It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 am

Coming soon: 1983 Schantz, St. Philip's ELCA, Fridley, MN

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

giwro

Coming soon: 1983 Schantz, St. Philip's ELCA, Fridley, MN

PostSun Dec 18, 2016 9:20 pm

Greetings everyone.

We've been hard at work on our latest set, the 3m 50-stop 1983 Schantz from St. Philip's ELCA in Fridley, Minnesota, USA. Since the forum will be closing soon for the holidays, I wanted to get the announcement out there.

The organ is sampled in 24-bit 48kHz stereo, in a moderately live acoustic (2~2.5 sec.), and is a clear and articulate example of American organbuilding.

Stop by http://www.evensongmusic.net/?page_id=2260 for the stoplist and some photos. Audio demos will appear shortly on the website as well as Contrebombarde.

It is my intention to get this released before the end of 2016, maybe even this week (depending on the responses of the beta team). There will be a special introductory price for the first month of $175.

Best holiday wishes to all!
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

telemanr

Re: Coming soon: 1983 Schantz, St. Philip's ELCA, Fridley, M

PostSun Dec 18, 2016 11:12 pm

In the Great stop list you have both Diapason 8 and Princial 8 but the stop panel shows no
Diapason 8.
Just wondering which is correct.
Rob Enns

engrssc

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 12:54 am

Quite a Pedal stop list. Question - is the State Trompete 8' appearing on the Choir and Great the same rank? Overall, looks impressive, waiting to hear demos.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArnoldOrgans

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 9:31 am

We have known about this organ for a little while now and have been able to hear some recordings and get the beta set. In testing I decided the sound was so good we would build a demo institutional console just for the St. Philip's. The only problem I see with this sample set is the fact my ears will no longer allow me to use the organ it will replace.
Matt Arnold
http://www.customorganworks.com
info@customorganworks.com
Authorized reseller of Hauptwerk, Milan Digital Audio, Inspired Acoustics, CLR Resources and Sonus Paradisi.

giwro

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 10:41 am

telemanr wrote:In the Great stop list you have both Diapason 8 and Princial 8 but the stop panel shows no
Diapason 8.
Just wondering which is correct.

Oops...

Principal 8'.

Thanks for the proofreading!
Jonathan Orwig

giwro

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 10:47 am

engrssc wrote:Quite a Pedal stop list. Question - is the State Trompete 8' appearing on the Choir and Swell the same rank? Overall, looks impressive, waiting to hear demos.

Rgds,
Ed

The State Trompete 8 is on both the GT (its parent division) and the CHOIR. In the real organ, it doesn't couple through on the choir - we are trying to find a way to emulate that.
Jonathan Orwig

giwro

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 12:18 pm

ArnoldOrgans wrote:We have known about this organ for a little while now and have been able to hear some recordings and get the beta set. In testing I decided the sound was so good we would build a demo institutional console just for the St. Philip's. The only problem I see with this sample set is the fact my ears will no longer allow me to use the organ it will replace.

Thanks for the kind words, Matt!

For those of you looking for a console, pedals, etc, Matt does fabulous work, and his prices are very fair... Have a look!

If I may be so bold to say so, this sample set is the first of what will be a significant advance in the quality of our offerings for HW. The FBR set has been a great seller, and in its day was a wonderful way to get a flexible 3m American Classic spec at a very reasonable price. It was, in all honesty, my first sampling venture, and as such I was "learning as I went". The 16-bit samples, old noise-reduction scheme, etc are simply not viable in this era when quality has risen so high. The Wangerin was a large step forward in noise reduction quality as well as 24-bit sampling, but the organ is admittedly a niche style, and was in very poor shape. Now, I have gotten much better and faster at the task, as well as learned a lot about recording in the 12 years since I did FBR.

I'll try to get some demos up today - I think you will be pleased!
Jonathan Orwig

deftech

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 2:51 pm

I'm looking forward to this new Schantz organ. I have enjoyed the FBR Schantz so much. The first pipe organ I heard as a child was a Schantz and I have loved that sound ever since.

Tweedle_Dee

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Thank you for making a dry version available as I may be interested in it. Have you set a price for it yet?

jwillans

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi Jonathan - Looking forward to hearing this instrument, do you anticipate making dual portrait stop jambs available?

giwro

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 5:17 pm

deftech wrote:I'm looking forward to this new Schantz organ. I have enjoyed the FBR Schantz so much. The first pipe organ I heard as a child was a Schantz and I have loved that sound ever since.

I think you will enjoy this one, too. Glad you have been pleased with FBR - it has brought a lot of joy to many people over the years.
Jonathan Orwig

giwro

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Tweedle_Dee wrote:Thank you for making a dry version available as I may be interested in it. Have you set a price for it yet?

You are very welcome. The dry is only available by special arrangement to either organbuilders for public installation, or those with significant experience in using added reverb - you can contact me at jorwig (at) evensongmusic (dot) net and I can give further details, order link, etc.
Jonathan Orwig

johnstump_organist

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 5:30 pm

On the screen shot of stops, the 32 Fagot and Gt 8 Krumhorn borrow are down with flue stops. Is by design or some particular reason?
John

profeluisegarcia

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 6:17 pm

Hello¡
Does this Schantz organ represents American Classic Organ as well has Skinner`s (D. Harrison) organs do? I`d like to get an organ belonging to this tradition. And hope this Schantz be one of them and more reverberant than SP´s Skinner.
Luis

CarsonCooman

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 6:44 pm

profeluisegarcia wrote:Does this Schantz organ represents American Classic Organ as well has Skinner`s (D. Harrison) organs do? I`d like to get an organ belonging to this tradition. And hope this Schantz be one of them and more reverberant than SP´s Skinner.

Based on what Jonathan has said above, the reverberation would seem to be similar (the SP Aeolian-Skinner has about 2-2.5 seconds of reverb as well). The vast majority of American churches are dry in this fashion when compared to European rooms.

In terms of an instrument representing the American Classic style, it is a matter of varied opinion as to what one specifically prefers. Most people would consider a good Harrison-era Aeolian-Skinner to be a significantly higher-end instrument than one built by Schantz, though of course both strong and mediocre instruments were built by both companies. (Note that the Sonus Paradisi Aeolian-Skinner is not a Harrison era organ, but a Whiteford era one.)
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments