It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am

Rotterdam or Esztergom?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Eric Sagmuller

Re: Rotterdam or Esztergom?

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Yes I have planned to get the Rotterdam for some time now. I just have the demo set, but even with that you can do alot. The Poblet would be a strong contender if it had surround. Seems a shame it's not in the works, or at least we don't know if it is. It seems last several sets have the surround, and or vario perspective. With the Poblet so highly spoken of, I'd think it would be strongly considered.

Eric

jharmon

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 7:51 pm

I would not base a decision on the availabilty of surround. I prefer surround and load it when available, but frankly few members have the memory resources to permit loading most of the new sample sets in surround at anything above 16 bit (not recommended by Jiri and others). I recently loaded my non surround wet sets using my rear speakers as a"mix'. The effect, when adjusted, can be close to surround without the memory problems. I have maxed out my Mac pro memory and either must move to a very expensive new computer or utilize the mix down concept. What are others doing?

1961TC4ME

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 9:43 pm

I have used the rear speakers as an additional mix on my non surround sets for a long time and as jharmon points out, properly mixed in with the front speakers is very close to what you get out of an actual surround set. I've always been of the belief that rear speakers be they surround signal or not adds much dimension to the overall sound, even if the set is dry (yes, you read that right, dry). No matter what I'd never be satisfied with just front speakers.

Marc

Eric Sagmuller

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 5:54 am

I use to do this with my Bovenkerk set, adding a bit of extra reverb from a DSP. It did work quite well.

To me however a true surround signal sounds better. It is not a duplicate of the front, at least I can hear that difference.

I have no problem with RAM limitations. I built a new computer last year and have 96 GB.

Eric

scottherbert

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 2:12 pm

I thank you all for your great opinions.

In my simplicity, I had forgotten one of the greatest benefits of Hauptwerk! That is the ability to choose an instrument appropriate to the music being played, rather than having to choose an instrument able to do everything. Since I have a good selection of baroque instruments thanks to my friend Augustine, and I have the Smecno from Sonus Paradisi which excels at renaissance, I believe I will concentrate on getting the Caen.

I know many of you think the Poblet is "the cats pajamas", but, to me, it is excellent for baroque, not romantic. Even the Rotterdam doesn't do it as well as the Caen. And, as pointed out, with Jakes extension it is even more so.

Again, thanks to everyone for their input! :D

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

ludu

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 4:53 pm

That’s an excellent choice!
Luc

murph

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 5:05 pm

ludu wrote:That’s an excellent choice!

+1

Andrew Grahame

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 8:32 pm

For the French symphonic/romantic repertoire you'll find Caen ticks all the boxes - including surround. My suggestion of Poblet was in relation to it being a versatile instrument in an extremely generous acoustic and less expensive that the others on your short list, though clearly it leans heavily towards the baroque and lacks a swell division. You'll find lots of colour to explore with Caen - you won't be in the least disappointed with it as long as you choose the right repertoire.

Andrew
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments