It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 am

New Hauptwerk Extension Project

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Jmecho

Re: New Hauptwerk Extension Project

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 8:39 am

Another vote for Rotterdam surround

Regards

jcwall

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 10:03 am

And another :)

Doc

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 4:55 pm

Hello, may I post this link :
https://youtu.be/rY1P0AzePNw
Here is the great organ of Saint-Omer
Cordially

laurentiui

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 6:55 pm

My vote is for Rotterdam.

subbas32

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 12:20 pm

Thanks for the information and insights Martijn, Martin, and Luc! I will add the Sostenuto feature as described by Martijn to the list.

Thanks ostrovitch, Jmecho, jcwall, and laurentiui for your votes! It looks like Rotterdam will be the next project that we tackle.

Based on the feedback received so far and with feedback from the beta team, I will prepare a list of specifications for the Rotterdam sample-set. I will be posting these in a separate forum thread so that everyone interested can give feedback and suggestions.

Doc wrote:Hello, may I post this link :
https://youtu.be/rY1P0AzePNw
Here is the great organ of Saint-Omer

Thanks for the link, Doc! I'm interpretting your post as a vote for St. Omer.

Best regards,

Jake

Carlos Cappellaro

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 7:55 am

I vote for Rotterdam, and these are my reasons:

The instrument is big y powerful, allowing a great amount of combinations and a great dynamic range, from the softer stops to the strongest ones. The sampling is very balanced between clarity and the mystic that the reverb from a big space provides. I did not find that in Caen, despite many trials, particularly due to the lack of the presence of a large space in the original sampling (which is still present in the 4 manual extension). Metz is much better in that sense, but it is a small organ. That is why I did not choose them and chose the big Marcussen to record most of the work by Messian, who, besides the original French symphonic style, always asked for the extension of the Trinité into a more "modern" or "universal" instrument.

With just a few additions, that universality plus can be achieved in Rotterdam. Basicaly, a few colours are needed, in the Hauptwerk, Rugwerk, Borstwerk and Pedal. These can be obtained from the own stops, without needing other instruments. With these additions, the implementation of the expression pedal in the Rugwerk, the extension of the manuals to 61 notes and the pedal to 32, virtually any repertoire could be played in this organ.

Possible additions sugested:

Hauptwerk: Strong string 8’(like Violoncello) and stopped 16’ (Bourdon)

Rugwerk: Softs 2 2/3 and 1 3/5 to complete cornet, soft string (Salicional) and maybe a beating 8’.

Borstwerk: String 8’ to reinforce fonds and soft 1 3/5

Pedal: A soft 32’, which could be taken from Gedekt 16’ in the Bovenwerk. It would be very nice to accompany very soft passages. The Principal 32’ is too strong for that.

It would also be interesting to complete the chorus reeds (trumpets, no soloist) to 16, 8 and 4 both in the Hauptwerk and in the Rugwerk and increase the volume a little bit (both Bazuins of the Pedal too). Personally I do not like very much the sampling of the chamades (too much “at the face”, Caen style); that is why I do not find them usefull as the ending of a tutti as they do not match well with the rest, which does happen with the real organ.

One last suggestion: Still many sample makers design the left and right jambs in the 4:3 format for landscape and 16:9 (the reverse, in fact) for portrait. I think most people do no longer use 4:3 monitors as right and left jambs. Therefore there is a considerable amount of space wasted (as black vertical bands on both sides of each screen). If the jambs were redesign to 16:9 for landscape (for any, but specially for this instrument) there would be more space to add stops or just to enlarge or re distribute the existing one, to make them easier to read without the need of adding photos on the screen which do not help.

jerrynazard

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 8:57 am

What Carlos just said: Rotterdam is my organ for Durufle and his suggestions are excellent. I revoiced the Borst 8' as a Harmonic Flute which works well. However, adding a Harmonic Flute on the HW would be useful, too.

josq

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 1:27 pm

Just a small suggestion for those who feel the need for a soft 32': you can use the 10 2/3' combined with a 16' to generate a resultant 32' which, in my experience, works well as a "soft" alternative to the 32' Praestant.

subbas32

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Carlos Cappellaro, jerrynazard, and josq,

Thanks for your ideas and feedback! I've marked them down on my to-do list.

One other suggestion I received elsewhere is to include a metronome, which I'm also adding to the list of suggestions.

Best regards,

Jake

mdyde

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 4:48 am

subbas32 wrote:ne other suggestion I received elsewhere is to include a metronome, which I'm also adding to the list of suggestions

Hello Jake,

Although you could potentially code a metronome within a Hauptwerk organ definition, I wouldn't advise it, since its timing couldn't be relied upon to be absolutely accurate (without drifting a little, for example). However, we do have an enhancement request logged for the future for (accurate) metronome function natively within Hauptwerk itself.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jerrynazard

PostThu Nov 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Jake,

I find myself sometimes coupling the Sw 16' Bombarde to the Ped. I suppose with all the other changes being made, this would prove useful. Just a thought. Looking forward to your forthcoming creation!

Best!

-Jerry

subbas32

PostFri Nov 04, 2016 3:40 am

Hello Martin,

Although you could potentially code a metronome within a Hauptwerk organ definition, I wouldn't advise it, since its timing couldn't be relied upon to be absolutely accurate (without drifting a little, for example).

Rather delayed on my part, but thanks for the information! I don't think I will be adding a metronome to this extension.

Hello Jerry,

I find myself sometimes coupling the Sw 16' Bombarde to the Ped.

Thanks for your suggestion!

I've been compiling a stoplist together with the beta testing team. I expect to post the proposed (but tentative) disposition on the forum within the next few days. Fortunately, it will include most of the suggestions put on the table so far.

As we did with the 4-manual Caen extension, I would like to make two versions of the extension (but within the same ODF). The first version will be a "traditional" style pipe organ without unifications, while the second version will include unifications and the non-standard features that have been discussed in this thread.

Best regards,

Jake

marcothart

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 6:26 am

Hello Jake,

My vote is for Rotterdam, but I think you already decided to focus on that instrument :-)
Many others have named their wishes and I have 'not much' to add to your list, I think.

My wishes:

* Hoofdwerk:
Bourdon 16
Bourdon 8 (softer than the Open Fluit)
Gamba 8
Terts 3 1/5
Quint 2 2/3
Terts 1 3/5
Trompet 4

* Rugwerk:
Bourdon 16

* Bovenwerk (swell):
Gamba 16
Flute d'amour 8 (beating)
Quint 2 2/3
Octaaf 2
Quint 1 1/3
Septime 1 1/7
None 8/9
Basson 32
Basson 16 (softer than the Bombarde)
Hobo-Basson 8

* Borstwerk:
Quintadeen 16
Regaal 4

* Chamadewerk:
Trompeta magna 16' (basc.)

* Pedaal:
Subbas 32
Violon 16
Bourdon 16 (softer than Open Subbas)
Bourdon 8 (softer than Gemshoorn)
Gamba 8
Terts 6 2/5
Septiem 4 4/7
None 3 5/9
Fagot 8

I'm very curious about the complete list and looking forward to your plans!
Still very happy with the Caen extension, which I enjoy every day ... :-)

Best regards,
Marco

jerrynazard

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 12:56 pm

Jake,

Marco just posted some excellent suggestions, especially for those of us that play 20th cent French on Rotterdam. I think the 32' reed in the Sw should most definitely be included. Very useful. It could be borrowed to the Ped, too!

Thank you, Marco!

-Jerry

subbas32

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Hello Marco, Jerry,

Thanks for your suggestions!

By this time, the stop-list has grown to a rather substantial and flexible organ. I will need some more time to check the feasibility of each of the new stops, but I will be posting a proposed stop-list for the extension as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Jake
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments