It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 am

Aristide No. 1 v2 Available Now

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Cavaillé-Cool

Re: Aristide No. 1 v2 Available Now

PostMon May 28, 2018 10:29 am

Hello Chris,

There is no copula Récit to Positif on this Cavaillé-Coll. However, we can use the native HW master couplers Div III to II 8'. But there is a curious interference with the Appel d'Anches Récit.
For example, let us consider the following registration :
Récit : Diapason 8', Trompette harmonique 8' (Appel d'Anches Récit not engaged)
Div III to II 8'
Tirasse Positif.
When we play on the Récit, we hear only the Diapason
When we play on the Positif, we hear both the Trompette and the Diapason.
When we play on the Pedal, we hear the Trompette although the Tirasse Récit is not engaged.
These behaviours may be either an inconvenient or an advantage depending what we want to do.

It is an advantage when we play on the Récit without hearing the Trompette and we use this Trompette in solo with the Pedal. It is an inconvenient, for example, when we want to prepare reeds.

Yours.
Paul

ludu

PostMon May 28, 2018 10:53 am

In my opinion, there are 2 ways to consider this sample set. The purist may play it with its original configuration and won’t use the missing couplers. If we prefer to take advantage of all the possibilities of HW, we can use the native couplers, but we don’t need the ‘Appels d’anches’, because the combinations are more flexible.
Luc

chr.schmitz

PostMon May 28, 2018 11:10 am

Hello Paul,

Did you see my private message?

Regarding your current question: the master coupler manual assignment (in v2.5.0) has been changed upon user request:

Div1 = Man1 = Positif
Div2 = Man2 = Grand-Orgue
Div3 = Man3 = Récit
Div4 = Man4 = Bombarde

A coupler Récit to Positif would be Div III to Div I (not Div II).

The couplers on the screen work exactly as they work in the original organ. However, there is a problem with the Hauptwerk master couplers. I have currently no idea, how to solve this issue. If somebody has an idea, how to solve this issue in a CODM, I am very grateful for every tip.

The reeds are placed on separate divisions. Each physical division consists of two logical divisions. In the sample set I can make couplers conditional. That means, that a reed stop is only coupled, if and only if both the reed coupler and the standard coupler are engaged. Unfortunately there is no way to tell Hauptwerk master couplers that some stops are conditional. Currently I have to decide, whether reeds are coupled always (independent of the reed coupler) or never. I decided to go for the first option.

While writing I got already an idea, how to solve this issue in the future, but this requires major internal rewiring and cannot be done in the CODM. It can be done only directly in the ODF.

I hope that this answers your questions.

Yours,
Chris

chr.schmitz

PostMon May 28, 2018 11:12 am

Hello Luc,

In my opinion, there are 2 ways to consider this sample set. The purist may play it with its original configuration and won’t use the missing couplers. If we prefer to take advantage of all the possibilities of HW, we can use the native couplers, but we don’t need the ‘Appels d’anches’, because the combinations are more flexible.

I cannot agree more!

Yours,
Chris

chr.schmitz

PostMon May 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Hello Paul,

I found a relatively simple "hack" to correct the behavior of the Hauptwerk master couplers. I will do the implementation ASAP and release a minor update.

Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention!

Yours,
Chris

Cavaillé-Cool

PostTue May 29, 2018 4:25 am

Hello Chris,

Did you see my private message?

Sorry Chris, I have asked to Brett Milan to change my email address, because I have no more access to it. Therefore, I can't read your private message to this email address. In addition, I do not know how to download the last Aristide update.

I cannot agree more!

I agree both to Luc and Chris. Nethertheless, I think that sample sets should be completely coherent with the HW software. If HW can not take into account some specificity of Cavaillé-Coll organs in its present state and we should ask Brett and Martin to plan an enhancement of their software or people who create new sample sets should ask help to them when there is a difficulty.
It is a good news that Chris has found a solution to that (little) issue.

Yours.
Paul

chr.schmitz

PostTue May 29, 2018 4:30 am

Paul,

Last night I updated the sample set to work with the Hauptwerk master couplers.

Please write me an email to info@hauptwerk-organ.com for download instructions.

Yours,
Chris

david515mi

PostTue May 29, 2018 6:36 am

Thanks for this fix, Chris; so,far, it’s working beautifully.

David

chr.schmitz

PostTue May 29, 2018 7:03 am

David, I am glad to hear that you like it!

Chris

Cavaillé-Cool

PostWed May 30, 2018 3:13 am

Hello Chris,

As I wrote a week ago in this thread, it is the first time I have the feeling to play in a very large church at home. This set is really a magnificent instrument. Tutti are impressive, details sound clears and the dynamics for the « Récit expressif » is large. The reverberation time is ok for me ; the longer reverberation time for the low frequencies participates to the cathedral immersion feeling.

Many thanks Chris. You have done a great job. I like this sample set very much.

Yours.
Paul

chr.schmitz

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 9:13 am

Aristide v2.5.1 introduced a silly bug: Récit "Basson et Hautbois 8” sounded only, when the coupler "Anches Récit" was engaged. This bug is now fixed in v2.5.2.

Chris

mnailor

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 3:24 pm

I was wondering how the purchase process gets completed. I got a receipt email from paypal. Am I expecting an email with download instructions after paypal makes the funds available? Or should I be looking somewhere on the website for my order status? Thank you.

chr.schmitz

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Hello mnailor,

Unfortunately the shop software I am using provides only a link, which is valid for one hour. I am currently in discussion with the programmers to change that in the future.

I will send you the link to the download link in a privat message.

Best,
Chris

mnailor

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 4:29 pm

Got it --- it was filtered as spam/junk mail. Thanks!

mnailor

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 12:01 pm

This is great! I've only heard St Ouen on CDs, not in person, so I don't know how close it is, but the details come through even with the large acoustic, and the detuning and wind works to give more realistic sounding choruses than most samplesets.

I like it better than Caen and Metz. Was surprised that a stereo set sounds better than Caen surround with my sound system -- I really wasn't expecting that. This is on 16 channels and sub, surrounding the console.

Very minor suggestion: Changing the GO Barker to default to On doesn't prevent GC from canceling it. This does work with the Anches switches. Not sure if this is intentional, but if I'm using modern combinations (HW master registrations) instead of traditional C-C ventils, I don't expect to silence the GO for hand registrations whenever I hit general cancel. Thanks for considering this.
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments