It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

Melbourne Town Hall virtual organ available now

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

smfrank

Re: Melbourne Town Hall virtual organ available now

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 5:59 pm

Morse wrote:Hi Steve,

I recently had a similar problem. Brett claimed to have sent an update several times. I didn't get it....

Nope. I’ve already had several updates for other organs (I buy most everything). They’re not sending it. It is now 6:00!!!!!
Steve
Steven Frank

Cooky

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi Douglas,
By "acoustic" I meant a wind blown sound rather than a digital one. Thirty two foot is meant as the fundamental of the speaking length of the rank.
On MTH there is one 32' Resultant pedal rank not included in my list, described in a concert programme as "32' Contra Bourdon Acoustic - (Resultant)" . There is also in the uninstalled Echo Pedal division a 32" Resultant. (This division presently sits in storage somewhere in Melbourne, while its chamber, set high in the rear of the hall, is used by techies as an audio/lighting control room)

Hope I have covered all bases and thanks for your correction - pedantry sometimes serves a good purpose!

sipirc

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 9:14 pm

Dear All,

First of all, may I also congratulate Csaba and the team on this milestone achievement. I think we would all agree (though correct me if I am wrong on this...) that so far, not only this has been the first virtual organ sample set ever of a civic/town hall but also the largest as a standalone instrument at that, with 175 stops!
IA, as always, has been pushing the boundaries of what virtual organ technology is capable of and pioneering in setting new standards.

Besides the sheer size, the richness and variety of stops available are also unique in the instrument’s ambient acoustics - despite these factors, full 24-bit resolution is still possible to “pack” into 56GB of RAM, which a computer with 64GB RAM can easily handle. Load it in 16-bit and it should fit into 32GB...without having to cut reverb tails or not load certain stops. I think this is a commendable achievement, considering the sheer size, polyphony and acoustics of this “beast” or “beauty” - think of Aladdin and the genie unleashed from the lamp!

Speaking of beast or beauty - of course, the profile photo on the right may no doubt reveal that the writer of these lines cannot form an unbiased view on this subject but can certainly do this with pride: as a member of the original recording team in Melbourne, I, too, at times was undecided whether to call this organ a “beauty” or a “beast” - depending on the challenges of the day, and that is before post-production! - with its monumental size and therefore, “collateral” challenges...However, hopefully the end result will speak for itself that it was very well worth it. Enjoy!

smfrank

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 12:25 am

It was a painful process, downloading, then waiting for the dongle update - 3 days in total. But Oh My was it worth it!!!!!! What an amazing set. Gorgeous sound and beautiful graphics. I particularly love the “center” screen which has the entire organ layout that is incredibly well designed and readable.

Thanks Csaba for this wonderful organ, and patience with all my complaining!

Steve
Steven Frank

sipirc

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 3:57 am

I love the Center screen, too! I can’t get both screens working at the same time as dual touch screens on the new computer (the card should handled it, it did the Viewsonic monitors but not the Acer T230H) so using only one at the moment for touch input - but also, given the huge number of inter and intra-couplers etc, the best way one can find the main couplers on the same screen as the stops is this one! Stunning graphics, too...The other screen can be set as the Console, About (console and organ case view) - and/or organise stepper programming on it, still able to see much of either of the latter two screens.
GregHS

Organorak

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 4:01 pm

These are the organs I am aware of having six 32' stops or more:

9 Atlantic City Convention Hall
8 Los Angeles First Congregational Church (HW sample set available from CLR Resources)
7 Philadelphia Macy's (''Wanamaker'') Store
7 West Point Academy Cadet Chapel
7 Salt Lake City Conference Center (Latter-Day Saints)
6 Washington National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
6 Liverpool Anglican Cathedral
6 Melbourne Town Hall
6 Pasadena Lake Ave Congregational Church

Cheeky thread hijack alert but I've heard five of the above in the flesh and played two of them. Is that a record?

Rossco

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 9:50 pm

I too have downloaded fully and tried. It all appears to install ok but then nothing is appearing in the organ list. Has anyone else had this issue? I have placed a ticket over a week ago but have had no response apart from the bot which suggested a 1-2 day turnaround. A bit dissapointing given the cost of download. Ohhh and nothing in my junkmail suggesting a response was even attempted.

mdyde

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 4:17 am

Hello Rossco,

The organ is licensed via the Hauptwerk USB key. In order to be able to install the organ definition (which is the part that would show up in your list of organs to load) you would need to have a licence for it in your USB key. We would need to arrange with you to update your USB key remotely to enable that licence in it (as with previous sample sets that you've purchased).

From a brief look through our database and email correspondence, it doesn't appear that Inspired Acoustics have contacted us yet to instruct us to to do that. As a matter of procedure, we need to be notified of the purchase by the seller of the sample set before we're allowed to enable it for the buyer. Usually the seller would notify us promptly, but perhaps somehow IA missed your purchase and/or support ticket with them. I'll send them an email to ask them to look into it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Rossco

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 7:48 am

Thanks martin, i am a bit new to the hauptwerk organ sample downloads. Reading through the install instructions i didnt see this as a requirement re licences. Thankyou for following up with inspired Accoustics. The ticket was raised last saturday per my email.

mdyde

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 8:11 am

Thanks, Rossco.

You're very welcome. Hopefully IA will get back to you and us soon so that we can get it up and running for you.
Best regards, Martin.

Csaba Huszty

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 8:23 am

Hello Rossco,
We just got Martin's letter and responded. The update should be fine now, sorry for the troubles.
Yours truly,
Dr. Csaba Huszty

Rossco

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 6:46 am

Thankyou for the followup. I received a response from inspired accoustics indicating it was now activated? Not sure how i access the activation. No explanation was given in there response and i couldnt reply to the ticket. Rather a challenging process. Could you further advise on my steps to get his activated. Thankyou for your patience.

chr.schmitz

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 6:52 am

Hello Rossco,

The email of MDA contains an attachment. You have to store this attachment somewhere on your computer (e.g. on your desktop). Then start Hauptwerk and chose Hauptwerk > File > Apply license update file ... . Go to the folder, where you stored the attachment, and load it.

After you restart Hauptwerk you can enjoy the beautiful Melbourne Town Hall sample set.

Best,
Chris

mdyde

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 7:05 am

Hello Rossco,

I expect IA's mail to you was just an automated response on their part. (It wouldn't have been the actual instructions for the licence update process itself.) We do have notification from them now to activate your licence, which is currently waiting for our licensing people to contact you to arrange with you to perform the necessary update. Once they get to it you'll be sent full instructions automatically for what needs to be done. Our apologies for the delay with that (presumably because of the the weekend).

If you'd like to use 'File | Create a license update request file' and send the resulting licence update request file to us ( http://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/license-updates/ ) in readiness then that might help to save a little delay overall. If you just put IA Melbourne' in the order reference then our licensing people will know what it relates to. You might then still receive an automated email asking you to create a licence update request file, but please just ignore it if so. (Creating a second licence update request file would invalidate the first, and necessitate repeating the process, so it's important that you only create one request file.)

[Edit: P.S. Chris' reply assumed that you had already sent and received the necessary licence update files, which isn't the case, so please *don't* try to use 'File | Apply a license update file' yet. We need to receive and process the licence update request file from you first, and then we'll contact you with the necessary file and file instructions.]

I hope that helps and thanks for your patience.
Best regards, Martin.

Csaba Huszty

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 5:32 am

Dear All,
Perhaps the reason was partly due to the change that we implemented recently. The license update procedure on our part has been adjusted to be fully automated, so upon completing a purchase the notification in compliance with data minimisation is automatically sent to MDA so that your dongle can be updated as soon as possible.
Yours truly,
Dr. Csaba Huszty

Return to Hauptwerk instruments