It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 am

defining sample set size

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

fermata

defining sample set size

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 7:06 am

How is a sample set defined as small, medium, or large? Is it by the number of stops, GBs of memory, or something else? Thanks.

scottherbert

Re: defining sample set size

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 9:04 am

I guess I would judge an organs size by number of stops/manuals first. The GB of memory is somewhat flexible when the organ is loaded as one can choose not to load some stops, and to load some or all at lower degrees of realism, i.e. 16bit instead of 24bit, lossless compression, less loops, etc.

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

fermata

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 8:52 pm

Can Milan's Mt. Carmel Skinner sample set be classified as moderately sized? It has 52 stops (I count 58, excluding couplers and tremolos). Requires 4-8GB.

GLMounk

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 9:28 pm

I consider the E.M. Skinner a medium sized organ. There are three pedal stops that are borrowed from the manuals that are included in the stop count. If you count the actual ranks of the organ those three borrowed stops would not be included in the rank count. Percussion stops generally don't get counted when people talk about the size of various organs because they are not speaking pipes.
Glen

fermata

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 11:27 am

Thanks, Glen. Do you by chance have this sample set? The wet or MastWorks Edition? The latter costs a lot more for some reason. Since I don't like sounds to be too wet, I am considering the MasterWorks Edition, but I can't hear much difference in the online recordings. Do you have thoughts on the two versions?

telemanr

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 12:33 pm

I have both versions. The Masterworks Skinner is completely dry not just somewhat dry You have to add at least some reverb but in my opinion it and indeed any sets completely dry are meant for multi channel setups where you can distribute ranks and pipes among a number of speakers. I have just a stereo + subwoofer setup with rear speakers so I have to add reverb but I don't find it very persuasive.
Rob Enns

GLMounk

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 5:16 pm

I have the wet version. I have a stereo setup that can put out over 1,000 watts. I wasn't too thrilled with the sound after I first installed it, however all the stops blended well after I tuned the whole organ by ear. So I would suggest you tune the set should you purchase it. You will find some issues with the odd note that cannot be corrected using Hauptwerk.
Glen

telemanr

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 5:52 pm

The basic problem with the wet version is that it does not have multiple releases which results in ringing (excessive fully developed reverb) with staccato or rapid notes.
Rob Enns

fermata

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 6:21 pm

Thank you both.

telemanr wrote:I have both versions. The Masterworks Skinner is completely dry not just somewhat dry You have to add at least some reverb but in my opinion it and indeed any sets completely dry are meant for multi channel setups where you can distribute ranks and pipes among a number of speakers. I have just a stereo + subwoofer setup with rear speakers so I have to add reverb but I don't find it very persuasive.

What did you mean, telemanr, that you did not find it persuasive? -- that adding reverb to the dry version does not work very well with a stereo setup?

Glen, does this happen often that sample sets need to be tuned? How long did it take you to tune the Mt. Carmel Skinner? Do you know if anyone else has had this problem? It's not encouraging to learn this.

fermata

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 6:28 pm

telemanr wrote:The basic problem with the wet version is that it does not have multiple releases which results in ringing (excessive fully developed reverb) with staccato or rapid notes.

This is very disappointing. I was looking forward to the set because it's moderately sized and has the harp, chimes, etc. But it sounds like the set has problems.

telemanr

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 7:52 pm

Depends on what you play on it. Slow and majestic works well. Even some faster pieces can sound ok. Unfortunately you can try it. You might want to look into any recordings of it on...

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/home/front
Rob Enns

Return to Hauptwerk instruments