It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:43 am

Re-visiting sample sets from the past

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Re-visiting sample sets from the past

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Hello All,

I'm sure plenty of us here can be accused of this, you have those sets that you acquired at some point in the past but haven't played in a long time. They reside on your computer collecting dust, you think about them from time to time but for some reason leave them alone. When you do go to load and try that set out again after not looking at it for a long time, you're reminded of why you liked it in the first place.

I don't own a lot of sets as I'm quite picky and don't want to just buy a set to say I have it, but I have to say to this day one of the sets I still enjoy very much is the free composite dubbed the Zurek v5.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12777&hilit=zurek+v5

I goofed up and accidentally deleted parts of what's needed for this set quite some time back, so I hadn't played it for several months but kept saying to myself that I need to download what I deleted to get it back up and running. I recently took the time to download what I needed and lo and behold if I don't find myself once again enjoying this set pretty much on a daily basis! Big sound with a great growl to it if you so desire, great clarity, it's a surround set, lots of flexibility for a variety of music, also in my opinion is a good practice set due to it's clear sound. I find it to still sound as good as just about any set I've heard, AND you can't beat FREE! :wink:

Marc
Last edited by 1961TC4ME on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcrowley

Re: Re-visiting sample sets from the past

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 7:27 pm

The Sample Set that I love from the "days of yore" is the Marcussen, Moerdijk - St. Stephanuskerk. It was sampled and edited very professionally and the over all instrument has almost no weird artifacts or anomalies the sound is clear, concise and pleasant with just the perfect amount of resonance and reverberation. The organ was removed from it's original location and has been installed in another church. It also reminds me of the church where I now am organist on a 23 rank Casavant (1974) with beautiful voicing by Gerhard Brunzema. At a recent organ recital to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the church, I played a rather ambitious line-up including Evil Hovland's "Job" and it worked very well.

Just this week I also had the pleasure of playing my home congregations (and where I was organist for 7 years) on an 1894 Wangarin/Berschdorf of 27 ranks. My how I miss that instrument too!

lefranc22

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 4:17 am

The Sample Set that I love from the "days of yore" is the Marcussen, Moerdijk - St. Stephanuskerk.

It is still available at http://www.marcussenhauptwerk.nl/index_uk.html
Hauptwerk 2 version - It can be loaded (with its 3 keyboards) in the Hauptwerk Free Evaluation version: few 3 keyboards sample sets may do it.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 10:32 am

Here's a post from a few years back I found on CCH of the Zurek v5. Hard to deny the sound of this instrument and certainly understandable as to why I enjoy it so much! :D

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concertha ... usic/18972

Marc

Return to Hauptwerk instruments