It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 pm

Trying to find an Organ sample set

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

jlefevre1

Trying to find an Organ sample set

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 3:26 pm

I have spent days looking at hundreds of sample sets. Have yet to find anything exactly what I want. The St. Annes is close. I need to do a lot of editing of the layout to fit my 3 touch screens and don't know how to do that yet. One thing the St. Annes is missing that I would really like is a 32 foot pedal stop.

So I am looking for an organ for church music ( Episcopal ) with 2 manuals of 61 keys each and a pedalboard of 31 ( or 30 can't remember ). I have physical thumb pistons. I have 8 channels of sound with 300 watts per channel. I have 2 huge 18 inch subwoofers, 4 large JBL units with 15 inch bass and horn mid ranges for antiphonal, and 8 other speaker systems that are 2 sets of matched quads for great and swell. Computer is a Mac Pro with 3.25 GHZ 6 core processor and 16 GB Ram and 512 GB SSD. Audio interface is a MOTU 828 multi channel connected via thunderbolt.

Any recommendations. Church is fairly small and very dead acoustically so a wet sample set would be nice or a good tremulant and/or reverb.

1961TC4ME

Re: Trying to find an Organ sample set

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 4:46 pm

Might be a tall order if you for sure only want to go with 2 manuals. Personally, for features, stop selection, sound quality not to mention having the ability to adjust the sound anywhere from drop dead awesome wet, to awesome bone dry and anything in between, I'd recommend the Dingelstaedt from SP. It should give you everything you want and then some. 8)

Only thing you'd probably want to do depending on how you want to load it is up your memory to 32 GB.

Marc

mkc1

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Maybe the South Suffolk Organ from Lavender?

http://www.lavenderaudio.co.uk/organs/sso/

It's one of the few 2 manual with a 32ft pedal stop sets that I'm aware of.

Conversely, it isn't terribly difficult to play a 3manual set from a 2manual console with couplers, redirectable keyboard inputs, etc., but whether that's practical or not depends on who's going to play it regularly. I use the Haverhill extended set (also from Lavender) regularly and use the choir-to-great melody coupler to solo out melodies in festive hymns on the choir tuba on top of the great principal chorus.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Andrew Grahame

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 5:28 pm

Have you looked at the "Georgian 35" from Silver Octopus Studios?

http://www.silveroctopus.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.silveroctopus.co.uk/georgian_series.htm

Andrew

johnstump_organist

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 9:56 pm

Just a thought, but don't forget the possibility of buying a larger set and only using what you want from it, maybe just volume 1 of Salisbury or Hereford. The Hereford 46 has a 32 foot stop in the pedal, and all those other sounds in the choir and solo would be available for you to couple into one of your two manuals.
John

mdyde

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 4:22 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

seh52

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 8:25 am

Would you like to build your own VPO sample set from a library? Check out Basilica: http://organ.monespace.net/ORGANWORKS/s ... tware.html

josq

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 8:33 am

jlefevre1 wrote: Church is fairly small and very dead acoustically so a wet sample set would be nice or a good tremulant and/or reverb.

An important question: will you use the organ to accompany singing? You may give the organ cathedral acoustics, but the choir/congregation will still have to do with the acoustics of your church and will experience a mismatch.

So my advice would be to use for a dry set in any situation you need to accompany singers and or/instruments.

murph

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Goerlitz?
The front near samples are bone dry. Move the slider and cathedral acoustics.
Best of both?

Tweedle_Dee

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 11:16 am

I will be curious to hear about which sample set you decide on and how it works for you. I'm in a similar situation (Episcopal/dry acoustic/smallish church), however, our virtual organ has not been set up yet. We're looking at Nov or Dec this year. Keep us posted.

ppytprs

PostSun Jul 03, 2016 6:17 am

It is also possible to extend sample sets. I have a version of St Anne's with a 32ft (2 actually!) done for me by subbass32 on the forum here. I'm sure he'd be willing to let you have it for a small fee.

Jan Loosman

PostSun Jul 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Velesovo is a 2 manual wet set with a 32 untersatz in the pedal.
The compass is only 56 keys, so that does not meet the requirements but other wise it has 38 stops, so it is very versatile.

Regards Jan

Return to Hauptwerk instruments