It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 pm

Hammond

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

mroels1989

Hammond

PostSat Jul 30, 2016 9:28 pm

Is there ever made a sample set for Hammond organ?
It should be very interesting...

organtechnology

Re: Hammond

PostSat Jul 30, 2016 9:46 pm

Some people claim drawbar organs are not really organs :) There are some Hammond drawbar simulators out there but they require a different philosophy from a pipe organ. The Hammond is based on a few stops, mostly flues, whose volume and percussiveness are modified in real time. Hauptwerk is not built to interpret this data. The physical equivalent would be ranks of flues that put each rank under individually constrolled expression and modify the wind pressure for each rank on demand. Better done with something other than Hauptwerk.

I tried to take an old drawbar console and MIDIfy it but the drawbars and keyboards were very difficult to work with and there are some Hammond MIDI controllers available.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

OrganoPleno

PostSun Jul 31, 2016 12:11 am

mroels1989 wrote:Is there ever made a sample set for Hammond organ?
It should be very interesting...

The "Vintage Organs" program from Native Instruments
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ge-organs/
would fit the bill.

It should play fine on any Hauptwerk setup, just not using Hauptwerk.

IainStinson

PostSun Jul 31, 2016 3:02 am

I have a copy of the Native Instruments Vintage Organs which I use on my Hauptwerk setup. The B3 produces authentic Hammond sounds but its audio and console setup (with the free Kontakt 5 player) are much less satisfactory than using Hauptwerk to host a sample set. (The samples are streamed from the hard drive / SSD rather than being held in memory - so expect the computer to behave a little differently). I use a separate user account to run the Hammond B3 so that I can customise the startup and Windows settings for the B3.) I don't really use the other "organs" in the pack.

Iain

organtechnology

PostSun Jul 31, 2016 10:11 pm

IainStinson wrote:I have a copy of the Native Instruments Vintage Organs which I use on my Hauptwerk setup. The B3 produces authentic Hammond sounds but its audio and console setup (with the free Kontakt 5 player) are much less satisfactory than using Hauptwerk to host a sample set. (The samples are streamed from the hard drive / SSD rather than being held in memory - so expect the computer to behave a little differently). I use a separate user account to run the Hammond B3 so that I can customise the startup and Windows settings for the B3.) I don't really use the other "organs" in the pack.

Iain

What do you use for drawbars?
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

IainStinson

PostMon Aug 01, 2016 4:16 am

Nothing fancy... I just use the touch screens on the console. Not ideal...

Iain

dcitron

PostThu Aug 18, 2016 10:04 am

I love the sound and flexibility/configurability of this Reason plugin: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... els-organ/

I use it live onstage. It's allllmost perfect :)

Of course, you need Reason already to use that plugin.

engrssc

PostThu Aug 18, 2016 11:52 am

IainStinson wrote:Nothing fancy... I just use the touch screens on the console.

Just asking, could slider type (normally volume) controls be used for the drawbars? How about stepped/adjustable fixed resistor switching?

My first organ lessons were on a Hammond Concert model, a step up over the B3 as it had a radiating pedal board. Quite a difference to practice on a B3 and have lessons of the Concert model. Thankfully, shortly after starting lessons, my organ teacher "moved" my lessons up to his church with a 4 M Austin P/O. Never looked back.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Hauptwerk instruments