It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 pm

partial sample sets

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

giwro

partial sample sets

PostWed Apr 28, 2004 11:36 am

Since some of you have expressed interest....

It seems that there might be a demand for partial sample sets - I've had some requests for the strings, and recently a nibble or 2 about the reeds on the FBR organ.

Are any of you interested in such a concept? You'd have to write your own definition files, but it would be a cheap way to add voices to an existing set.

I confess I've added some of my stops to martin's St. Anne during my testing, and it has worked very well, as the acoustics of the two rooms are similar.

Cheers,

Jonathan
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

mdyde

PostWed Apr 28, 2004 12:16 pm

It would also be important to consider the overhead of migrating any such organ definition files to version 2. The processs is quite involved since the formats are so completely different, and there is no automatic migration. I don't think any time saving would be made by such an automatic migration in the long run - so much human intervention would be required that I think it is actually much easier and better to migrate them by hand. There are a lot complex parameters to set for new features such as the wind model, which could not be automated sensibly.

I will be working with all sample set producers to ensure that all available sample sets are migrated, but I'm afraid I will only be able to offer limited help with users' modified organ files.

Martin.

Mike 353

partial sample sets

PostWed Apr 28, 2004 4:45 pm

Maybe I'm speaking out of my league, but I substitute samples from one organ to another all the time, just by transfering a stop from one file to another, and it might be possible (and fairly easy) to put in a partial sample set simply by substituting the samples themselves for other samples of the same name. For instance, if you are using the 4' principal on the St. Anne's organ, temporarily move the whole folder somewhere else, and substitute another folder with different 4' principal samples, but give the folder the exact same name. I have not done this, but it seems to me that it is very feasible. I personally want all of your new samples, Jonathan, but there are some other organ sample sets out there, or on the horizon (for instance, the big Skinner at Mr. Carmel), for which I cannot, at this point, justify the outlay for the total package, but would love to buy just some of the samples (hint, hint,). Maybe some of the sample producers might want to consider a system whereby it would be possible to pay for and download only the samples one wants.

Blessings to all,

Mike

giwro

re; substituting

PostWed Apr 28, 2004 5:51 pm

Mike,

While this is easily done in HW 1.xx (substituting) as martin has hinted, it becomes much more complex in version 2. In version 2 the samples for a given organ are cached on first load, and thereafter it is the CACHED set that is loaded. In other words, you can change the original samples all you want, but the cache will be reloaded in its original form....

Also, one can't just go in willy-nilly and change the cached samples, as they are laid down in order in a very specific way - IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong, Martin) one would have to edit the definition file and then force a re-cacheing of that organ in order to affect the change.

Version two is immensely more realistic and powerful for emulation, but the price is a much more complex definition file, and a lot more fiddly stuff needed (AND more patience learning the parameters) in order to make a custom definition.

Best,

giwro
Jonathan Orwig

Mike 353

PostWed Apr 28, 2004 7:51 pm

Jonathan,

Thank you for a prompt reply. As I am fairly new to the computer, as well as Hauptwerk, I have not begun to figure out version 2, and frankly may wait quite a while before I upgrade to it. You computer whizzes are talking about things that are far beyond my understanding at this point. I may eventually go to two hard drives, with version 2 on the second one, as the system that I am using to control Hauptwerk from the console (Artisan) allows the use of two or more hard drives. and put only swell and choir on the second one, to get better tremulants, and some other things: but I am in no hurry to tackle it, and of course can't at this point (no version 2 yet!). I must admit that I am seriously thinking about the possibility of the tibia sound, as I play a lot of gospel music. By the way, I am still anxiously awaiting the debut of your samples!

Blessings on all,

Mike

P. S. My choice at this point would be to take your file, when it is available, and add in some St. Anne's samples-the opposite of what you did!
Last edited by Mike 353 on Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G'day

partial sample sets

PostWed Apr 28, 2004 7:51 pm

Partial samples sets are a great idea, even if difficult to implement in v2. Perhaps sometime in the near future, constructing personalized sets will be as easy as click and drag. I sure hope so.
G'day

giwro

well then...

PostWed Apr 28, 2004 8:24 pm

Since there is a market, I'll offer some of them, I guess...

I think it would be fair to credit what is spent on the partial towards the purchase of the whole set - that way one is not wasting money in getting the samples early.

For those interested in another demo, which better shows the Strings and the SW Trompette:
http://www.blackiris.com/orwig/blin_rosace.mp3
This demo uses some voices from the St. Annes samples (8 and 4' flutes in the first half of the piece) The Strings, Trompete and Pedal Bourdon are all from FBR.

What do you folks think is a fair price, and what samples are you interested in?

Giwro
Jonathan Orwig

G'day

partial sample sets

PostWed Apr 28, 2004 8:52 pm

Jonathan,
Single stops (or small groups of stops) ought to have their own pricing, not pro-rated against the cost of a total set. You don't want to loose the album sale just because the hit's on the single. The customer ought to pay a premium for getting exactly what he wants only - presuming he only wishes to augment his existing set up. Besides, if you are offering to deduct from the total, the customer can't loose. I may not be able to afford a $500 set on a moments notice, but who can't drop twenty-five to fifty bucks on dinner and a movie?
G'day

Return to Hauptwerk instruments