It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

Rotterdam or Esztergom?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

scottherbert

Rotterdam or Esztergom?

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Hello all. Later this year I may be able to get a large sample set. After a lot of deliberation and careful consideration of what I like, I finally narrowed it down to 2 candidates. While I know the final decision is mine, I would like some feedback from those of you that are familiar with both sets.

I am very familiar with Sonus Paradisi and its inherent quality, and have the demo for the Rotterdam. No problems there. The question is with the Inspired Acoustics Esztergom set. I have not downloaded the demo because, frankly, it would take too long unless I was pretty sure it was good. I have downloaded several trial sets from them before and was, to be honest, less than thrilled.

Therefore I ask you, if you have the Esztergom, what is your honest opinion of it, and how does it compare to SP sets? Is it versatile, or quirky like the Matyas?

Thank you for your input,
~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

jerrynazard

Re: Rotterdam or Esztergom?

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 12:12 am

Not really a direct response to your request, but nonetheless something that may interest you. There is a large-scale extension for the Rotterdam instrument in the works being engineered by Jake ("subbas32" on this forum).
Here's a link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15558&p=118438&hilit=rotterdam#p118438

I do not own the Esztergom set, but have had the Rotterdam set for several years. If I could only own one set, it would be Rotterdam.

Best to you!
-Jerry

josq

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 1:35 am

The Esztergom demo doesn't convince me. Rotterdam is one of the best, and many will agree.

Andrew Grahame

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 3:34 am

I downloaded the demo of Esztergom and was somewhat underwhelmed by it. Also, it has a huge acoustic, which can be problematic for clarity. I've not played the full sample set, so I can't comment further. On the strength of the demo, tempered by the price, I chose not to purchase it. I know that many users of this sample set adore it, but I'm not one of them.

I purchased Rotterdam when it was released, and can attest to it being truly outstanding. It's not just large, but immensely versatile. It has it all - clarity, grandeur, colour, dignity, sparkle - and can turn this way and that in what I regard as a convincing fashion. It does lean towards the baroque, but there's still plenty of warmth and power. Full Swell on this instrument is a potent force.

It's interesting that I bought the Rotterdam sample set within days of attending the 40th anniversary recital on the wonderful Von Beckerath organ at the University of Sydney in December 2012. I see remarkable similarities between the two instruments.

Bearing in mind the limits to my thoughts about Esztergom, I would recommend Rotterdam. However, if you don't already have it and your preferred repertoire doesn't require a Swell division, first check out the glorious sounds of the Poblet instrument from Organ Art Media. This amazing instrument retains its clarity in a huge acoustic.

Andrew

ludu

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 4:42 am

Hello scottherbert,

I own both Rotterdam (main) and Esztergom. The two sample sets are wonderful but your choice will depend on what kind of music you play the most. Estzergom is not convincing for baroque music, but it’s possible. On the other hand, Rotterdam is a very bad for the romantic music because of the shift attacks and the disposition.

You also have to know that Esztergom was recorded rather detuned and needs to be corrected with the voicing tool. But after this work, the possibilities of this organ are huge and the interface is very carefully done.
Luc

josq

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 5:11 am

That's actually a very important consideration of course: what type of music do you wish to play? I'm sure Rotterdam can handle much Romantic music quite well, but if you are looking for lots of strings and soft reeds, maybe you want to consider some other sample sets.

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 am

Andrew Grahame wrote:
Bearing in mind the limits to my thoughts about Esztergom, I would recommend Rotterdam. However, if you don't already have it and your preferred repertoire doesn't require a Swell division, first check out the glorious sounds of the Poblet instrument from Organ Art Media. This amazing instrument retains its clarity in a huge acoustic.

Andrew

I had also checked into this instrument as it sounds really good on the demos. I found however that it is only stereo, two channels. Dr. Maier has told me he may offer a surround version, but has not given a date.

Eric

scottherbert

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 11:40 am

Wow, thanks for all the considerate replies! I play an eclectic mix of music, from renaissance to modern, as well as French romantic and Baroque.

I am quite fond of French romantic organs, especially the Caen, but for me it is somewhat limited. I like the mixtures and the principals of the Rotterdam better. I am also aware of Jakes pending expansion of the Rotterdam set, which would make it perfect for my uses. :D

I just wanted to give the Esztergom a fair shot.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

ludu

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 11:44 am

Do you know that Jake has made an extension for Caen too? With more than 100 stops and many mixtures!
Luc

Andrew Grahame

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 7:28 pm

If your repertoire is eclectic then you'll enjoy playing it on the Rotterdam sample set, despite the instrument's limitations in the romantic vein. Everything else you've mentioned would work well.

Andrew
Last edited by Andrew Grahame on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

josq

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 1:41 am

You could consider Goerlitz, it has an extensive Swell that should cater for almost anything you need for romantic music. The other divisions are excellent for Baroque music and many other styles. It comes in 6-channel format. Try the demo.

You wouldn't regret to buy Rotterdam, but I think Goerlitz is a worthy competitor.

Andrew Grahame

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 1:59 am

Regarding the lack of a surround version (as yet) of Poblet, don't let that discourage you. To me it sounds better than some surround sample sets I could think of, and it consumes much less memory.

adri

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 4:08 pm

The Estergom is not just wet; its very wet! Your music will sound quite spacious, like the sostenuto pedal on a grand piano has been left in the on position permanently.

I have the very wet Kampen set, and for certain musics, it's really not transparent enough, even though I love the sound of that organ. Hence, I improvise on it a lot. Or play slower.

Estergom is even wetter. Try the Kampen demo and see if you would like even more wet. Then you're all set.

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 11:20 am

Andrew Grahame wrote:Regarding the lack of a surround version (as yet) of Poblet, don't let that discourage you. To me it sounds better than some surround sample sets I could think of, and it consumes much less memory.

I don't like playing a set without surround. I have a larger room, so I think it makes more of a difference for me. All of my surround sets are Sonus Paradisi, and the sound is excellent.

If I knew the Poblet would have the surround added in the near future, I might buy it before.

Eric

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 pm

Keep Poblet on your list for the future, but get Rotterdam now. No date has been indicated for a surround version of Poblet to my knowledge.

Andrew
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments