It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

Piano Sample sets for Hauptwerk

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

BakerTed

Piano Sample sets for Hauptwerk

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 3:10 pm

I am looking for any good piano sample sets to use with one of my 61 key keyboard midi controllers on my Hauptwerk setup. Does anyone know of any?

mdyde

Re: Piano Sample sets for Hauptwerk

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 3:17 pm

Hello BakerTed,

Welcome to the forum.

There are no dedicated piano sample sets for Hauptwerk currently (Hauptwerk isn't best-suited to modelling pianos), although some of the Hauptwerk theatre organ sample sets do have piano stops.

Here are some other topics with more details and suggestions:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12466
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14117
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15746
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ernst

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 11:20 pm

I use the following virtual pianos, all from VILabs (https://www.vilabsaudio.com/):
- True Keys : Italian Grand (Fazioli F308)
- True Keys : German Grand (Bechstein semi-concert grand)
- Ravenscroft 275

I like the Ravenscroft best, very impressive, and the Fazioli second, also a very beautiful grand piano.
I have tried a few suppliers, and the VI Labs samples gave me the most authentic impression.

Ernst

TheOrganDoc

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 3:21 pm

I Enjoy my Vi Labs Pianos, almost as much as my HW Organs ! :D
( I Midi Bootstrapped the VI labs pianos to the Piano on my P332 ! )
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

atugores

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 8:43 am

Do you mean the VILabs piano sample can be use with HW like other organ sample does?, thanks

TheOrganDoc

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Hello Atu- and Baker Ted,

No not !
After purchasing Vi's sample set I contacted their customer service department, they assisted me in downloading and Installing their (UVI Program, and its Virtual Dongle) Their Piano would then Play from my desktop. I then asked a well known Hauptwerk Artiste, how to get the Piano to play with Hauptwerk's sample sets, he told me to download and install, a Virtual Midi link, after I did that, I was able to use that link, to tie the (Piano Midi Output from my P-332),( to My "Vi Piano sample sets " Midi Input" using my Midi channel 12") !

I was then able to assign the Audio Outputs, from the Piano Sample Set to a pair of inputs on my multi-channel sound board !
The piano plays along with my P 332's;s Piano, from all my Piano Stop Tablets at all their proper pitches, and responds to Sub and Super Coupler's also!

This has been most enjoyable for me, for more than 5 years !

I am utilizing my own design of Optical switching on all of my keys and pedals,
My only problem, is that My Midi encoder outputs, no touch information, and since the Piano has I believe 21 levels of touch control,
I will in the future, install a new keyboard Midi scanner, which has "Touch control", and should then hopefully add touch sensitivity to my Piano !
TPO builders never had touch sensitivity on their Piano's anyway, but probably would have if they could have !

Best wishes, Mel
(R S V P)

atugores wrote:Do you mean the VILabs piano sample can be use with HW like other organ sample does?, thanks
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

jkinkennon

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 2:29 pm

One of the best features of a Hauptwerk project is that one never need consider it finished. My new console has four velocity sensitive Roland keyboards with the "ivory-like feel". Each row of pistons contain one or more pistons labelled 'User MIDI II B' as one example. One of the ongoing projects is to procure or develop an encoder for one or more of the keyboards that will handle velocity.

If I do the encoder myself I will include the MIDI routing in the encoder design. Otherwise it will be an adaption of one of the Midi Boutique encoders with switching in Reaper (I think).

I'm especially wanting a manual with piano, likely Vi Labs based on the reviews here, but also connecting to chimes, marimba, and other sounds. I can't say that I've used any electronic keyboard, weighted or not, that felt right for piano, but it would still be a nice addition. Other synth sounds could be interesting as well, and it's always possible to just not use these features for the normal classical organ experience.

organsRgreat

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 4:31 pm

To BakerTed and Mel: It's quite easy to set up a VST piano in Reaper, and get the piano to work with Hauptwerk. You'd probably need to set Hauptwerk to produce a MIDI signal from one of its outputs – then Reaper will pick up that signal. Any other DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) should be able to do this too. Rather confusingly Reaper treats VST plug-ins as “Effects” (FX).

To jkinkennon: Does that mean Roland have produced a keyboard with proper organ-type pistons – or did you add them yourself?

engrssc

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 2:28 am

jkinkennon wrote:
If I do the encoder myself I will include the MIDI routing in the encoder design. Otherwise it will be an adaption of one of the Midi Boutique encoders with switching in Reaper (I think).

I'm especially wanting a manual with piano, likely Vi Labs based on the reviews here, but also connecting to chimes, marimba, and other sounds. I can't say that I've used any electronic keyboard, weighted or not, that felt right for piano, but it would still be a nice addition. Other synth sounds could be interesting as well, and it's always possible to just not use these features for the normal classical organ experience.

One problem (for me) is the contact arrangement. That is, the first contact (as you press a key) switches at 10% (of the key travel) while the second switching at 80& (of the travel) Some folks parallel the 2 contacts for normal (non touch response) playing which makes the keyboard very sensitive (switching on at 10% of the key travel). There needs to be a method to "disconnect/disable" the first (10%) contact and only use the second (lower @ 80% of travel contact for normal organ playing.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 1:28 pm

To jkinkennon: Does that mean Roland have produced a keyboard with proper organ-type pistons – or did you add them yourself?

These are Roland keyboards from a Rodgers prototype for one of their current models. The pistons assemblies use circuit boards that are similar to the ones for the rocker style stops. I don't know if these assemblies are from Rodgers (Roland vintage) or from the new Rodgers owner, Johannus. The pistons are lighted and seem to work well. I had to reverse engineer an unusually complex SPI circuit to get the stops and pistons working.

engrssc wrote:One problem (for me) is the contact arrangement. That is, the first contact (as you press a key) switches at 10% (of the key travel) while the second switching at 80& (of the travel) Some folks parallel the 2 contacts for normal (non touch response) playing which makes the keyboard very sensitive (switching on at 10% of the key travel). There needs to be a method to "disconnect/disable" the first (10%) contact and only use the second (lower @ 80% of travel contact for normal organ playing.

I agree. I had initially built adapter boards that used the top contact, but with actual playing I find that I sometimes drop a finger on a note that I don't intend to play. So I'll be switching to the lower contact or perhaps do the velocity sensing work sooner than I had planned. It had been my intention to wait for a few Microchip library advances (Harmony?!) before using a faster MCU so that I was comfortable tackling the multiple keyboard velocity project on a single encoder board. The quick fix is a simple adjustment of traces on the adapter board I have already built.

engrssc

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 12:21 pm

Return to Hauptwerk instruments