It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 pm

manual to pedal coupler in Steinkirchen

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

robsig

manual to pedal coupler in Steinkirchen

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 6:43 am

I purchased the Schnitger Steinkirchen sampleset a few weeks ago, and I am enjoying it immensely. There are so many things about it that I really love. Especially unusual it the inclusion of both flute and principal 2' stops on the two manuals. With this it is possible to add shades of volume and brilliance to many combinations particularly plenums. Use of the Terzian and/or the Sesquialtera in the plenum also make for interesting (and historically supported) results.

I have one question about registration. I have not found any manual to pedal couplers, and Hauptwerk's couplers do not seem to work with this organ. The options are all greyed out. I was wondering if there is a bug in my installation or if these options have been deliberately blocked by the creator of the sampleset. I have written a message to Organ Art Media. I did my installation from discs not by download so I don't think any files are corrupted.

This is a wonderful instrument, with many pedal stops, but there are times when I like to use stops from the manual in the pedal. especially an 8' flute, in quiet pieces.

Would anyone have an answer to my question?

IainStinson

Re: manual to pedal coupler in Steinkirchen

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 6:55 am

I agree it is a great sample set and one of my favourites

There are no manual to pedal couplers - reflecting the specification of the real instrument I believe.
The HW master couplers are disabled - I assume to protect the integrity of the organ. These may be a condition of the organ being sampled.

Iain
Last edited by IainStinson on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

josq

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 6:57 am

I don't have the sample set, but as you describe it, it indeed appears that the sample set creator deliberately has disabled the couplers.

A workaround is still possible, using floating divisions. See the Hauptwerk manual for details. Basically, you can route any virtual keyboard to any keyboard on your console. As a default "route", you can program everyting as intended. Then, as a second, third and fourth "route", you can assign manual I, manual II, or manual I and II to to the pedal (and to the respective corresponding console manuals). A bit complicated to set up, but after that, by the press of a button you can switch between the "routes" and enable the "couplers".

mnailor

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 4:39 pm

I'm sure greying out the master couplers was intentional. This pedal division is so complete it seems as if pedal couplers should be unnecessary. I did have to add a bit to the levels on some pedal stops to balance better against the manuals, but I think that's because my bass speakers are set pretty low to keep romantic organs from rattling the windows.

Stagge

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 6:32 am

Good news:

Prof. Dr. Maier has written that he will activate the Hauptwerk coupler in Steinkirchen.
Also in the new sample set Riepp you can use the HW-coupler .

I am very happy about that!!!

Kind regards
Sven
Last edited by Stagge on Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OAM

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 3:22 pm

Yes, a special update for the Schnitger Steinkirchen is now available, see
http://www.organartmedia.com/en/downloads.html

New features:
- Enabling right click voicing menu (only Front stops possible!)
- Enabling master couplers

Concerning the master couplers:
The standard ODFs for implementation of short octaves actually don't provide master couplers, this has be programmed additionally.

Personally I don't like master couplers for historic organs. Especially Schnitger organs don't have pedal couplers, their pedal division usually has sufficient stops.
Prof. Helmut Maier
OrganArt Media Sound Engineering
D-88662 Überlingen/Lake Constance
http://www.organartmedia.com

Return to Hauptwerk instruments