an email to customhworgans AT gmail DOT com and I can prepare an invoice using PayPal.

I'm currently in Central European Summer Time Zone and will initiate the dongle updates with MDA in the morning.

Thanks
This project relies heavily on the work done by Sonus Paradisi who recorded the original Caen sample-set. All the samples in the extension were derived from samples recorded by Sonus Paradisi. Also thanks to forum users Martijn70, ludu, and Frans for the extensive help with the development, voicing, and testing of this extension. Last but not least, thanks for the ideas shared by many on this forum topic.

Thanks, and best regards,

Jake
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments