It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:08 am

newbie choosing first sample set

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

fermata

newbie choosing first sample set

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 9:06 pm

Hello!
I am new to organ playing, a hobbyist, and wonder how to go about choosing the my first (and possibly only) sample set. I do not like harsh, nasal sounds that some organs seem to have, and that sound nothing like the reeds they are supposed to be imitating; I go for mellow and beautiful, full, rich, etc. Suggestions, anyone?

engrssc

Re: newbie choosing first sample set

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 9:18 pm

Check out

http://almorse.net/content_freeorgans.html

Walcker opus 1747 mod 2013: and it's free.

Also here

http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/blog/category/free-stuff/

The advantage is that you can try out various sample sets and get
an idea of which (type) you prefer to possibly purchase.

Rgds,
Ed

josq

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 10:06 pm

Yes, there is a lot of free stuff to explore and perhaps you will grow to like the baroque sounds a bit more which we should not recommend now I presume :wink:

But in direct response to your inquiry, I think Salisbury might suit you very well. It is a great famous organ that fits your description quite exactly.

RichardW

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 8:49 am

You do get a "free" organ included with Hauptwerk, of course, the St Anne's, Moseley set.

I don't like the strident sounds of many organs, either, so I know what you mean. Before you finally splash out, why not download a few free sets to discover what you really like. Find the "Downloadable (freeware, shareware, trial) Samplesets" section here: http://www.pcorgan.com/SampleSetsEN.html . Try the Sonus Paradisi 1916, Walcker, Martinikerk, Doesburg, Nederland demo, for instance, or the 1973, Marcussen, Laurenskerk, Rotterdam, Nederland demo.

Salisbury can be recommended but it is quite expensive. Hereford sounds very similar but I have never played it.

I am assuming that you want a church-style organ and will be playing it in a simple stereo or surround set up. Later sets support surround sound. That implies that you will be looking for a "wet" set that has the reverberation of the sounds built-in to the samples. That gobbles computer power but sounds good to me.

The alternative is to pick a "dry" set that has no reverb and does not sound very good until you add some reverb either artificially or by playing it in a large building. Theatre organ sample sets seem to go down this route.
Richard

telemanr

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 9:28 am

I would just point out that dry sets really need multiple speakers with ranks and division distributed amongst them.. A stereo pair with added reverb won't sound convincing at all.
Rob Enns

OrganoPleno

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 11:51 am

fermata wrote:Hello!
I am new to organ playing, a hobbyist, and wonder how to go about choosing the my first (and possibly only) sample set. I do not like harsh, nasal sounds that some organs seem to have, and that sound nothing like the reeds they are supposed to be imitating; I go for mellow and beautiful, full, rich, etc. Suggestions, anyone?

I will second what others have said here. You would certainly enjoy the full Salisbury set if it is affordable and if your computer can handle it. Excellent starting points include the free Demo sets from Sonus Paradisi, and the free and trial sets listed on pcorgan.com

Go for "wet sets" which capture the orginal Acoustic, for the most satisfying results.

Also, once you have some of the lovely sounds you want, you may come to enjoy something more distinctive by way of contrast. When I first started out, I used the Trost sample set (German Baroque) as my main interest... then I got the Santanyi Organ (Spanish, with absolutely wild trumpets and buzzy sounds) as my "bad boy" organ for when I just wanted something different.

Your mileage will vary, so discover your own preferences as you go along. Besides all the free sets, many others are modestly priced. And you'll want to splurge on at least one as a "major investment". You might like the Salisbury for this. Be sure to listen to lots of Demos... as posted by each Sample Set producer, and check the performances on ContreBombarde.com also to get an idea of what a Sample Set can do in experienced hands (or otherwise...)

Enjoy your new Hobby! There's really nothing like it. And be sure to post here for any other questions or interesting discoveries as they arise.

telemanr

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 9:35 pm

I just tried the Walcker that Ed suggested. It's quite a nice 2 manual and certainly a bargain.
Rob Enns

mdyde

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 2:47 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 3:24 am

telemanr wrote:I just tried the Walcker that Ed suggested. It's quite a nice 2 manual and certainly a bargain.

For a relatively small organ, it has quite a big organ sound.

Next to free, I guess the next best is if we were paid to use it. :shock: :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

b.natural

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 7:27 am

The Menesterol and Zoblitz are two dandy, not-too-expensive sample sets.

fermata

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 9:23 am

Thank you all for your suggestions, which I am already checking out! Also, for the wet/dry tip -- I will certainly stick with wet -- a stereo system is quite sufficient for me. While I suppose it is possible I may get interested in multiple sample sets down the road, right now, all I want is something I can actually play. I am posting other questions, too, under other threads, with regard to setting up a home organ system, re platform choice, touchscreen, pistons, speakers, etc.

scottherbert

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 5:04 pm

Hello Fermata, in recommending instruments it helps to know your likes and dislikes. You stated that you disliked the "nasal" sounding reeds and liked full rich ones. Are you new to pipe organs in general? I ask because some stops are meant to sound somewhat 'nasal' in a way, i.e. Vox Humanas, or Regals. Whereas French (Cavaille-Coll) Trompettes are quite full and profound, as are English Tubas. An Oboe can sound nasal or sweet, as can it's orchestral counterpart, depending on how it has been voiced. But all this is part of the fun of real pipes!

If you can let us know more of what you have heard, and liked, as well as disliked, we can help guide you with more accuracy.

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

fermata

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 6:53 pm

Yes, Scott, I am new to the organ and I think you put your finger on it, that some of these "nasal" sounds are rather in the character of the organ, and a lot depends on the way those sounds are used. I have a lot to learn, for sure! Several sample sets have already been recommended, and I will be checking them all out in due course. Thanks for your interest in helping!

Return to Hauptwerk instruments