It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

Can you make a division enclosed?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

musicalmalc

Can you make a division enclosed?

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 5:11 am

Is it possible to change an unenclosed division of a sample set to enclosed ?

Does this have to be done with CODM or is there something in the standard software I haven't found?

mdyde

Re: Can you make a division enclosed?

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 5:27 am

Hello Malcolm,

The only to do that would be to use the Custom Organ Design Module (CODM) to create your own definition with the desired specification -- there's no easy/quick alternative, I'm afraid.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organsRgreat

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 5:03 pm

If you are able to route your divisions to different output channels, and link Hauptwerk to a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) such as Reaper; then some DAWs have a “MIDI learn” function (I know that Reaper does). If you go to the volume control for the channel of the division you want to enclose, and use MIDI learn so that volume is controlled by a swell pedal, that would take care of the volume parameter.

To produce the more subtle effect where an enclosed division loses brightness as the box is closed, it might well be possible to include an EQ (equalisation) effect in the signal line, and MIDI learn one of its parameters to affect brightness at the same time.

A google search for “DAWs with midi learn” brought up over a million results, so there should be plenty of information available if you want to research this approach in more detail. Although I haven't tried this myself, I would imagine that it would achieve the desired result more quickly than by using the CODM; though admittedly the cost of the DAW is a factor. Reaper currently costs $60 for personal use.

engrssc

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 11:48 am

Have given (very slight) thought to building a swell box with real shades. In place of real pipes, installing (real) speakers in it A Hauptwerk member in Ottowa, IL has done this very thing and it is very authentic.

Rgds,
Ed

TheOrganDoc

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 4:11 pm

I will not Counter the very experienced Hauptwerkers, that have replied to you !
But you can set up a selection of ranks, and send them to a separate audio channel, (Mono or stereo) and although I do not like to run Audio through, "A Swell Pedal Pot", and then to a separate amp and speaker it would work :roll:
I would also recommend that you install both a resistor and a capacitor in parallel,
between the grounded end of that swell Pot and audio Ground, to provide a more natural swell effect ! Mel

musicalmalc wrote:Is it possible to change an unenclosed division of a sample set to enclosed ?

Does this have to be done with CODM or is there something in the standard software I haven't found?
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

ppytprs

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 3:00 am

Or, if you contact Jake at Custom Hauptwerk Organs (subbass32 on the forum), he could perhaps modify your sample set for you to enclose the division.

jharmon

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 6:18 am

Jake does excellent work and is very reaonable with cost - but I think his ability to make a modification will depend on the sample set producer.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments