It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:30 pm

Rotterdam Transept Organ

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

b.natural

Rotterdam Transept Organ

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 8:16 am

Hello. I need some advice as to whether to buy the Wet or the Surround version of this instrument.

What is the reverberation time of each set?

Can I use the sliders to alter the reverberation on the Wet version?

Is the sampling on one version done as carefully done as the other?

Which version sounds better?

Thanks.

sonar11

Re: Rotterdam Transept Organ

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 9:10 am

I bought the surround and play it every day; it's been my main organ for quite some time (year? 2 years? I've lost count).

This organ is the clearest I've heard in a HW sample. You can have a very dry sound with the surround by moving the faders down. It can also sound quite reverberant when you move the faders back up. It's small enough (in terms of ranks) to be nimble and precise, and also large enough to offer variety. This organ is right in my sweet spot for sample size and acoustics.

It's not perfect, I find one of the 2 tremulants to be "too fast" (but this is a problem on the real organ, not a flaw in the sample itself), and a few other minor quibbles, but I highly recommend it.

1961TC4ME

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 11:00 am

Although I don't own this organ I do own a few others from SP so will just throw in my 2-1/2 cents worth.

Unless you only have a stereo pair of speakers OR you use headphones and do not plan to go any further with your audio arrangement, then the wet version is all you need, otherwise I'd go 'surround' every time.

Marc

jkinkennon

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 11:17 am

It is my understanding that the surround version is needed to get the slider adjustment between "moist" and "diffuse". My suggestion is to spend the extra amount for the surround feature for this flexibility. Some rooms seem do demand surround while others don't. I don't feel I quite understand why this is the case but it seems to be true. With or without surround, the slider to control the mix of two front channel between moist and diffuse make these latest Sonus Paradisi sample sets extremely flexible and adaptable to different spaces.

sonar11

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 11:43 am

jkinkennon wrote:It is my understanding that the surround version is needed to get the slider adjustment between "moist" and "diffuse". My suggestion is to spend the extra amount for the surround feature for this flexibility. Some rooms seem do demand surround while others don't. I don't feel I quite understand why this is the case but it seems to be true. With or without surround, the slider to control the mix of two front channel between moist and diffuse make these latest Sonus Paradisi sample sets extremely flexible and adaptable to different spaces.

Yes that's correct; the wet is only 2 channels, has no perspective fader, and it's missing a tremulant, and blower + tracker noise if that's your thing.

Here is the page describing the differences (click on the "Features" tab):
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/major-european-schools/rotterdam-laurenskerk-transept-organ-a.html

Return to Hauptwerk instruments