It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 am

A quick Salisbury question

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

A quick Salisbury question

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Hello all,

I did research the forum first and found a few possible indicators that would answer this question, but couldn't find a 100% for sure answer, so will ask here for confirmation.

Is the MDA Salisbury a surround set?

Thanks,

Marc

1961TC4ME

Re: A quick Salisbury question

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 11:02 pm

Hmmm... I see that somehow this posted twice. Brett or Martin feel free to delete one or the other.

Gerryo

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 12:12 am

No. It is wet, but not surround.

josq

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 4:10 am

Yes, it's wet only.

But according to this topic, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12823&p=94583, the raw recordings for a surround version are available, but without plans for release (yet). So hopefully we'll see Salisbury updated in the future.

mdyde

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 4:39 am

Hello Marc,

Thanks very much for the interest in it.

Currently it's just stereo. It was recorded in surround, so perhaps Brett might decide to make a surround version at some point in the future, but I don't think here are any definite plans for that.

[Edit: P.S. I see you'd posted this topic twice accidentally, and I'd replied in your other topic, so I've merged the two topics together.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 11:49 am

Thank you, josq, Gerryo and Martin for the clarification!

Marc

Organorak

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 5:44 pm

It's not surround (yet!).

But using Cantabile I split the signal. I send the pure wet stereo signal to my front speakers and apply additional cathedral style reverb to the rear channels and reduced volume in the rear speakers. This gives what I find to be quite a convincing surround effect to my four speaker system.

For sample sets that are recorded in surround I simply send the pure front signal to the front speakers and the pure rear signal to the rear speakers without adding any additional reverb.

mnailor

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 pm

For my speaker placement, Salisbury wet sounds just as "surround" as any surround sampleset I have.

My upperwork and basses audio groups each have speakers both in front and rear. For example, ranks assigned to upperwork use two stereo pairs front and two stereo pairs rear, 8 channels.

Same for basses, but there is only one pair front and one pair rear, plus a subwoofer, 4 channels.

There's also a 4 channel group in front only, that gets a few heavier 8' flues, solo reeds, cornets, etc.

Default routing algorithm on all three groups.

Salisbury works well this way, as do surround sets where the rear ranks are assigned to the same 3 audio groups. Hereford too.

On surround sets, I don't separate rear ranks for upperwork or basses, because it sounded hollow and unconvincing to me when I tried audio groups with front speakers separate from rear speakers. But I do send each rear rank, whose corresponding front rank is on the front-only group, to the upperwork group for obvious reasons.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments