It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:38 am

Any updates to Salisbury?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

MikeDC

Any updates to Salisbury?

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 2:13 pm

I purchased Salisbury early on. A few years ago, I wrote Brett to describe these wonky notes in the sample set. Has any one else experienced these issues? Brett indicated that they had not heard of these issues from anyone else:

These are the wonky notes in the Salisbury set. Mind you, I went through quickly, so some of these are probably "passable" and might need only tuning. However, at least 3 or 4 absolutely should be corrected in my opinion. Also, there is a very detailed demonstration of this sampleset on YouTube and the bad notes are identified there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGKvu-fi4_U (The solo reed demo begins at 26:45)

Here's my list:

Tremmed Clarinet = C5

Tremmed Cor Anglais = E2, E4, C5, D5, G#5

Orchestral Oboe = F#1

Tremmed Orchestral Oboe = D2, C#3, D#3, D4, G4, G#4, G5, G#5

mdyde

Re: Any updates to Salisbury?

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Hello Mike,

Brett released a v1.10 patch some years ago, which can be found on the sample set's page:

https://www.milandigitalaudio.com/instruments/symphonic/1877-salisbury-cathedral-willis/?back=Instruments

... by clicking on the 'Downloads' tab.

It doesn't appear to list the particular pipes that you mention, though. To my knowledge there have been no other patches.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

MikeDC

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 6:59 pm

Thank you Martin. I have that patch. It did not provide any changes regarding these issues.

MW

Erzahler

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 10:11 pm

Here is an update to the real organ.
The organ will be out of action for a year as some TLC is to be carried out by H&H during 2019.
We can keep on playing.
http://www.salisburycathedralfriends.co ... /organ.pdf

Organorak

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Interesting thanks.

Whilst I love Salisbury and play it more than most other sets I must admit I rarely use the Solo Cor anglais. I'm not quite sure of the purpose of having a 16 foot solo manual reed to begin with, though it would make for a wonderful 8 foot solo stop played with solo octave and solo unison off, just if only the danged thing wasn't so badly out of tune! Anyone else feel it could do with a touch-up? Or are you not using the original temperament?

When Salisbury was first released there was a bit of a suggestion that there might in time be a surround version. Is that still on the backburner?

mdyde

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 4:42 am

Hello Organorak,

I'm not sure whether Brett has any updates planned for the sample set, but I've sent him an email to mark this thread for his attention.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 6:57 pm

Apologies for the slightly late reply as I was away on vacation.

We are not planning a surround version for Salisbury.

The particular notes you are experiencing are how the organ was playing at the time of sampling. Any notes that were at the risk of being "too poorly regulated" would have been re-pitched from a corresponding note, these notes I felt were acceptable and add to the realism and randomness of the organ and is how it would have sounded at the time even during a concert etc.

We have not heard comments from others for many years so these notes have not been looked at. I'll at it to the list of things to have a look at for this instrument and if deemed appropriate a fix will be issued.

Thank you!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Agnus_Dei

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 11:24 pm

As someone who has upload many pieces using the fabulous Salisbury set, I can tell you that it's VERY easy to correct the out-of-tune notes on the Solo organ, just by adjusting the pitch of these notes yourself.

There are a few, like the "B-flat" just below "Middle-C" on the Orchestral Oboe that really do HAVE to get a tune up, but once it's done, it's perfect.

It solves ALL the tuning problems!

Peace to All

Return to Hauptwerk instruments