It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:46 am

Casavant Organ Model by Sonus Paradisi

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

zurek

Casavant Organ Model by Sonus Paradisi

PostWed May 16, 2018 5:15 am

I have the pleasure to introduce the Casavant, op. 3742, sample set for Hauptwerk. The organ was built in 1995 by the Canada's best known organbuilding company and it is installed in the First Presbyterian church in Bellevue, Washington (USA). A typical example of the American eclectic organ design, installed in a typically dry American acoustics.

The original instrument consists of 3 manuals and a pedal, alltogether 73 sounding stops. It provides the typical resources useful for American service playing, beginning with the core principal chorus on the Great to support congregational singing. Two enclosed/expressive divisions with both foundation and color stops are especially useful for choral accompanying. Beyond the basics of each division, additional elements such as the horizontal Trompette-en-chamade and the Chimes are also typical of many American church organs of this size.

The sample set can be used in Hauptwerk version 4 and higher, the Advanced version is necessary due to the size of the virtual instrument. It is available in a surround (4-channels) format. The front channels can be used alone to form a semi-dry variant of the sample set, especially when releases truncated in Hauptwerk.

The sample set is offered in a plain wave format, no encryption. The virtual instrument is a general purpose universal organ, well suited for practicing music of all styles.

More details, including the specification and audio demo samples of the instrument may be found on the Sonus Paradisi web pages.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

Lougheed

Re: Casavant Organ Model by Sonus Paradisi

PostWed May 16, 2018 9:26 am

Wonderful news! :-)

josq

PostWed May 16, 2018 10:16 am

And a generous demo... 26 stops for free, wow! Looking forward to download and try.

1961TC4ME

PostWed May 16, 2018 10:57 am

Although I'd like to hear some fuller registrations and it probably won't be long before someone uploads something to CCH, the demos so far sound awesome, and I actually like the acoustic as well. I also dig the French influence! I can see myself getting this one.

Bargain priced too! :D

Marc

Lougheed

PostWed May 16, 2018 11:41 am

I'm really enjoying the demo version! (Will be ordering when I get paid at the end-of-the-month).

I did configure the Great division to be played from the middle manual and the Positif to be played from the lowest manual. (I have three manuals). It's simply more intuitive for my old North American brain, otherwise I end up often "going for" the wrong manual.

I too like the ambience. (Just adding a touch of Seventh Heaven hits the sweet spot for me).

zurek

PostWed May 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Indeed, playing the Great from the middle manual is very good approach! On the real console in Bellevue, there is a device which allows swapping the order of manuals as well! I did not model it in the ODF, because Hauptwerk allows for keyboard mapping without any difficulty natively.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

murph

PostWed May 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Ordered and downloading now.

smfrank

PostWed May 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Downloaded and installed as soon as it was announced.
Jiri seems to be the most prolific sample set producer these days.
And real quality stuff, I might add.
This is a great set. Perfect for French music.
I love the various screens, including a 'simple' screen that has a layout for Americans!
And the included combination action, generals and divisional, makes this another first rate set.
Thanks, Jiri!!!
Steve
Steven Frank

Lougheed

PostWed May 16, 2018 6:49 pm

The Simple Jam and Single Jam screens are NOT configured to AGO standards.

The Left Jamb and the Right Jam are.

I would like to see Left Simple Jam and Right Simple Jam to be made available, but to AGO standards, to be clear.

And BTW, it's AGO, not "American". Some of us on here are actually in Canada and playing on Canadian instruments! Even Casavants, in some cases. :-)

smfrank

PostThu May 17, 2018 3:51 am

Lougheed wrote:The Simple Jam and Single Jam screens are NOT configured to AGO standards.

My apologies for saying American and not AGO, although we are all NORTH Americans!
The 'simple' and 'single' are not anywhere near the same. (I'm looking at landscape, not portrait)
The 'simple' is what I call upside down, pitches descending.
Steve
Steven Frank

Lougheed

PostThu May 17, 2018 6:21 am

smfrank wrote:
Lougheed wrote:The Simple Jam and Single Jam screens are NOT configured to AGO standards.

My apologies for saying American and not AGO, although we are all NORTH Americans!
The 'simple' and 'single' are not anywhere near the same. (I'm looking at landscape, not portrait)
The 'simple' is what I call upside down, pitches descending.
Steve

Yep, you're right! I guess I had looked at them too quickly. (D'oh!).

In truth, since I have two monitors, I only ever use left and right jams.

(I had thought about North American, also :-) )

smfrank

PostThu May 17, 2018 7:44 am

Lougheed wrote:
smfrank wrote:(I had thought about North American, also :-) )

Not to mention it IS American Guild of Organists :)
Steve
Steven Frank

sesquialtera

PostThu May 17, 2018 1:04 pm

Not to mention it IS American Guild of Organists :)
Steve

So, should you say : USAGO ? :wink:

Daniel Dries

PostThu May 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Having downloaded and played this set for an hour or so, I like it very much. Like other recent Sonus Paradisi sets, it is absolutely excellent. Although the sound is very direct, it is warm and rich. It is also very generous for the price.

In terms of presence, it is similar to the Oakland Aeolian Skinner, but the tone is quite different, and much more suited to French repertoire. Although the joy of Hauptwerk is being able to play repertoire on the appropriate instruments, most organists have to perform on the ‘eclectic’ instruments. For this reason, I think the new Casavant will be excellent for recital preparation, particularly on account of its responsiveness.

Well done again Jiri, and thanks for keeping Hauptwerk alive!

Daniel

TheOrganDoc

PostThu May 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Do Canadian's live on, the Continent, of North America .
Or is theirs the seceded, continent of Northern North America ? ?
I am sure that Canadians are welcome in the AGO, If they are Professional Organists ! :roll:

The Left Jamb and the Right Jam are.

I would like to see Left Simple Jam and Right Simple Jam to be made available, but to AGO standards, to be clear.

And BTW, it's AGO, not "American". Some of us on here are actually in Canada and playing on Canadian instruments! Even Casavants, in some cases. :-)
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments