It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

Giubiasco - new free sample set

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

sesquialtera

Re: Giubiasco - new free sample set

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 4:45 am

Hello
This sample set is good, and I like it a lot, however, I've noticed a little defect.
Playing the regale, the central "d" has a trange behavior on long note.
It's not really an issue, I like this kind of imperfections, it makes the sound more realistic.

puciak

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 8:48 am

sesquialtera wrote:Hello
This sample set is good, and I like it a lot, however, I've noticed a little defect.
Playing the regale, the central "d" has a trange behavior on long note.
It's not really an issue, I like this kind of imperfections, it makes the sound more realistic.

I'm sure there are more such deffects, especially on reeds. This could be replaced, but maybe it is not really necessary.
Piotr Grabowski - Virtual Pipe Organ Sample Sets
https://piotrgrabowski.pl

Rauschpfeife

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 9:46 am

I realize I'm digging up an old post here, but I wanted to register my appreciation of this sample set which I discovered last Friday. (I hope to be able to follow up this post with a proper appreciation after Christmas if Santa is kind.)

I read the comments above with interest and whilst they're true, I feel they miss the point somewhat. The Giubiasco set offers all the resources required (a "nightingale" stop perhaps notwithstanding) to faithfully perform (conceivably) any Italian repertoire from 1450 to the present day.

The organ has the complete, small-scaled principal chorus to form the ripieno. The reeds are of the softly-voiced tromboncino-type, perfectly appropriate for Cavazzoni, Frescobaldi, et al. The full complement of flutes on the main manual for piano playing and the Voce Umana (for the 3-time movements in Frescobaldi) complete everything required for the performance of the baroque.

But there is more! Folk imply that it is of limited disposition, but an instrument of this size would have been the biggest in Italy in 1650! Two divisions! Pedal stops at all ordinary pitches - with a reed! A free reed and wide-scaled mutations. It takes the "complete" baroque instrument and adds to it all that is required by the Italian music of the next three centuries!

I am an irregular visitor to these forums, so my knowledge of what's available for Hauptwerk these days is very outdated, but I am unaware of any other Italianate set which offers the same resources and certainly not offered pro bono. This then is a valuable and important gift from Piotr to the Hauptwerk community and I wanted to offer my personal thanks for it.

Because of it's attractive character, captured beautifully, the Guibiasco set has displaced three of my existing sample sets, Brescia, Gapinge (Torenkerk) and Menesterol.

It replaces Brescia, because, though modern, Giubiasco has both the disposition and character for early Italian music. It replaces Gapinge, because the Giubiasco Positiv can easily be used a a chamber instrument by itself and replaces Menesterol, because the sharp, clear principal chorus (which I usually employed for the performance of Bach) of that instrument, is more than matched by the clarity and immediacy of the Guibiasco plenum.

Congratulations, Sir, on your worthy achievement, and thank you for making this instrument available to us all. You will always have one appreciative listener here. :)

engrssc

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 4:26 pm

organplayer wrote:Unfortunately, she doesn't have a swell. I would also welcome such a feature for other organs that don't have a swell by default.

Check with Forum member Jake - subbas32"

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 5:31 am

organplayer wrote:Unfortunately, she doesn't have a swell. For the first manual, however, I think that would be very nice. Is there any way to put only the first manual on a swell pedal? So far, I have only found the possibility to place the entire output level on a swell pedal. But with that I can only vary the volume of the whole organ and not just for the first manual.
I would also welcome such a feature for other organs that don't have a swell by default.

Hello organplayer,

If a given rank isn't configured as being enclosed in a virtual swell box by the sample set creator then it isn't currently possible for the end-user to change that, I'm afraid (except potentially by creating your own organ definition from scratch with whatever specification you liked via the Custom Organ Design Module). However, we do have that logged as an enhancement request.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments