It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 am

Three to two manuals

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

mdyde

Re: Three to two manuals

PostThu Nov 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Hello abaymajr,

Thanks for the clarification.

I haven't so far been able to think of a way that you could force Hauptwerk to re-send all stop states via MIDI output (other than by resetting it, which wouldn't help for your intended purpose, of course).

I don't have first-hand experience with Bome's MIDI Translator, but if its programming/scripting facilities are sufficiently powerful to store, switch and recall mappings in real-time, then perhaps it would also be possible for you always to listen for the MIDI messages it receives from all relevant virtual stops, and store those states in variables, so that your program/script would already know what states the relevant stops needed to be be in when it switched mappings.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

abaymajr

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 11:34 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello abaymajr,

Thanks for the clarification.

I haven't so far been able to think of a way that you could force Hauptwerk to re-send all stop states via MIDI output (other than by resetting it, which wouldn't help for your intended purpose, of course).

I don't have first-hand experience with Bome's MIDI Translator, but if its programming/scripting facilities are sufficiently powerful to store, switch and recall mappings in real-time, then perhaps it would also be possible for you always to listen for the MIDI messages it receives from all relevant virtual stops, and store those states in variables, so that your program/script would already know what states the relevant stops needed to be be in when it switched mappings.

Hi Martin,

Just like to share with you and other people who might be monitoring this thread that I successfully implemented the "floating drawknobs" idea using Bome's MIDI. I was motivated by the imminent Poblet Abbey Metzler 2012 sampleset release by OAM. As a forehand trial, I did the test with another 3-manual ~50-stop organ sampleset. It took me some days of programming learning and testing. Storing and restoring drawkobs on/off states from two different divisions into variables was a relatively easy task between BOME MIDI Translator and the Roland console. The main challenge was to manage/decode those Rodgers/Roland shared sysex messages through bit-wise operations, so switched drawknobs would not interfere in other ones. Recoding those MIDI messages back to the console in the case of operating stops through Hauptwerk interface was also hard to understand what to do.

After all, everything became very functional. I designated different MIDI triggering messages for keyboard routing and for illuminated drawknobs routing, so an assistant or me could change/prepare registration for a given division without stop playing on another division.

I did not try this with the Viscount console yet, but I think it would be easier since on/off stop switching is signalized by single and independent MIDI messages.

If anyone would be interested on the MIDI Bome project that made this possible, private me I would be glad to share it with any intestered people.

organtechnology

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 11:59 pm

Although I am not sure what you are doing, I am curious about the basis for the Rodgers bit mapped piston system.
Do I understand correctly that the Rodgers method takes a long string of bits and creates a NRPN which it sends as a SYSEX command and this SYSEX command is decoded by the Rodgers organ to turn stops on or off depending on whether a certain bit in the series is turned on(1) or off(0)? If so, does there exist a standard map of which stop responds to which bit position?

Thanks,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

mdyde

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 5:22 am

Hello Thomas,

Rodgers organs send and receive long sys-ex messages for their stop states, in which every stop state is sent at once, each as a single bit (i.e. a 'bit-field'). The exact message format and list of stops varies somewhat from model to model. (Hauptwerk has native support for that implementation.) I don't myself know off-hand whether the Roland C-330 and C-380 use the same MIDI implementation, but I would guess that they probably do, given that Rodgers organs were owned by Roland until recently.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

abaymajr

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 5:59 am

organtechnology wrote:Although I am not sure what you are doing, I am curious about the basis for the Rodgers bit mapped piston system.
Do I understand correctly that the Rodgers method takes a long string of bits and creates a NRPN which it sends as a SYSEX command and this SYSEX command is decoded by the Rodgers organ to turn stops on or off depending on whether a certain bit in the series is turned on(1) or off(0)? If so, does there exist a standard map of which stop responds to which bit position?

Thanks,

Thomas

What I have implemented with BOME MIDI Translator was a "drawknob routing", analogous to the floating division feature Hauptwerk already provides. BOME MT intercepts sysex messages coming from the Roland console and, if they regard to bitmap stop states (based on a known mask), BOME separates their bit states from bytes, stores their stop state values into variables, and according to the "drawknob routing" state, which is controlled by one or two separate drawknobs, multiplexes those stored variables back to a sysex message understandable by Hauptwerk. If the controlling drawknob(s) change(s), BOME does not forward anything to HW, but only recover other button states associated with that selected route. I use additional bytes (used by behind-the-button voice palettes) to control sampleset stop states beyond the quantity of physical drawknob/button I have available on the console. For eventual Hauptwerk interface changes, I also programmed BOME to do the reverse work of sending MIDI messages back to the console, according to the drawknob routing state. There are some details I could also do with BOME's powerful language. If I turn inadvertently on a button not associated with any sampleset stop, BOME sends a message back to the console turning the button immediately off. As those things apply only to samplesets which demand more drawknobs/buttons than I have on my consoles, and as each of them has particular characteristics, I put Hauptwerk to send an specific MIDI message when loading a given sampleset, so BOME could recognize it and turn only the preset associated to that sampleset. When unloading the sampleset, HW also does send a message for BOME preset unloading.

Just to share some ideas. In the case someone interests in doing something similar, I can share in private all the code I have built.
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments