It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 am

Armley Schulze

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Organorak

Re: Armley Schulze

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 4:15 am

What fantastic news! This organ probably influenced the development of the British Victorian organ more than just about any other, and IMHO is one of the most beautifully voiced organs in the entire country. I've played it a few times and it never fails to reduce me almost to tears. Interestingly despite its fame it is in its third home, having never been nearly so appreciated either in the wooden barn where it was first installed nor briefly in another church before arriving in Armley. The combination of Schulze's voicing expertise and a soaring gothic stone building with the perfect acoustic for a grand organ seem to have sealed this organ's reputation as one of the greatest organs ever installed in the UK. It is fantastic to see that it has now been sampled, though I would think the surround sets would be a "must" for anyone with the right equipment, to benefit fully from the church ambience. Great to see that a proportion of the proceeds of the sales will be returned to the maintenance of this wonderful organ too.

When I designed my own stop jambs (in j-organ) for Salsbury, I took as my design cues the burr walnet jambs of the Armley console, beautifully executed by Binns. Irrespective of the sound of the thing, the console has to be one of the most handsome drawstop consoles ever designed.

Organorak

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 12:24 pm

josq wrote:
einer_von_weitem wrote:That said, for an organ builder, it should have been relatively cheap to add a few high-pitched ranks, those small pipes do not consume a lot of material or room. This organ builder choose to omit them. Intentionally, I would suppose - certainly he must have been familiar with the concept of a 2' octave or flute. So let's try to understand and use the concept that the organ builder intended, rather than making each and every sample set "universal".

Have you heard the famous five rank mixture at Armley? True, the organ has only one 2 foot stop, and that is on the Echo division so it's not going to be used as much as a chorus 2 foot.. But the Great mixture has a frankly devastating brilliance that blows into the long grass any suggestion that this is somehow just a dull "octopod".

murph

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 4:59 pm

The DVD's arrived today. All is now installed and cached. So fa, I've only used headphones, but THIS SET IS FANTASTIC!!
I can't wait for the rest.
That mixture really does clear out the cobwebs.
(If the Chancel fader is pulled down, it backs off a bit in effect, but why would one do that?)

The dynamic range is quite vast, and that is without the echo division!
The duplexing of the swell bourdon really helps the quieter combinations.
It is fascinating to hop between the chancel and nave positions. Quite instructive!!

When I have time, I will set up a 3-way speaker arrangement, which should be fun!

murph

PostMon May 23, 2016 4:31 pm

Still haven't had time to do the 3-way speaker split, but I turned on the fronts while it was loading last night and got quite a surprise!!

The samples of the bellows filling with air are AMAZINGLY life-like!!!
(Although I nearly fell off the sofa initially when I heard them)

A lovely touch.

Well done David.

162_Ranks

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 7:51 pm

Hello David (if you are listening)

Really enjoying the Armley Schulze 32. Any hints when we might see the Complete?

Brad

David Butcher

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 4:09 am

Hello Brad,

It's great that you are enjoying the Schulze sound. I'm making good progress with the rest of the instrument and am hoping for a September/October release of volume 2.

murph wrote:The dynamic range is quite vast, and that is without the echo division!

Hello Murph,

Thanks very much for all your kind comments - much appreciated. The Echo division really is very gentle, so I guess the dynamic range gets even bigger when the sample set is complete. In its original location - a purpose built wooden chalet style music room (sadly no longer standing) - full organ must have been quite devastating (wonder what the neighbours made of it?!).

162_Ranks

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 8:23 am

That is good news, I can't wait! I've already had to tame the dynamic range a bit to make it playable in my small room -- otherwise a volume level that makes the Harmonica audible terrifies the cats when I pull the "bottled lightening" mixture :twisted:

Erzahler

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 6:50 pm

Here's a new recording of Brahms and Schoenberg by Tom Bell on the real organ;
https://secured.sitewizard.co.uk/sites/ ... ls_320.htm

162_Ranks

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 8:20 am

David,

Still on track for that Sept/Oct release? I am awaiting it anxiously!

Brad

ChangedForever

PostFri Sep 23, 2016 5:14 am

IainStinson, David Butcher..... drat ... you HAD to do it, didn't you? I thought I was contented with my Enhanced Bovenkerk and PAB but now you had to post the links to this :D . Yes.... I had to follow the links to this enchanting organ provided by Lavender and the bug bit me. Just when I thought I could repair the roof, I'm going to have to watch this gem and get the entire package instead.

Thanks Lavender for the very nice link - manuals / demos / pix ...... looks like a great package, You're sure to get my hard-earned dollars!! Thanks Hauptwerk for making all this possible!!

Warm regards,
Mark near Rome, Georgia

David Butcher

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Hello Brad,

Not quite Sept/Oct but not too far off. I'd say the timescale has slipped just a tiny bit and anticipate a November release of the completed instrument. It's going pretty well, with just the Echo division to complete.

ChangedForever wrote:Just when I thought I could repair the roof, I'm going to have to watch this gem and get the entire package instead.

Thank you Mark for your kind comments and I'm now worried about your roof :) . Hopefully it will be a dry winter!

Best regards to all ...

murph

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 6:31 pm

All I can say is: soldier on as you have been doing. So far, this is THE best sounding set I have heard for HW.
If the second half of the set needs more time to make it as good as the first, then TAKE the time. It will be worth it.
(Although, christmas would be nice!!!!!?)

profeluisegarcia

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 10:22 pm

The evaluation set is a very nice small organ; each stop has a clear, robust and distinctive character. Wonder how can be the complete instrument.
Could someone give me a hint about what amount could be the standard donation-ware case of keeping the evaluation set installed? Thanks.

IainStinson

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 3:29 am

This is a wonderful instrument and use if much of the time when playing. See my earlier comments http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15071#p112712. It is, of course, of its "time and style" but is flexible and can effectively play a lot of repertoire if not always in the way the composer perhaps expected. I'm looking forward to volume 2 which will complete the organ.

I'm not sure about the level of the donation to the organ fund that Lavender had in mind the demo organ is about a third of the size of the volume 1 instrument.
These sample sets are fully functioning without time-out or limited compass ranks and are provided on a “donation-ware” basis which encourages a donation to the Armley Schulze organ maintenance fund should a decision be taken not to purchase either the 32 or 57 stop Armley sets (the price of these sets includes a donation to the fund).
. You can make a donation by clicking the button at the bottom of the page http://www.armley-schulze.co.uk/Sales.htm

Iain

NickNelson

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 3:48 am

profeluisegarcia wrote: Could someone give me a hint about what amount could be the standard donation-ware case of keeping the evaluation set installed?

It's entirely up to you.

Since the donation goes to the fund set up to maintain the real organ, you might consider what you would give if you actually went into a church with a fine organ that needed help to keep it going and match that.

Nick
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments