It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 am

Cavaille Coll

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

atugores

Cavaille Coll

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 5:40 am

Hello to all of you, I'm on the way to buy a new instrument and I would like a Cavaillé-Coll, the are three options, The MDA and SP both quite expensive for my budget at the moment, and the other one is OAM Ducroquet-Cavaillé-Coll - Aix-en-Provence, it looks good and it sounds good but I don't know this instrument, the price is quite confortable, I would appreciate if you can give me your opinion on those instruments, thank you in advance.

scottherbert

Re: Cavaille Coll

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 10:07 am

Hi atugores. Please be aware that the Ducroquet from OAM is only Hauptwerk v.2, and while it sounds nice, it doesn't have all the features available to v.3 or v.4 sample sets!!!

Did you look at the St Omer from SP? It is CC organ that is just a little more than the Ducroquet, but not as much as the Caen or the Metz. Also, on the site PCorgan there is a list of sample sets available from all producers, including a separate listing for free sets. Forum member josq has one on there called "Composite Cavaille Coll organ" that is quite good, and free!

Good luck on your search,
~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 10:09 am

Please also have a look at our smaller St. Eucaire C-C if you're looking for something quite affordable that still packs a punch:

https://www.milandigitalaudio.com/instr ... nstruments
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Daniel Dries

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 12:02 am

St Eucaire is a beautiful and vibrant set, although 2 manuals is rather limiting for most of the French repertoire. It is certainly a high quality set and very good value for money.

I also have Caen and St Omer. Caen is stunning, but it does seem rather distant, especially when learning repertoire. I am increasingly excited by St Omer. It is more direct that Caen, and is absolutely full of character. Thanks to Hauptwerk's brilliant master couplers and combinations, it can be made very user friendly. It is an early Cavaille-Coll, which makes it absolutely stunning for Franck. However, a little voicing modification makes is very suitable for later repertoire. I think St Omer is also good value for money, and greatly under-rated.

jcwall

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 2:27 am

I have Caen, St Eucaire and St. Omer and am happy with all of them for different reasons. The Caen extensions provide great flexibility and a formidable ensemble and St Eucaire has some wonderfully characterful stops. These are all wonderful instruments, but I would take St. Omer to my 'desert island' because of its uniform excellence throughout which seems to get exactly the right balance between the telling character of individual stops and the ensemble(s).

adri

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 1:37 pm

I like St. Omer too, but regret that the Bombarde 16' on the uppermost manual doesn't go down to low C, but starts at tenor c.

Randall Mullin

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 5:06 pm

I am still very impressed with OAM Ducroquet-Cavaillé-Coll - Aix-en-Provence. It has a wonderful acoustic and the sound is not too distant. (It also has an enclosed Positif.)
Randall Mullin
Hauptwerk 4/Classic MidiWorks tutorial (http://www.randallmullin.com/Hauptwerk%20Experience.pdf)

atugores

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks to all of you for your excellent opinions, I have a difficult choice, in fact I have the Eucarie cavaille coll, I think is a very sweet organ buy for me is a little poor in sound when I try to play something like liszt for instance, and I think the registers are also poor by itself, what I mean is If the two keyboards are not coupled adding some anches recit, for me the sound is poor, but this is my opinion, maybe if I use it more i change this sensation, any way I have a quite difficult choice as I said, anyway Thanks all of you .

Return to Hauptwerk instruments