It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 am

Convincing sample sets for stereo speakers?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

dfuchs

Convincing sample sets for stereo speakers?

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 12:04 pm

I have only a modest two-speaker setup, and most organs or free trial packages I've tried sound excellent via headphones but when I turn on my speakers, the impression turns pathetic. I guess the fault is not in my speakers, although they are not really high-end (ESI nEar08 studio monitors), but in the fact that two speakers can never truly reproduce the sound field an organ creates inside a church. Some implications of the problem have been discussed here: http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11422.

I guess the best choice for a 'realistic' sound in my case (one that makes me feel like I'm playing a real organ) would be a small chamber organ. However, I need a certain variety when I practice, e.g. a strong 4' principal or similar for pedal cantus firmus, at least via coupler from the 2nd manual. The best sample sets I've found so far to meet these requirements are Magnuskerk Anloo and Ménestérol semi-dry.

Which sample sets have you found suitable for convincing reproduction through stereo speakers? I'm mainly looking for two-manual German or Dutch Baroque organs, although I have no special preference as to the builder.
There's nothing special about it. You only have to hit the right note at the right time, then the instrument will play all on its own. -- Bach

mnailor

Re: Convincing sample sets for stereo speakers?

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 12:14 pm

I'd consider MDA Rotha Silbermann, the larger one, and MDA Cappel Schnitger. Lavender Audio South Suffolk is also in a small acoustic, if you'd also like an English organ.

lefranc22

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 12:57 pm

You can try the Grenzing of Geneva: shareware by Augustine's Virtual Organs and AOEV. Its a 2 keyboards + P almost dry sample-set.
http://02.hauptwerk-augustine.info/Grenzing-Geneva-History/

bourdon

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 1:57 pm

I'd suggest , without hesitation for german or dutch organs, according to your wish :
- Steinkirchen ( OAM)
- Rotterdam transept ( SP)
- Or, if you wish bigger :Stade ( OAM).

dfuchs

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 7:34 am

Thanks for your suggestions. Rotterdam Transept sounds absolutely beautiful and has made it to the top of my wish list. However, it might be a good idea to get HW Advanced Edition first. While experimenting with its voicing screen in evaluation mode, I've found that broadening your stereo base by moving pipe positions further left or right contributes to the kind of 'realistic' impression I want, and the EQ can help mimic a near-field listening position. After all, I want the organ bench perspective when I play via speakers, just with the imbalance between divisions (and reeds vs. flues) levelled out a bit. Everything else doesn't seem to sound right in my living room. It's a different matter on headphones, of course.
There's nothing special about it. You only have to hit the right note at the right time, then the instrument will play all on its own. -- Bach

murph

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Some suggestions:
Have a play with Goerlitz. If you send the dry front ONLY, or at a 90/10 with dry/wet front to your speakers, it's quite like what you like. Very dry, immediate sound with wide stereo seperation.
(Although, get rears and try Menestrol moist/surround. ROCKS!!!!!!!!)

Some of the other SP 6-ch sets can be similar, but are not as closely recorded as you might prefer.

You might also be ok with the SO Studio sets, try and see... (the 60 is a good starting point. It, aswell as the Lavender Hereford and Armsley, give a reasonable impression of sitting at the console. HOWEVER, if you are only familliar with small trackers, they will not seem correct to you. If you have played larger TP/EP instruments, you will feel at home.)

What should definitely be on your radar is the SP Claviorganum set. Very "in your face", in a good way. And CHEAP!!!!

Return to Hauptwerk instruments