It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

Voicing Adjustments

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

jharmon

Voicing Adjustments

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 4:39 pm

I have little knowledge and no experience creating sample sets or modifications. One thing I've noticed with my collection of sample sets that invariably the division requiring the most adjustment is the pedal division. This seems true reardless of the source of the sample sets. Is the pedal division more difficult to sample and refine, and if so, why?

mnailor

Re: Voicing Adjustments

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 5:25 pm

I find that, too, but I think it's because my subwoofer and lower group of full range speakers were balanced against my middle and upperwork audio groups using a few SP samples such as Caen, St. Omer, and Rotterdam.. Then I found that Lavender and Milan seem to have much higher bass levels, while OAM has lower bass levels, so I have to change rank levels on some of the 16 and 32 foot stops including manual 16s to avoid unbalanced sound.

I only have 3-4 samplesets from each except SP, so not a comprehensive survey, but so far the bass levels seem to differ more between producers than between their organs. So maybe a microphone choice or placement, or an editing preference.

csw900

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 2:24 pm

I suspect at least some of the problems here are due to there being no standard for organ
sound levels so each supplier has to make his/her own judgements.

Room resonances will affect relative sound levels especially at low frequencies.

Loudspeakers, especially sub-woofers will have their own resonances as well.

All this adds up to the glorious mess which is part of the fun and adds to the
character of each virtual pipe organ.

csw900

engrssc

PostMon Dec 12, 2016 6:37 pm

Don't quote me, but some where I read the voicing of the restored Christ Cathedral (formerly the Crystal Cathedral) Hazel Wright organ will take 40 weeks to voice. That is shy of a year. Interesting, this organ as large as it is does include virtual (digital) stops which will be updated to the "latest technology". Reason for these was given as there wasn't enough room in the chambers for them.

And some of us don't have enough room for all th virtual stops we would like to have either. :cry:

Rgds,
Ed

TheOrganDoc

PostMon Dec 12, 2016 8:38 pm

The Factory Voicer adjusts each Pipe to make it speak properly, Keeping in mind the location where the pipes are to be installed !

The Tonal Finisher, sits at the console, after installation, and tells an Expert Organ Mechanic, working on the pipes, Exactly how he wants each pipe to sound in the Hall,
then he sits in various locations within the hall and Listens carefully, and tells the mechanic every adjustment that is needed !

The Tonal Finisher, Is the person responsible for the Final Resulting Tonal Quality of the Organ
in the hall
!

Without both of these Experts,
the Organ will never sound it's Best ! ! !
Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Return to Hauptwerk instruments