It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:06 am

Hereford XL Mkii

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

murph

Hereford XL Mkii

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 2:45 pm

Just a quick thank you to David Butcher for the Mkii XL version. I only noticed it today, It's very welcome!

organsRgreat

Re: Hereford XL Mkii

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 3:50 pm

Could you give me a link to the XL Mkii version please? I had a quick look on the Lavender Audio site just now and couldn't find any relevant information. Thanks :)

dhm

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 3:59 pm

Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

organsRgreat

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 4:46 pm

Honestly, responses on this forum are SO FAST! Thanks Douglas – what most pleases me is that the 16ft Bourdon on the Choir is now available on the Pedals. Often otherwise well-balanced organs suffer from too few pedal ranks, and this causes real difficulties in registration. The Hereford set definitely needed a quieter pedal 16ft than the Bourdon, so three cheers and thanks David Butcher :)

organsRgreat

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 4:50 pm

Clarification: needed a quieter pedal 16ft than the UNENCLOSED Bourdon. (Forgot how to edit posts and too tired now to look it up!).

murph

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 5:01 pm

All of the above, AND : divisional volumes!!!!!!!!!!!
Turn up the choir 3dB. Turn up the swell 4.5dB (possibly, voice the reeds down 2dB), Turn down the solo 2dB.

Much more living room friendly.
The alt enclosure response is great.
It's nice to be able to enclose the party horn, but previously, voicing the Trombae could do the same. Still appreciated, though!!!!

The chimes are interesting.....

castaway

PostMon Oct 10, 2016 12:13 am

The sharing of the the Choir 16' Lieblich Bourdon to the pedal PLUS the ability for the user to individualize the volume level of each organ division is a priceless enhancement for the Hereford 67!

Thanks, David.

IainStinson

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 5:00 am

The update to the XL version of Hereford installed without any problems.

The Choir Lieblich Bourdon 16 borrowed on the Pedal is most useful. I like the alternative expression pedal response - it makes the instrument respond more realistic. The pedal divisional coupling is useful as quite a lot of UK instruments operate in this way (possibly because the manual to pedal couplers are mechanical (within the console) even when the action to the rest of the organ is electro pneumatic or pneumatic). I'm not sure about the Chimes - I don't think I shall find them very useful (but I don't have to use them!). I agree other that the ability to divisional level controls will be useful in finely adjusting the balance of the organ in the player's room.

Thanks for a useful update to an already excellent instrument.

Iain

David Butcher

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 6:13 am

Many thanks all for your comments and I'm pleased that you're finding the update useful. I think that almost without exception the additions are in response to suggestions received over the years, so it's been good to be able to incorporate your ideas into this update.

The Chimes were a response to a couple specific requests and are intended for liturgical use where the Hereford sample set is being used in a church. In the UK I don't think we use chimes much - certainly not in the Anglican tradition - so I can imagine their inclusion may have raised some eyebrows. I've tried playing a couple of hymn melody lines on the chimes where they then sound rather like a carillon. Quite pleasant, but I'm not sure what else to use them for either!

Apologies to anyone who has submitted an idea for the XL set and has not seen it implemented yet. I've kept all suggestions on file and there may be further development work on this set in the future.

jerrynazard

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 9:42 am

David,
Just a quick thank you for the update. Enclosed tuba and revised pedal couplers make such a difference. The divisional level controls are very helpful. The instrument is wonderful.

Many thanks!
-Jerry

Return to Hauptwerk instruments