It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:49 am

Coming soon: 1983 Schantz, St. Philip's ELCA, Fridley, MN

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

giwro

Re: Coming soon: 1983 Schantz, St. Philip's ELCA, Fridley, M

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 8:00 pm

johnstump_organist wrote:On the screen shot of stops, the 32 Fagot and Gt 8 Krumhorn borrow are down with flue stops. Is by design or some particular reason?
John

I did it because they are outside the original stoplist...
So far only you and one beta tester have mentioned it. I suppose I could move them to a more "normal" spot, but the purist in me wants to acknowledge that they are my addition...

[chuckle]
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

giwro

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 8:03 pm

jwillans wrote:Hi Jonathan - Looking forward to hearing this instrument, do you anticipate making dual portrait stop jambs available?

I really hadn't thought about that too much.... It's not something I've chosen to do in past sets. Certainly if it is going to happen, it won't come until later in an update, along with the crescendo pedal.

Best,
Jonathan Orwig

giwro

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 8:16 pm

profeluisegarcia wrote:Hello¡
Does this Schantz organ represents American Classic Organ as well has Skinner`s (D. Harrison) organs do? I`d like to get an organ belonging to this tradition. And hope this Schantz be one of them and more reverberant than SP´s Skinner.
Luis

Well, as Carson says above, Æolian-Skinner is sort of considered the "gold standard" of American Classic sound. However, "no todo lo que brilla es oro" ... Schantz has made some very fine organs, and this one in particular represents the genre very well, I think.

Finally, I know many people love the big gorgeous acoustics - again, as Carson has mentioned, we don't have much of that in the USA, and especially in the case of the American Classic. That era saw a lot of either smaller, dead rooms, or larger rooms that were handicapped with the Guastavino acoustic tile fiasco.
Jonathan Orwig

CarsonCooman

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 8:21 pm

giwro wrote:Finally, I know many people love the big gorgeous acoustics - again, as Carson has mentioned, we don't have much of that in the USA, and especially in the case of the American Classic. That era saw a lot of either smaller, dead rooms, or larger rooms that were handicapped with the Guastavino acoustic tile fiasco.

Another thing to note is that part of the success of the American Classic voicing and building aesthetic actually is its suitability for dry and medium dry rooms and its ability to overcome the acoustic challenges of some of these spaces to produce good musical results. Of course there are such instruments in wet rooms in certain places, but they aren't the norm in the USA in that era, and so to be seeking an American Classic instrument in a big, rolling wet room is not really in keeping with where the majority of such organs actually reside (or were designed to reside).

engrssc

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 8:50 pm

I mentioned above regarding the State Trompete 8' appearing on the Choir and Great being the same rank. Assume it is not under expression as are the other Choir ranks. I played an organ recently where this existed, with the Choir stops all being relatively soft and grabbing a handful to "slightly" increase the Choir accidentally grabbed something like a Trompette en Chamade (I think). Sure got everyone's attention including mine. I didn't realize it was there along with the Choir ranks which were under expression. :oops: :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

giwro

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 11:43 pm

Jonathan Orwig

jwillans

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 7:41 am

giwro wrote:
jwillans wrote:Hi Jonathan - Looking forward to hearing this instrument, do you anticipate making dual portrait stop jambs available?

I really hadn't thought about that too much.... It's not something I've chosen to do in past sets. Certainly if it is going to happen, it won't come until later in an update, along with the crescendo pedal.

Jonathan - I think for me this may influence the purchase of any sample set. I have portrait touch screens and being able to use these, particularly with photo realistic jambs, is as important for me as the sound quality of the sample set. Perhaps I am an anomaly in this respect, but I suspect not!

ArnoldOrgans

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 11:56 am

My 2 cents on the American Classic discussion.

Being Sub dean of the local AGO and fairly active in local organ events gives me the "opportunity" to hear much discussion of what an American Classic should be. I think the main must haves are a " good American sound", flexibility/ease of use and name known for good organs. Keeping this in mind I would say the Schantz fits quite well.
Matt Arnold
http://www.customorganworks.com
info@customorganworks.com
Authorized reseller of Hauptwerk, Milan Digital Audio, Inspired Acoustics, CLR Resources and Sonus Paradisi.

johnstump_organist

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 2:06 pm

giwro wrote:I did it because they are outside the original stoplist...
So far only you and one beta tester have mentioned it. I suppose I could move them to a more "normal" spot, but the purist in me wants to acknowledge that they are my addition...

[chuckle]

There is a certain logic to your reason. Having the two 32's side-by-side also makes a certain amount of sense. I was just curious. Any chance of a stop screen without keyboards or pistons so that each stop could have more real estate on the screen?
John

giwro

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 10:27 am

jwillans wrote:Jonathan - I think for me this may influence the purchase of any sample set. I have portrait touch screens and being able to use these, particularly with photo realistic jambs, is as important for me as the sound quality of the sample set. Perhaps I am an anomaly in this respect, but I suspect not!

I wouldn't say you're an anomaly, in my experience a certain number of folks really want the "eye candy" of graphics, those with dual screens often want separate jambs. I think that is fun, but for me the two most important things are how it sounds and if I can easily navigate the interface. Some of the really cool GUI photorealistic interfaces are a bear to navigate, and I just want to play the music.

That said, I will see what can be done about the LR jambs - I can definitely see a real reason for those. This being the week before Christmas, I doubt that will happen before the release, I simply don't have the time (I'm a full time church musician in my day job). Certainly I will consider doing it as a free update, however.
Jonathan Orwig

giwro

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 10:31 am

johnstump_organist wrote: There is a certain logic to your reason. Having the two 32's side-by-side also makes a certain amount of sense. I was just curious. Any chance of a stop screen without keyboards or pistons so that each stop could have more real estate on the screen?
John

Well, I've had a couple other folks make the same comment that you did about placement - it is an easy change, so I went ahead and did it - you can take a look.

As I mentioned above, I am willing to consider the 2 LR jambs as an update - I suppose a 4th stops-only screen is possible, too.
Jonathan Orwig

telemanr

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 10:41 am

I'd also like 2 portrait jambs. So of course I'm sure that will become a priority.
Looking forward to getting this organ.
Rob Enns

sonar11

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 12:21 pm

I'm debating purchasing this, will make final call on that once there are more demos.

But a definite deal breaker is the 2 channels. On your site you dicuss this, and I realize there is little reverb, but surround sound channels are not for reverb, they are for adding double the sampled sound output (a rear 8't flute C and a front 8't flute C then get 2 different wav files from 2 unique recordings) and for immersing you in sound. I can see that a slider/perspective mixer is pointless, but not surround. Just my opinion.

giwro

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 1:52 pm

sonar11 wrote:I'm debating purchasing this, will make final call on that once there are more demos.

But a definite deal breaker is the 2 channels. On your site you dicuss this, and I realize there is little reverb, but surround sound channels are not for reverb, they are for adding double the sampled sound output (a rear 8't flute C and a front 8't flute C then get 2 different wav files from 2 unique recordings) and for immersing you in sound. I can see that a slider/perspective mixer is pointless, but not surround. Just my opinion.

The problem is, there really wasn't any discernible gain to be had - I have some surround sets, so I know the "feel" you get from that.... you really do't get that "feel" - all it did was add some reverb. You might still disagree, and that is OK - you are certainly welcome to your convictions 8) My call was that it simply wasn't worth double the work and time - the difference wasn't enough to convince me. I've priced it lower than I would if it were surround in deference to that fact.

Now, having said that, I do have a couple of projects I'm negotiating that have much more live acoustics, and hence would do surround on those, for sure.
Jonathan Orwig

1961TC4ME

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 11:43 pm

Honestly, with a set that has as short a reverb as this one I can see the reasoning to not produce a surround set. And also honestly, if you set up a separate instance of Hauptwerk for 2- channel sets like this and go mixdown to your back channels, you will get 99.9% of the benefits of surround, will save many GB of memory, and you honestly won't be able to tell the difference.

* Honestly * Reviewing my post here, perhaps that's the 'word of the day.' :mrgreen:

Marc
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments