It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

Now Released!!! Furtwängler & Hammer, Kaiserdom Königslutter

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

ReinerS

Now Released!!! Furtwängler & Hammer, Kaiserdom Königslutter

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 9:04 am

Last edited by ReinerS on Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

IainStinson

Re: Coming soon

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 4:45 pm

Great pictures and performance by the late John Scott of the Overture to St Paul (Mendelssohn, arr WT Best).

Organ details at https://www.koenigslutter-kaiserdom.de/default.asp?LNG=DE&NAV=75.

Could be a great new sample set?

Iain

Erzahler

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 5:50 pm

This should be good.
More English details and Spec. here;
http://www.freiburgerorgelbau.de/en/org ... igslutter/

ReinerS

PostTue Jul 24, 2018 7:05 am

I suppose it will be good! Acoustics in the cathedral are enormous, so with four channel technique the set will be adjustable between wet and soaking wet. Main mikes are place in line with the organ facade about 10 m away from the pipework, giving both exceptional clarity and great acoustics. (Quite a challenge at about 14m above the floor).
Recordings in progress this week, planned release later this year.
I hope to be able to post some teaser demos in a few weeks, when I'll have the first stops processed.

Best
Reiner

sesquialtera

PostTue Jul 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Great pictures and performance by the late John Scott of the Overture to St Paul (Mendelssohn, arr WT Best).

The real organ sounds great in this clip, and it could be a promissing sampleset. (for christmas ?)

Please, don't tune each sample, let them as they sound together here, it will be far more realistic than a too perfectly artificialy tuned sampleset.
Unless you're a great concertist and they tune it for you just before your concert, a real pipe organ is always out of tune !

adri

PostWed Jul 25, 2018 4:11 pm

What an amazing church interior! Never seen anything like it. Simply fantastic.
Organ sounds very good in this space as well.

ReinerS

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks for the positive feedback!
Recordings will be finished tonight.

@sesquialtera: I will probably only tune those samples that are way off (I noticed one or two pedal pipes that were almost a full semitone off). In general the organ is quite well tuned anyway, so not much correction will be required.

Random tuning in HW will be turned off completely (Parameters in the odf set to ignore random detuning) as this is a surround set and Hauptwerk still is not able to make sure that front and rear samples stay in tune when applying random detuning. I may devise an alternate method that provides an implemented scalable random detuning within the set as an additional option. Should not be very hard to do.

Best
Reiner

ReinerS

sesquialtera

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 12:48 pm

Thank you Mr. Pipeloops !
It sounds promissing, even with one stop only, and without breathing between phrases of this choral.

The recording is from a MIDI file and just shows the Principal 8' from the Great, which happens to be the first stop I worked on. At the moment just a quick shot, parameter fine tuning still in progress.

Not too fine tuning, I hope !

PS : ...and what about a complete new version of Laeken ?

ReinerS

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 7:40 am

today I posted the next set of demo recordings on Contrebombarde. The set is nearly complete and will definitely be published well before Christmas. I'll be happy to learn about your opinion on these recordings.

Best regards
Reiner

1961TC4ME

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 12:55 pm

I'm sure liking the sound of this one! :D I just listened to both examples of the front and rear recordings, they both sound really good but I'd say I lean towards the 'front' example mainly because it is very clear, greater clarity and it still has a very good acoustic in the sound. I did comment on CCH but will also say here, if a person is looking for a wet set with great sound and clarity, this one sure seems to fill the bill. The recordings and use of the acoustics sound spot on! Also sounds to be a bigger instrument than it actually is.

Reiner,

Are you planning to make any modifications, extensions, etc., to this instrument? A 32' and a Bombarde would really round this one out. If the extensions end up sounding as good as the rest of the instrument and blend in well, I'd certainly have no problems with an add-on here or there.

Marc

TheOrganDoc

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 3:25 pm

"When I was tuning Pipe Organs, "I always Tuned Dead On" [With the exception to Celeste's] , On occasion I would check the tuning the day after, and I enjoyed the slight tuning variations, that time had always provided ! ! ! There was always at least one pipe, that needed a touch-up, and as usual, in the treble !

This effect is what gives life to the sounds of Pipe Organs, to me, (TheOrganDoc) Mel "

sesquialtera wrote:Thank you Mr. Pipeloops !
It sounds promissing, even with one stop only, and without breathing between phrases of this choral.

The recording is from a MIDI file and just shows the Principal 8' from the Great, which happens to be the first stop I worked on. At the moment just a quick shot, parameter fine tuning still in progress.

Not too fine tuning, I hope !

PS : ...and what about a complete new version of Laeken ?
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

ReinerS

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 2:06 am

Thanks, I am glad you like the sound!

Regarding the tuning: As I mentioned in the comment on CB the organ was quite well tuned at the time of the recording and when you select Original Tuning in Hauptwerk it sounds just like it did in reality! However, selecting a tempered scheme ("equal") will bring everything into perfect tuning, resulting ins a much less lively sound. Also remember that for a four channel set such as this the random detuning function in Hauptwerk cannot be used, as front and rear channels may get detuned by different amounts. I am thinking of providing a pseudo random detuning option in the sample set.

Did I mention that the set also features sampled tremulants? And a wonderful free-reed clarinet? I'll try to produce some demos of these next.

Reiner

Lougheed

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 9:12 am

ReinerS wrote:And a wonderful free-reed clarinet? I'll try to produce some demos of these next.

Reiner

What's a free-reed clarinet?

ReinerS

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 11:02 am

Lougheed wrote:What's a free-reed clarinet?

It is a clarinet stop with a free reed, i.e. a reed that moves freely in both directions like in a reed organ or accordeon. It has a very distinct sound and a very soft attack. Rather interesting.
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments