It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

French Classical Orgn

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Re: French Classical Orgn

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 2:51 pm

David Baldwin wrote:I have listened to most of those organs recommended above. I have to admit that I believe that the St Maxim has what I believe to be the most authentic classical French sound.
I have downloaded the demonstration sets where available and fiddled with them.
I use my screens in portrait mode and if the VPO has appropriate jambs then my screens are pretty well filled. The St Maxim screens are themselves rotated on my screens. Looking at the pictures in the SP site, their portrait screens are shown but the selection options are on the sides. It would seem that you have to normally have your screen in landscape, select the option you require and then physically rotate your screen. That is not for me. Back to reviewing my options.

Hello David,

If you go with the St. Maximum set you get both the original and extended version and like myself, you would probably prefer the extended version anyways over the original version, more so for it's ease of use, the added coupling options it has, the independent pedal division vs. borrowed, but more importantly the entire console and stops are visible on one screen if you so desire. Also, I'd have to do a bit of digging, but I believe someone here on the forum has developed and is offering separate left and right portrait stop jambs for the St. Max extended version, so all your bases should then be covered. I've used the original version from time to time for authenticity's sake, but it's a bit more difficult to use and I much prefer using the extended version instead where there's much more flexibility. The demo you've downloaded only shows the original version screens (no extended version) and honestly there's not much there in the way of available stops to base a decision on other than being able to hear the wonderful acoustic of the instrument of those given stops.

Update: Here's the stop jambs in question for the St. Max extended >>> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14874

Marc

David Baldwin

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 1:20 pm

Hello Marc
Thanks for your help. I have looked at the ODF to which referred and been in contact with the person who wrote it. He assures me that his version does exactly what I want (and others). I am therefore downloading St Max this very instant and hope to have it running this evening. I will let you know how it goes. I am quite excited about it.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

1961TC4ME

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 1:29 pm

David Baldwin wrote:Hello Marc
Thanks for your help. I have looked at the ODF to which referred and been in contact with the person who wrote it. He assures me that his version does exactly what I want (and others). I am therefore downloading St Max this very instant and hope to have it running this evening. I will let you know how it goes. I am quite excited about it.

Hello David,
You are very welcome, glad I could point you in the right direction! You have good reason to be excited, it is a very fine set and I'm sure like myself, you also will get many hours of enjoyment with the St. Max set. I had a go with it for an hour this morning, as I do every morning (great way to start your day! :D) and usually get a second chance most evenings. I never tire of it and is still my favorite set.

Keep us posted on what you think, and enjoy!

Marc

adri

David Baldwin

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 4:09 am

Yes, I have this. Marc pointed me in that direction when I was considering not buying.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments