It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

St. Mark's Glendale (SMG) 1929 E.M. Skinner released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

craasch

St. Mark's Glendale (SMG) 1929 E.M. Skinner released

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 11:50 am

We are pleased to announce the release of an exciting and unique new instrument for the Hauptwerk community.

The instrument is a beautifully restored but unmodified 3-manual 1929 EM Skinner. This instrument is a quintessential example of EM Skinner's medium sized instruments of the 1920's. This instrument was built in 1929 for St. Paul's Memorial Church, United Church of Christ, in Reading PA. In 2009 Parkey moved the instrument, restored it, and installed it at St. Mark's Episcopal, Glendale CA. Most importantly, the instrument was restored but not "improved". It is currently immaculately maintained by RM Ballantyne Pipe Organs.

It has all of the classic EM Skinner stops - harp, Clarabella, French Horn, Tromba, a giant First Diapason, Orchestral Flute, a wonderful Oboe and Vox Humana, and excellent early century narrow scale strings on both Swell and Choir.

The instrument is in a wonderful acoustic, and is recorded in 4 channel surround. A slider allows you to mix the Direct and Ambient channels to your liking. Full landscape and portrait screens as well as an overall console screen are available. Also, since the instrument was expanded, a "Historic Layout" screen is provided showing the original configuration of the console, including the pre-AGO stop and coupler configuration.

More information and pictures can be found on our site. A Demo is available for you to try. A few recordings are available demonstrating the full range of the instrument. The instrument is offered for USD345. For more details, go to https://www.clrresources.com/smg-em-skinner/

Stoplist:
Great
16 Bourdon
8 First Diapason
8 Second Diapason
8 Clarabella
4 Octave
4 Flute
2 Fifteenth
IV Mixture
8 Tromba
8 French Horn
Zimbelstern
Chimes

Swell
16 Bourdon
8 Diapason
8 Rohrfloete
8 Salicional
8 Voix Celeste
8 Aeoline
8 Flute Celeste
4 Octave
4 Flute Triangulare
2 2/3 Quint Flute
2 Flautino
1 3/5 Tierce
III Mixture
16 Bassoon
8 Cornopean
8 Oboe d'Amore
8 Vox Humana
4 Clarion

Choir
16 Contra Dulciana
8 Orchestral Flute
8 Dulciana
8 Unda Maris
4 Flute
8 Tuba
8 Clarinet
Harp
Celesta

Pedal
32 Resultant
32 Untersatz
16 Open Diapason
16 Bourdon
16 Echo Lieblich
16 Dulciana
8 Octave
8 Gedeckt
8 Still Gedeckt
8 Dulciana
4 Super Octave
4 Flute
32 Contra Trombone
16 Trombone
16 Bassoon
8 Tromba
4 Clarion
Chimes

giwro

Re: St. Mark's Glendale (SMG) 1929 E.M. Skinner released

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 12:48 pm

I've been playing this since the early Beta stage, and it is indeed a wonderful instrument!
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

mnailor

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 2:31 pm

This is an enjoyable, modest sized original E. M. Skinner in a good acoustical setting for the instrument. Reverb seems to be about 2 - 3 seconds, and it can be made as wet or dry as you might wish with sliders.

As far as I know, this is the only E. M. Skinner (not Aeolian-Skinner!) sampleset with multiple releases that isn't semi-dry. Some of us have been waiting for the multirelease Mt. Carmel Skinner. This organ fills the gap nicely and will be interesting even when MDA gets to complete their project.

The front channels are close to the pipe chambers, and the rear channels are in the church, more like a "front diffuse" position than "rear". The rear channels stand on their own, and can be used with just a small amount of front for a faster attack to hear it from the church perspective.

This is a welcome addition to the US sampleset lineup. Next on my US wish list: an early and a late19th century instrument -- a classical and a romantic.
Last edited by mnailor on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jharmon

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 10:57 am

Any chance of a sample download?

organplayer

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 11:32 am

jharmon wrote:Any chance of a sample download?

Look at their homepage for this organ. Click "Download". There is a very nice demo-version.

engrssc

telemanr

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 6:56 pm

I bought it because I’ve given up waiting for the revised Milan Skinner. I have the original but with no multiple releases I just get annoyed every time I play it.
The St. Mark’s covers most of of the things I did like about Brett’s one plus extras. And it is surround with also an ambiance slider that is user adjustable. I’m just starting with it but I like it so far.
Rob Enns

engrssc

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 7:43 pm

telemanr wrote:I bought it because I’ve given up waiting for the revised Milan Skinner. I have the original but with no multiple releases I just get annoyed every time I play it.

Good move, Rob. Time to move on as the saying goes. Obviously the revised Milan Skinner ain't gonna happen at least not in our life time. :roll:

I just bought David Butcher's (Lavender Audio) Armley Schulze:

http://www.lavenderaudio.co.uk/organs/armley/armley-demos.html

Based on "that sound" that I have been looking for and some promo effort from Marc Cleman (1961TC4ME) Thanks David B and Marc C.

Next on the list.I have the SMG demo but haven't had a chance to play (with) it yet. But I will.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am

Waiting for some uploads to start showing up on CCH and will have a listen.

Marc

organplayer

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 12:16 pm

@craasch
Hi,

1) the demo version in Choir offers 4 active pistons: Unison off, Choir 4, Choir 16, Tremulo. For what can I use them? There is no active stop in Choir :(

2) I found a problem if I use Pedal Divide. After turning it on and off let's say 3 times, the active pedal stops are completely silent. You hear only the stops i.e. from Great (if you uses the coupler). You have to reload the organ to make work pedal again.

Best regards
organplayer

giwro

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:Waiting for some uploads to start showing up on CCH and will have a listen.

Marc

There are 2 so far: http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/29242
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/29243
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

chr.schmitz

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Hello organplayer,

2) I found a problem if I use Pedal Divide. After turning it on and off let's say 3 times, the active pedal stops are completely silent. You hear only the stops i.e. from Great (if you uses the coupler). You have to reload the organ to make work pedal again.

This is a weird finding. I cannot understand how a switch can behave differently after multiple uses. I tried the same with the full sample set, but cannot confirm your finding. Maybe it is an issue with the demo set?

Chris

organplayer

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 3:04 pm

May be it's only in the demo set. A couple of minutes before I tried it again. Same result. I turned it on and off just 2 times. I suppose craasch will answer this (and my other question, too)

jharmon

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 8:46 pm

I lost all pedal stops at some point and didn't have the pedal divide in use. Reloading the set brought back te pedal.

mnailor

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 8:56 am

I had the pre-release version which was put out around the same time as the demo. It had the pedal silencing problem, which was fixed right away. Probably the fix didn't make it to the demo yet. I no longer have the pedals go silent, which was associated with pedal divide, which activated on its own when pistons were pressed. That's fixed in the full version.
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments