It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

Salisbury, it finishes with whirling soundeffect at the end

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

boramides

Salisbury, it finishes with whirling soundeffect at the end

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 3:39 pm

I installed Salisbury full version sample set on Windows8 based system with i7/32G RAM.

Every and each time after the keys released I am expecting it finishes with its beautiful natural reverberation only, but some kind of whirling sound effect always comes at the end. I tried Audio interfaces with MOTU 24io and M-Audio Pro610 and the result was the same.

Does anyone know why and to remove this issue?
Thank you!

josq

Re: Salisbury, it finishes with whirling soundeffect at the

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 4:48 pm

In what resolution have you loaded the samples (menu>>organ>>load organ, adjusting...)? The default 16 bit? That may give some noise which will become more audible at the end of the reverb tails, particularily when using large registrations. In that case, better load in 20 or 24 bit as you have sufficient RAM.

boramides

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 12:56 pm

The current setting is 24-bit (32-bit aligned) and it tales.
With larger registration it is louder.

Fokko

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Dear,

See also this topic, from Mar 10 2014.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11870&p=95054&hilit=kampen#p95029

Fokko
Fokko Horst

boramides

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Thank you all, I will have to try different settings if there is any that I could try.

Long time church organist told me that, in such place like where Salisbury sampled, with pipe organ, you get to hear swooping sound occurs as the reverb wraps up from time to time.
Not sure it was an unpleasant experience for him as I feel with Salisbury as I usually play loud.

Andrew Grahame

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 9:39 pm

It has always been my view that this sound is inherent in the reverberation tails. I'm guessing that it's a sound which is there in the real instrument, most likely made by a wind regulator closing off air supply to the bellows once a chord is released and wind demand drops. Someone familiar with the inner workings of the real Salisbury organ would need to confirm this.

If so, then you won't get rid of this noise by adjusting your audio equipment. I imagine you'd need to truncate the release tails, but then you'd lose some of the instrument's reverberation.

I've been listening to that noise for years now, especially since I always play through headphones, but I've accepted it as normal and it doesn't worry me.

Andrew

organsRgreat

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 1:03 pm

boramides – have you tried listening to the recordings of the Salisbury sample set posted on Contrebombarde? Go to

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concertha ... ced_search

then in the Organ search box look for “MDA – Salisbury Cathedral Father Willis”.
Click on “Search”, and you should have fifty three pages of performances to choose from. The site does use mp3 compression, which can obscure finer details such as reverb decay, but it might give you some useful sounds for comparison.

Recordings of the pipe organ are available on youtube, for instance a varied selection of music played by Michael Murray in an excellent recording by Telarc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcOfjlnbQ0

The first fanfare is quite short, and at the end the decay of sound from the famous Tuba can be heard clearly. Of course youtube is compressed too – but you could buy the actual CD for maximum fidelity.

How many speaker channels are you using? Too few can result in types of distortion that sound like noise:

http://www.pykett.org.uk/EndOfPipeOrgan.htm

jwillans

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 3:49 pm

I hear this as well and I think I also hear this on the Armley Shulze but would need to check. I always thought it was an artefact of the tail release as it approaches silence and gives an "air vortex" effect when combined across multiple release samples and therefore the effect seems more profound with more stops drawn. My samples are loaded in 20 bit.

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 am

I had mentioned a similar effect on the Kampen in the link that someone provided. It didn't appear to make any difference loading in 16 bit or 24 bit. I hear it, playing just one note and stop at a time. It seems much worse on the bass notes. I suspect because on the higher notes the sound effect may fade out above my hearing capability.

Eric

Return to Hauptwerk instruments