Search:
Submit Search


Comparing 3 American organs from SP

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...

Re: Comparing 3 American organs from SP

Postby sonar11 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:37 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:I listened to audio examples of both the Skinner and Rosales over the lunch hour today and I like both but there are some definite differences. Both have great detail to their sound, I heard some nice chiff from some of the stops on the Skinner which I really like, both have sweet strings, the Rosales has more powerful reeds and so on. To use an analogy, the Rosales strikes me more as the modern day fine tuned high winding hyper sports car sound with the V-12 engine, the Skinner more the good old pleasing sound of a finely tuned but older school V 8 from the good old days.

You mentioned being able to afford either so why not get both?

Always nice to have both in the garage and be able to decide which one you want to drive! :wink:

Marc


I find they're too similar to each other to get both. My next sample after this one will be more baroque.
sonar11
Member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Comparing 3 American organs from SP

Postby 1961TC4ME » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:21 pm

sonar11 wrote:
1961TC4ME wrote:I listened to audio examples of both the Skinner and Rosales over the lunch hour today and I like both but there are some definite differences. Both have great detail to their sound, I heard some nice chiff from some of the stops on the Skinner which I really like, both have sweet strings, the Rosales has more powerful reeds and so on. To use an analogy, the Rosales strikes me more as the modern day fine tuned high winding hyper sports car sound with the V-12 engine, the Skinner more the good old pleasing sound of a finely tuned but older school V 8 from the good old days.

You mentioned being able to afford either so why not get both?

Always nice to have both in the garage and be able to decide which one you want to drive! :wink:

Marc


I find they're too similar to each other to get both. My next sample after this one will be more baroque.


Well, there you go, you've kind of answered your own question. I had a similar dilemma when trying to choose between St. Max and St. Michael, both quite similar and with the required stops that would be needed for what I wanted to do, except for the fact that the St. Max offered more stops which I looked at as an added bonus. So, I also figured there's no reason to have both and I went with the larger instrument.

Marc
1961TC4ME
Member
 
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 pm
Location: Lake Minnetonka, Minnesota

Re: Comparing 3 American organs from SP

Postby Tweedle_Dee » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:34 pm

I recently purchased the Rosales sample set and love it. The swell division has some really beautiful stops including the flutes and a celeste. And the positive cromorne is gorgeous! If you're obsessive about a lovely zimbelstern like me, the Rosales is hard to beat :D.
Tweedle_Dee
Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Rainy side of Oregon

Re: Comparing 3 American organs from SP

Postby sonar11 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:43 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:
sonar11 wrote:I find they're too similar to each other to get both. My next sample after this one will be more baroque.


Well, there you go, you've kind of answered your own question.


I'm not sure how I answered my own question? I don't have money for both, I need to choose 1, therefor the point of this thread was to look for owners feedback and comparison :)
sonar11
Member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Comparing 3 American organs from SP

Postby 1961TC4ME » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:00 pm

sonar11 wrote:
1961TC4ME wrote:
sonar11 wrote:I find they're too similar to each other to get both. My next sample after this one will be more baroque.


Well, there you go, you've kind of answered your own question.


I'm not sure how I answered my own question? I don't have money for both, I need to choose 1, therefor the point of this thread was to look for owners feedback and comparison :)


I guess you missed my point. If to you the Skinner and Rosales sound too similar as you stated (like I also concluded between St. Max and St. Michael), and if you like the sound of both and either offers and will do what you want them to do, and either is also in your price range, then go with the bonus of the additional stops for even more possibilities and just get the larger (1) of the 2 instruments (Rosales). Pretty simple really. :D

Marc
1961TC4ME
Member
 
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 pm
Location: Lake Minnetonka, Minnesota

Re: Comparing 3 American organs from SP

Postby Lougheed » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:35 am

1961TC4ME wrote:I guess you missed my point. If to you the Skinner and Rosales sound too similar as you stated (like I also concluded between St. Max and St. Michael), and if you like the sound of both and either offers and will do what you want them to do, and either is also in your price range, then go with the bonus of the additional stops for even more possibilities and just get the larger (1) of the 2 instruments (Rosales). Pretty simple really. :D


Not so simple. A better comparison on the "size matters" scale would be Rosales vs Skinner Extended. In that case the Skinner is the larger, 75 stops vs 60 in fact.
Lougheed
Member
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:08 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Comparing 3 American organs from SP

Postby sonar11 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:47 am

1961TC4ME wrote:I guess you missed my point. If to you the Skinner and Rosales sound too similar as you stated (like I also concluded between St. Max and St. Michael), and if you like the sound of both and either offers and will do what you want them to do, and either is also in your price range, then go with the bonus of the additional stops for even more possibilities and just get the larger (1) of the 2 instruments (Rosales). Pretty simple really. :D

Marc


No, not at all. There is a lot more to consider than amount of stops. For example, the information given by mnailor; that the manuals have a large difference in volume, is something you can only find out by somebody who has played the sample.
sonar11
Member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Comparing 3 American organs from SP

Postby Gerryo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:01 pm

I have both the Skinner and the Rosales, and think both are wonderful instruments. I consider the Reuter to be at best a modest example of the American Orchestral ideal, built by an average company.

I had Jake modify his extension of the Skinner to include voices from the free edition of both the Reuter and Rosales, and I believe the results are quite satisfying.

The Aeolian Skinner from Sonus is probably the best example from that company that is available for Hauptwerk at this time. It is certainly not one of the instruments that made the company so famous, but it is a very good instrument. The final word on this builder has yet to be spoken.

The Rosales represents the mature thinking of a contemporary American Eclectic builder. It is a magnificent instrument in a warm but not very reverberant room.

Personally, I use the Skinner more because I like that type of organ building better, but you could make a sound musical case for either.
Gerryo
Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:58 am
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska

Re: Comparing 3 American organs from SP

Postby jkinkennon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Gerryo wrote:The Aeolian Skinner from Sonus is probably the best example from that company that is available for Hauptwerk at this time. It is certainly not one of the instruments that made the company so famous, but it is a very good instrument. The final word on this builder has yet to be spoken.

The Rosales represents the mature thinking of a contemporary American Eclectic builder. It is a magnificent instrument in a warm but not very reverberant room.


This is the kind of comparison that I was waiting to see. I love music but am primarily involved with HW due to a love of technology and audio and do not feel qualified to make such a comparison. I suspect that the Skinner might be the better compliment to an existing collection of European sample sets while for many the Rosales would be the really exciting samples to own.
jkinkennon
Member
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:43 am
Location: Vancouver, WA

Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rodgers321 and 4 guests