It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

Release of the Robert Morton Opus 2401 - Empress Theater

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

ggoode_sa

Release of the Robert Morton Opus 2401 - Empress Theater

PostMon Aug 04, 2014 6:44 am

Melotone Sound Productions are pleased to announce the release of the Robert Morton Opus 2401 3/12 Empress Theater specification for Hauptwerk v4. This is a virtual re-creation of the organ as it was when it was first installed.

The Robert Morton Opus 2401 3/12 was originally installed in the Empress Theater, 768 East Long Street, in Columbus, Ohio. The theater featured a seating capacity of 500 to 600 seats and primarily served the local African American community. The Empress Theater first had a Wurlitzer Model 135F theatre pipe organ (a two manual, four rank piano console instrument), Opus 381, installed on January 7, 1921. That was upgraded to a Wurlitzer Style D Special (two manual, at least six ranks, horseshoe console) in 1924. The three manual, 12 rank Robert Morton theatre pipe organ (style 23N, opus 2401) was installed in the theater in 1928.

The organ is currently owned by David Billmire, and has been extended to create a 3/17. David has kindly recorded the samples of his organ for use as a VTPO, and this 3/12 is the first release of the series that will also have a 3/12 Extended set as well as the Billmire Residence 3/17 set.

For more information, sound demos, midi files, and the order and donation forms, please go to the web page:
https://sites.google.com/site/meltonesoundssa/home/rm-opus-2401-original-312

Kind regards,
GrahamG
Member of the Melotone Sound Productions Team

ggoode_sa

Re: Release of the Robert Morton Opus 2401 - Empress Theater

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 2:31 am

And here is a link to the demo midi tune, Misha Stefanuk playing that great Jazz piece - "Satin Doll" by Duke Ellington, one of the jazz musicians who entertained audiences in the Empress Theater!

https://soundcloud.com/melotone-sounds/misha-stefanuk-playing-satin-doll-empress-robert-morton-reverb

Kind regards,
GrahamG

steve till

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 9:02 am

I don't hear anything. Do I have to pay to hear it? I don't know what sound cloud is..

ggoode_sa

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 9:17 am

No, you don't need to login or pay. SoundCloud does, however, require Adobe Flash in order to play. You also need to press the Play button ( > ).

russell

PostTue Aug 12, 2014 3:03 pm

I own a Rodgers Olympic 333 with 3 manuals and no built-in 2nd touch. Is there any way to add Solo Mel, Great Mel, and or Accomp Mel (melody couplers) to other Melotone organs with 2nd touch for those who don't have 2nd touch built in to their console keyboards (similar to the stops on the Freedom Morton 3/17? This could be controlled by a piston or keystroke.

ggoode_sa

PostWed Aug 13, 2014 3:39 am

Hi Russel,

For the Empress Theater specification this will not be possible (as we're sticking to the 'original' specification of the organ as it was when installed in the theater). The next one in the series (the 3/12 Modern) is already in Beta testing and at this stage I'm not going to change things to add Melody couplers, but once the 3/17 Billmire Residence set is done and I'm working on an extended set of that specification, I will consider adding Melody couplers as I have done with the Freedom Morton 3/17.

Until then, you can use Hauptwerk's divisional master couplers to get Melody couplers between the Accomp, Great, and Solo.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

russell

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 2:48 am

Have you considered adding melody couplers to the planned extended Wonder Morton 4/32? BTW, I am enjoying the Freedom Morton very much.
Russell Gill

Return to Hauptwerk instruments