It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

Aeolian-Skinner from Sonus Paradisi forthcomming

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

IainStinson

Re: Aeolian-Skinner from Sonus Paradisi forthcomming

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 2:12 pm

I'm really enjoying this sample set. The samples are excellent and the short reverberation time of the church makes it a good instrument for practice as well as for "performing".

The Spitzflöte Coelestis is delightful (English organs don't seem to have Flute Celestes) and the principal chorus on the Great bright and clear as one would expect in a neo-baroque American (or UK) instrument. There are lots of fine sounding stops which work well solo stops or in combination with others. I find the soft 16ft reed on the Pedal division really useful when playing Bach. (I was also encouraged to include the soft Pedal reed in the pedal division playing Bach or other contrapuntal music by my organ teacher (in the late 1960s). The organ is a good for most types of organ music though with the accent of the neo -baroque. The Hindemith organ sonatas work well on this instrument.

I have increased the volume of the Zimbelstern and action noises - I thought they were a little too soft.

The installation was very straight forward (from the downloaded files, though I have also bought the memory stick with the samples). I used the HW master combination system rather than those in the sample set to have 8 rather than 6 divisional and general pistons and to make use of the reversible pistons -this matches my console better than the pistons combination facilities in the real organ.

Whilst the extension offered looks very good (and reportedly sounds well too) but so far I'm happy with the "original" instrument; I shall, however, keep it under review as I read what others say about it.
Iain

Daniel Dries

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 1:18 am

This is a superb sample set, which actually sounds like it it's in the room (rather than sounding like a CD). Although the samples are of the highest quality, I am finding it absolutely brilliant for learning notes etc (particularly thanks to the ability to adjust diffuse/direct levels).

I was reluctant about purchasing the extension, but finally yeilded. I haven't regretted it for a moment. It turns an excellent sample set into a stunning and much more versatile instrument.

johnstump_organist

PostSat Jan 21, 2017 1:36 pm

I was skeptical of this set at first, not having played many AS organs in my life that I found to my taste.
However, this is a well done set, and I'm willing to bet that Lawernce Schoenstein had a lot to do with making it sound better in its new home than it did in its old one. (also wondering if the Brombaugh that is coming is the one in the new building of the Presbyterian church that the AS came out of, unless I have my Presbyterian Church names mixed up in my memory). The samples are incredibly clean and clear and I have yet to stumble across any "funny notes" (notes that seem to have the wrong attack or sustained note or release sample connected to them, or something funny because of the strange acoustic phenomenon) as I do in almost all sample sets.
Using the balance sliders, I found that the sound I liked the most was with just the middle and rear samples, so I reloaded the organ without the direct front samples to save on loading time.
I use the different Bombarde voices and have revoiced the Gt one to be a darker, slightly softer English Tromba like sound, and boosted the Choir one to be brighter and louder.
The extension is very well done and worth the money, more so I think than the Caen one, which I also like, not just as much as this one. I would have liked three more stops in the extension, (Sw. Faggoto playing at 8, Ch. Rohr Schalmey playing at 8 and !6 Gemshorn playing at 8 and maybe a 1' in the Swell) Other than that it is very useful.
For my taste, I find all the mixtures a little too timid and mild, so I may goose them up just a little, but I know that is my personal taste.
Interesting little side story. When I was an accompanist for the San Francisco Girls Chorus they held many of their East Bay concerts in this building, so I only had occasion played the piano. I saw the console and knew form the toe studs it as an AS but it was always locked and I never bothered to chase down someone to see about trying it out. Having seen the drum set and Hammond, and pictures of the music program hanging in the hallways of the church, I assumed, wrongly of course as many assumptions are, that the pipe organ had probably been abandoned in favor of a more happy/clappy style of Contemporary Christian music, and that the organ was possibly in need of restoration.
John

162_Ranks

PostSat Jan 21, 2017 3:15 pm

FYI - I'm sure that Jake would be easily able to further customize the extension for you, and I've always found his prices to be reasonable. You might want to reach out to him.

murph

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 4:57 pm

murph wrote:Oh, great news!!

I'm intriuged by the Rosales. If you are going to have it ready for Christmas, it's probably not OP11 (or could one hope for OP24?).
Which leaves Fresno.......

The prospect of a Skinner collection is quite good, too! (Although, I prefer earlier than this one, it might be worth a shot. I need a birthday pressie for me.)

"Does little happy dance!". It IS OP11.
And it sounds fantastic!!!!!
(Weird acoustic, though. Sounds like carpet on the back wall.) This is DEFINITELY on the want list.

subbas32

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 7:52 pm

Dear all,

Version 1.1 of the Oakland Aeolian Skinner Extension is now available.

The main changes with respect to version 1.0 are:
1) addition of AGO and European style stop layouts. Both are available as single jambs and left/right jambs. The left/right jambs are available in horizontal and vertical orientation
2) addition of a Plein-jeu III and Oboe 8' on the Swell
3) addition of divisional and general combinations
4) removal of duplicated/unified pedal stops

With Jiri's American sample-sets (the Aeolian-Skinner, Rosales and Reuter), maybe it's time for a large American Classic organ :). But of course, I first need to finish the Rotterdam extension.

Best regards,

Jake

smfrank

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 2:51 am

subbas32 wrote:With Jiri's American sample-sets (the Aeolian-Skinner, Rosales and Reuter), maybe it's time for a large American Classic organ :).

Yes. Yes. Yes. Please do it. Today.
These are wonderful sets.
Steve
Steven Frank

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 10:05 am

What about adding some reverb to feel the warm atmosphere of american classic organ? (at least, that was my first impression when I played these organs decade ago).

jharmon

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 12:50 pm

I have never been satisfied with reverb (convolution) added to wet sample sets in the past. The Oakland Skinner is an exception. I added reverb to the sample set and found it provided a very satisfactory sound. The Oakland Skinner with Jake's extension and the added reverb provides clarity with depth.

subbas32

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Luis,

profeluisegarcia wrote:What about adding some reverb to feel the warm atmosphere of american classic organ? (at least, that was my first impression when I played these organs decade ago).

Interesting suggestion. As jharmon already mentioned, I think the best option is to add convolution reverb outside of Hauptwerk. In the case of a non-encrypted sample-sets, it is also possible to add convolution reverb directly to the samples, but this is rather time-consuming and usually requires some trial and error to get a satisfactory result.

Kind regards,

Jake
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments