It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 am

MIDI Question - Looking to Add a Third Manual Keyboard

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

BLF

MIDI Question - Looking to Add a Third Manual Keyboard

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 8:28 am

Hi, my son is a Paramount 320 user and we have it set up for live performance with a Nord C2D and the Nord 27 pedal keys.

We have 5 pin midi cables coming from the Midi IN and Midi Out of the Nord C2D to an M-Audio 2x2M with the monitors coming out it's audio outputs. All is great as is .....

He wants to add a "small" 61 key controller as a third manual and I'm trying to confirm if it NEEDS both 5 pin midi in and outs? All the small 61 key midi controllers have one MIDI out 5 pin and a USB midi.

Can we just connect this second midi keyboard with one of the 5 pin midi cables on a Midisport UNO and the USB end right into the CPU ?

My son (12 years old but very into this stuff) is convinced we need the extra keyboard controller to have BOTH Midi in and out.......

Hopefully that makes sense ------ thanks for any thoughts :D

Grant_Youngman

Re: MIDI Question - Looking to Add a Third Manual Keyboard

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 8:57 am

Generally, there would be no specific need for your additional 61-key controller to have midi-in, unless you wanted to daisy chain yet another keyboard through it, or if you needed midi to program midi channel number. etc. If you can set up the midi channel configuration of the new controller on the controller itself, then midi-out only should be fine, and if there's no midi-in that's a clear indication that you don't need it to program the controller.

It doesn't look like the Nord has a midi-thru function (for daisy chaining, but the manual may just be unclear), and if you're using midi-in on the Nord to access sounds or send patches to the Nord, it wouldn't necessarily be available anyway.

Yes, just plug that additional controller into your Uno and into the computer.
Grant

BLF

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 9:04 am

Thanks so much Grant for the quick reply! We will try just that and appreciate the info

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Grant_Youngman

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Just an FYI … I seem to recall that there have been some issues reported in the past about the Uno related to midi latency through the device. It's certainly worth a try, and I may be thinking of a different device, or maybe it's been fixed in current production.

in the long run, you may want to consider something on the order of a MidiSport 2x2 or 4x4 interface, which aggregates all of the midi going to the computer into a single midi/USB port. Windows has been known to "forget" its enumeration of which midi interfaces are on which USB port when there are multiple USB/midi interfaces going directly to the PC.

But for starters, try the Uno, and if it works well for you, you're good. :-)
Grant

BLF

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Ok thanks - I actually have a MOTU Fastlane :

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... stlane-usb

Can I use this instead of the UNO?

engrssc

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 3:21 pm

BLF wrote:Can I use this instead of the UNO?

Yes , better than an Uno.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing