It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:29 am

Now Released!!! Furtwängler & Hammer, Kaiserdom Königslutter

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

murph

Re: Now Released!!! Furtwängler & Hammer, Kaiserdom Königslu

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi Marc,
I went through this with the first muti-part rar file I tried to install. It gave all the errors etc you have encountered. Even with all the files on the USB drive, and room for un-packing, HW gave errors. It only worked properly when the files were on an internal drive. (It doesn't matter which, I have 5 and they all work for this)
If you are running out of space, maybe add another drive for HW's "samplesets and components", which don't need to be on a fast drive?
Good luck with installing!

Tony.

ReinerS

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 5:20 am

murph wrote:Hi Marc,
I went through this with the first muti-part rar file I tried to install. It gave all the errors etc you have encountered. Even with all the files on the USB drive, and room for un-packing, HW gave errors. It only worked properly when the files were on an internal drive. (It doesn't matter which, I have 5 and they all work for this)
If you are running out of space, maybe add another drive for HW's "samplesets and components", which don't need to be on a fast drive?
Good luck with installing!

Tony.

Alerted by this I just tried this myself and I can confirm the issue. Apparently when installing from an external drive (USB stick) HW first copies the selected file to a temporary folder on the local drive, but it only copies the file you selected. Then the unpack fails, as only that single file was copied. When installing from a local drive (doesn't matter which one) HW omits the copying step and directly starts the unpacking, which then works.

So I can confirm the issue, but I have no explanation why HW does it. Apparently this is programmed into HW on purpose to increase stability when installing from poor external dirves, but in this case it breaks the process. I was not aware of this issue before, sorry.

As a consequence I will do two things:
First: I will add a note to that on the web page so that people are alerted to it.
Second: I will extend the evaluation period by one week to last until February 10th.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has created!

Best regards
Reiner

ReinerS

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Short update on the issue:
It is related to a change in filenaming convention of multipart rar-archives. The filenames used to be .rar, .r00, .r01, .r02 and so on up to .r99, now they are part1.rar, part2.rar, etc. HW correctly handles multipart archives following the old style naming even when installing from a SUB drive, but cannot handle the new one. I am just doing some testing and it looks like it is sufficient to rename the files accordingly. The unpacking works even when the files are simply renamed to follow the old convention, and the md5 checksums also remain unchanged.
So I will rename the files on the server accordingly and then it is no problem any more to load from USB sticks. I will let you know when this is done.

Best regards
Reiner

IainStinson

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Reiner, are you going to produce a booklet for this sample set as you have done for your other sample sets. I find these very useful, so please do produce a booklet!

I am enjoying playing this sample set, though it does take a little while to get accustomed to the long reverberation time - you need to allow the music to "breathe" more than in a dryer environment.

Iain

1961TC4ME

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 7:33 pm

A short update from my end. After attempting 1 more time just out of curiosity to see what would happen since the 6 files on my USB stick checked out clean, I attempted an install from it. Sure enough same deal, 99% there and again the same 'can't extract' message (or possibly out of hard drive space) right at the end. I then sent the files in a folder to my hard drive and lo and behold the set installed without issue. So thanks, Tony for the tip. Also, now that we know what we know and Reiner has confirmed the issue and has graciously extended the discount to 02-10-19, it now gives me ample time to explore this set, so thanks for that.

I only had a few minutes last night to try it out and can only say for now that the acoustics are awesome! Have never heard anything quite like this from any other set!

Marc

ReinerS

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 5:20 am

Reiner, are you going to produce a booklet for this sample set as you have done for your other sample sets. I find these very useful, so please do produce a booklet!

The booklet is enclosed with the set in just the same formatting as the previous ones. In practically all of my sets the PDF of the booklet is installed with the set so that the HW menu "Organ->Show Organ Information" will bring it up in whatever pdf-reader is installed on your system.
The only reason I did not put it up on the website as an extra download is that it does not contain additional information beyond what is on the website, essentially the description in my shop is a nearly exact copy of the booklet in terms of content.

@Marc: Very happy you did not give up and got it loaded, and even more happy that you seem to like it! Have fun!

Best regards
Reiner

ReinerS

Final call: introductory offer valid only 3 more days

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 7:53 am

Dear all,

just to remind you that the introductory offer will end on Sunday, Feb. 10th. After that the price for this sample set will increase from 310€ (plus AVT) to 350€ (plus VAT).

Best regards
Reiner

jerrymartin

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 9:15 pm

Reiner,

I wanted to write a short note of thanks.

This is a stunning sample set; and my thanks for your very efficient turnaround regarding licencing. I was up and running in no time. I was able to invest in Apple's newest mini this Christmas - hence I've been looking for sample sets that optimize my setup which is surround sound capable.

Lovely wet accoustic - but the direct response makes accurate playing very possible.

I've been having such a lot of fun with this set and know it will be one of my go-to for years to come.

Thank you again!!

Jerry
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments