It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm

New Features for Caen Sampleset

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Cavaillé-Cool

Re: New Features for Caen Sampleset

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 1:21 am

Hello Jake,

I do not think there is one Cavaillé-Coll with reeds mixtures. Reeds mixtures make sense on a very large instrument. We can take for granted that Aristide Cavaillé-Coll had done preliminary tests with this type of stops before writing his St. Peter's project and that he saw the interest.

I know of at least two organ with reeds mixtures.
. There is a Trumpet 5 1/3 ' in the stoplist of the Dudelange organ (Bombardwerk division) :
http://www.orgue - dudelange.lu/Pages/MainFrame.htm
Bombarde en chamade 16’
Trompette en chamade 8’
Tromp. en chamade 5 1/3’
Clairon en chamade 4’
. There is a trompette 5 1/3 ' (Swell division) in the stoplist of the Salt Lake Tabernacle organ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_ ... t_of_stops

A Quinte trumpet 5 1/3 ' gives a brighter, clear and incisive sound to reeds battery. To my ears, this is a definite plus, very easy to include in a sampleset .
The extended Gravissimo version of PAB has many reeds mixtures.

For my part, I am willing to share the cost of a dry release, even with a small number of people.

Same for creating a virtual St. Peter's Basilica organ based on Cavaillé-Coll's plans. Thanks to Seh52 for liking the idea . For me, it 's as if the St. Peter's CC had been and then has burned . HW is the only chance to recover the acoustics of this organ, in pretty much the same way as the destroyed temples of antiquity are reconstructed virtually in 3D.

Best regards.
Paul

rhedgebeth

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 8:57 am

There is also a Quint Trompette 5 1/3 in the Aeolian-Skinner organ in the Christian Science Mother Church, Boston.

The knob can be seen in this view of the left stop jamb: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tmcclerks/13876800315/in/set-72157643584016283/

Specification of the organ can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pTFxkpyJGrzdXLr2gy_gJZu0B3s3YvjA6N_9l71pf_o/edit#gid=1744860774

The church website fails to acknowledge the exceptionally fine restoration of the organ by Foley-Baker, Inc.
Richard S Hedgebeth
Westminster Organ Works
Authorized Hauptwerk reseller
http://Westminsterorganworks.com

ludu

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 4:51 pm

subbas32 wrote:Quick question, besides Cavaille-Coll's proposal to include the Quinte Trompette 5 1/3' on the stoplist for St. Peter's in Rome, are there any Cavaille-Coll's that have this stop? I'm also curious as to how this stop is used in practice.

There is no existing Cavaillé-Coll built with a Quinte Trompette 5 1/3'. But in Orléans, he installed a Contrebombarde acoustique 32' (a quint 10 2/3') at the pedal. The same remark about the Tuba Mirabilis: in project (Vatican) but never built. In contrast, we find chamades in Saint-Ouen (Rouen) and Saint-Sernin (Toulouse), and also a Clairon-doublette 2' in Saint-Sulpice.
Luc

Gerryo

PostFri Nov 28, 2014 6:15 pm

Did anything more ever come of this? If there was an announcement regarding the release of this project, I missed it.

subbas32

PostFri Nov 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Hello Gerryo,

Thanks for your inquiry, and I apologize for this thread being quiet for so long! The last few months have been unexpectedly busy for me with my school-work, and so progress on this project has been rather slow. However, my semester is almost over, and then I'll again be able to devote time to coding Hauptwerk ODFs. My apologies to all for this delay!

Best regards,

Jake

subbas32

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 6:03 am

Hello,

In response to a few inquires into the status of the 4-manual Caen extension, here is a quick update. The bulk of the ODF coding is complete. At this point, the outstanding items are the voicing of the new ranks as well as finishing the graphics.

I've asked this in the past, but just wanted to double check. Are there people who are interested in the having left and right vertical stop jambs? If so, let me know and I will include them. Otherwise, I'll leave them out.

Here are a few screen shots of the new stop jambs. In the screen shots, all stops that are illuminated are original, while all stops that are not illuminated are part of the extension. The "Left Jamb", "Right Jamb", and "Simple Jamb" are still in progress.

Wide Stops View:
https://db.tt/pDOsen9u

Stops View:
https://db.tt/qEj6atWs

Console View:
https://db.tt/mMyYpS6d

Thanks, and best regards,

Jake

dalest

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 6:12 am

dear jake, wow
thank you : very good job !!!
yes i 'm interresting having left and right vertical stop jambs

bye bye

StephenGlover

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 7:47 am

Yes please, you can't have too many instruments with vertical (portrait) stop jambs.

Regards

Stephen
Stephen Glover

clement703

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 9:51 am

yes I 'm interested having left and right vertical stop jambs

b_physics_guy

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 1:58 pm

One thing that I can't do on the Caen is a smooth crescendo with a roller pedal. I realize that it wasn't designed for this, but maybe with the additional stops it would be possible (or maybe the anches will always overpower the fonds).

If you think this would work, would it be possible to add more slots to the crescendo program to accommodate it?

subbas32

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks all for your feedback, I'm adding the vertical stop jambs to my to-do list!

b_physics_guy, how many crescendo stages would you like to have? The one built into Hauptwerk has 31 stages. Since Cavaillé-Coll didn't incorporate crescendo pedals in his organs, I would propose to add this as an extra feature on a separate page.

Best regards,

Jake

untersatz32

PostMon Jan 19, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi Subbass32!

Great Job!!!

Which sets does one need, to play the extended version?
Caen alone or additional sets (Chamade etc)

Thanks again for your work!

Greetings Thomas

subbas32

PostMon Jan 19, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi Thomas,

Thanks!

The only required set is Caen. All new stops are either derived from existing stops, or will be included in the installation package.

Best regards,

Jake

petervdzwaag

PostMon Jan 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi Jake,

Great work! I'm very anxious about how it will sound.
Since the stop list is already greatly enhanced, I would ask for one addition.
Namely a Théorbe 2r. [4 4/7' + 3 5/9'] on the pedal division. With this added stop the sampleset will be perfect to play all the organ works of Jean-Louis Florentz.

Best regards,
Peter van der Zwaag

subbas32

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 4:58 am

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your suggestion! Interestingly, someone else also suggested adding a Neuvième 3 5/9' as an additional mutation. I didn't add it to the stop-list at the time as Cavaillé-Coll never used this rank (to the best of my knowledge). Having said that, there is ample space for an extra pedal rank on the stop jams, and it is a fairly natural extension given Cavaillé-Coll used Septièmes in his larger instruments.

There is also space for the previously discussed Quinte Trompete, but in the tests that I have done, it sounds very dissonant.

I'd be curious to hear opinions on these two additions.

Best,

Jake
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments